Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #161
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for some reason I thgought you hads wife and kids and all that in the bus on your trips..
Naw... had one once - still miss her terribly. Three boys but they are grown and doing their own thing. My company is my cat - Buddy. Sadly, I had to give him away last fall when I attempted my sailboat adventure. I will be getting another just as soon as the bus is sufficiently complete that I don't have to worry about him/her (soon - the next couple of months). I did not previously fancy myself as a cat person but Buddy provided LOTS of entertainment and companionship. I hope to do as well with the next. Other than that, three bicycles and lots of tools/hobbies to try and stay occupied (and the job, of course). Too much free time seems to just get me in trouble.

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #162
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
My plan is to route a tiny channel into the OSB sub-floor and stick the wire in it. Then install the flooring over the top. All that routing sounds like a ton of work and I don't like that. However; I haven't come up with anything better yet. Maybe someone has an idea?? The goal is for the cork planks to lay flat and not spend a bunch of money.
https://www.houzz.com/photos/6524761...ng-and-cooling

Random link but I have the mat stuff in the house. No idea what the power draw is but you could get this stuff and then some self leveling goop. Flooring, it being tile or wood, goes directly on the self leveling stuff. I don't remember what the goop cost either but I only had two mats in the kitchen. I don't think there's even 100 sq ft of goop either.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #163
Bus Geek

Quote:
Naw... had one once - still miss her terribly. Three boys but they are grown and doing their own thing. My company is my cat - Buddy. Sadly, I had to give him away last fall when I attempted my sailboat adventure. I will be getting another just as soon as the bus is sufficiently complete that I don't have to worry about him/her (soon - the next couple of months). I did not previously fancy myself as a cat person but Buddy provided LOTS of entertainment and companionship. I hope to do as well with the next. Other than that, three bicycles and lots of tools/hobbies to try and stay occupied (and the job, of course). Too much free time seems to just get me in trouble.
What the hell is wrong with you? Cats have been sailing almost as long as there has been sailing.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #164
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
What the hell is wrong with you? Cats have been sailing almost as long as there has been sailing.
I know... I know... It is the airlines with international connections to countries that have issues with importing cats that was the real problem. I strongly suspect he would have enjoyed being on the boat - lots of things to climb on and plenty of fish (and even turtles) to watch.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #165
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Random link but I have the mat stuff in the house. No idea what the power draw is but you could get this stuff and then some self leveling goop. Flooring, it being tile or wood, goes directly on the self leveling stuff. I don't remember what the goop cost either but I only had two mats in the kitchen. I don't think there's even 100 sq ft of goop either.
Thanks for that Bob. I opened the warming system box this weekend to begin installing it and there were all sorts of warnings that it must be installed in "goop". I wasn't going to do that so I abandoned the warm floor idea and installed the flooring without it. My poor little toes will complain about six months from now.

On a 'glass is half full' note, the flooring is very easy to install and now that it is all cut and trimmed to fit, pulling it up to install a warming system (down the road) and laying it back down would be a pretty easy job.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #166
Bus Crazy

A photo of the cork plank flooring. It is "Heritage Mill Macadamia Cork" from Home Depot. It comes in wide planks (~12") and is a "floating" floor. So far I like it!

You can also see progress on a wall/pocket door between the kitchen and bathroom and some blue foam on the ceiling (front half of bus only, so far).

This week I'm constructing a kitchen countertop and waiting for the kitchen sink to arrive.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #167
Bus Geek

Quote:
I know... I know... It is the airlines with international connections to countries that have issues with importing cats that was the real problem. I strongly suspect he would have enjoyed being on the boat - lots of things to climb on and plenty of fish (and even turtles) to watch.
Um, from the US there are no international connections to at least 2 oceans. I realize driving thru WV or MS may seem foreign but you don't need a passport and as far as I know they are ok with cats. Once on the boat he doesn't get any shore leave if you happen to be in a country that doesn't like cats.

Quote:
On a 'glass is half full' note, the flooring is very easy to install and now that it is all cut and trimmed to fit, pulling it up to install a warming system (down the road) and laying it back down would be a pretty easy job.
Is it already in the budget for winter or is teh level of suffering going to dictate the priority of the addition?

Quote:
Fromt the fridge picture/
How tall is your ceiling? Doesn't look very high. I'm going to do a roof raise but would still like a full size fridge and space above it.

Quote:
This week I'm constructing a kitchen countertop and waiting for the kitchen sink to arrive.
What is the counter top going to be made out of?

My bus isn't making enough progress... I want to get back to some woodworking. Which reminds me... now that it's uploaded...

I was at Hearne Hardwoods (highly recommend the place), digging thru their scrap bin (again) and I found this...

For those that are image challenged, it's a bear. I didn't shape the wood at all. All I did was sand it and put some polyurethane on it. Needs a second coat and I might cut him off at the torso. He's going on the bus.

Wow, that's not the URL I copied. Anywho, love that place. Easy way to put the wallet on a crash diet whenever it's feeling fat and fluffy. The most expensive stuff they have is $300 a board foot. That's board foot, not linear foot. The cheapest is white oak at $2. Scrap bins are $1, $2, and $4 a pound. Lots of walnut, Koa (the bear is Koa; normally $42 a b/ft), and Cacobolo in the scrap bins.

Hearne Hardwoods with over 140 species of domestic and exotic hardwoods in stock, is one of the largest specialty lumber yards in the world. We are a retailer of exotic wood up to 84 inches wide, figured wood, hardwood flooring and millwork services.
Attached Thumbnails
bear.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #168
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Um, from the US there are no international connections to at least 2 oceans.
Think larger. Boat was at St. Lucia, it is hard to drive there.

Quote:
Is it already in the budget for winter or is teh level of suffering going to dictate the priority of the addition?
It is in the budget. It appears that the ThermoFloor and ThermoFilm are both options that would work. I just have to get back in the mood. That will likely take some colder weather as there are plenty of other tasks.

Quote:
How tall is your ceiling? Doesn't look very high. I'm going to do a roof raise but would still like a full size fridge and space above it.
The inside ceiling height started out at 78.5 inches. It is currently 76.5" (after floor and ceiling insulation). I still have some more stuff to add on the ceiling so it will come down a bit more. Not ideal for someone that is 6'5" but I'm not one of those.

Quote:
What is the counter top going to be made out of?
Initially I'm just doing a stained/urethane'd plywood countertop - a quick/easy/cheap solution for the time being. I really like the looks of concrete and solid surface tops but the work of the former and the price of the latter is more than I want right now. I have a friend in the Travertine business that I'll be seeing this winter. We'll see if he can talk me into that - I suspect he will.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #169
Bus Geek

[QUOTE=JDOnThe[/quote]Last I checked there were no size limits to ships found in the Atlantic or Pacific. Pretty sure even the little tankers in teh Chesapeake are bigger than whatever you're sporting.

Quote:
It is in the budget. It appears that the ThermoFloor and ThermoFilm are both options that would work. I just have to get back in the mood. That will likely take some colder weather as there are plenty of other tasks.
Freezing your as5 off is great motivation.

Quote:
The inside ceiling height started out at 78.5 inches. It is currently 76.5" (after floor and ceiling insulation). I still have some more stuff to add on the ceiling so it will come down a bit more. Not ideal for someone that is 6'5" but I'm not one of those.
Wow, that sucks. I thought you coachies were taller than that.

Quote:
Initially I'm just doing a stained/urethane'd plywood countertop - a quick/easy/cheap solution for the time being. I really like the looks of concrete and solid surface tops but the work of the former and the price of the latter is more than I want right now. I have a friend in the Travertine business that I'll be seeing this winter. We'll see if he can talk me into that - I suspect he will.
I really want to do a butcher block style counter or at the very least table.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #170
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Last I checked there were no size limits to ships found in the Atlantic or Pacific. Pretty sure even the little tankers in teh Chesapeake are bigger than whatever you're sporting.
Not larger boat - larger planet.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #171
Bus Geek

Quote:
Not larger boat - larger planet.
Sail said boat to Miami, pick up said cat, continue sailing to anywhere with enough draft including but not limited to St. Lucia.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #172
Bus Crazy

First photo of the cheap kitchen counter top solution (until I decide what I really want). It did not come out very well. I tried a polyurethane called "Triple Thick" and it made a horrible mess which I ended up having to sand off. I am also now convinced that a light counter would be better than dark. Waiting for sink and faucet to arrive. They go on left in the spot that appears to have little/no polyurethane finish.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #173
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
What is EMF/RF? Please excuse my ignorance
EMF is electro-magnetic frequency or frequencies; used to refer to the electric energy field that more or less anything that consumes electricity generates. RF is radio frequency; more or less the same thing in conversational usage.

Devices that run on DC (direct current as opposed to AC alternating current like what comes out of the wall outlet) do not put out any EMR (electromagnetic radiation; a somewhat more accurate way to refer to the stuff). DC items include most anything you find on a car (without nitpicking) because DC is what comes out of a battery (any battery, from a flashlight on up to a photovoltaic storage system).

PSW is Pure Sine Wave; the good kind of AC. Its opposite is MSW; Modified Sine Wave. This refers to the power that comes out of an inverter (the part of the solar electric storage system that takes DC and makes it into AC). The electronics to create MSW are cheaper than that for PSW; some AC devices are not happy running on MSW.

OBS is likely OSB? Oriented Strand Board? Plywood only cheaper. If you've ever seen flat wood-like material that looks like it's been made out of wooden potato chips squashed flat and glued together, that's OSB.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #174
Bus Crazy

Man! I'm usually a little better than that. Got a couple of things wrong, and was 2 days late to boot. That's what 10 hours a day at a computer'll do to ya.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #175
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Man! I'm usually a little better than that. Got a couple of things wrong, and was 2 days late to boot. That's what 10 hours a day at a computer'll do to ya.
ROFL!! It happens to all of us sooner or later!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #176
Bus Crazy

The "Swanstone KS02518DB" kitchen sink that I ordered from Amazon showed up yesterday. I ordered it in "Canyon" color which, on the site, appeared to be a dark brown. In real life it is more like green. It also feels like plastic. So, it is being returned.

I haven't been too excited about a stainless sink but I've run out of options and time so I ordered one from Home Depot. It is a 28" double basin setup from MR Direct. It seems that most of the residential sinks these days are huge - 33" wide (or more) and finding a smaller one with some of the neater design features (like solid surface and low divider) is kinda tough.

... another week until a kitchen sink is operational...
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #177
Bus Geek

Quote:
First photo of the cheap kitchen counter top solution (until I decide what I really want). It did not come out very well. I tried a polyurethane called "Triple Thick" and it made a horrible mess which I ended up having to sand off. I am also now convinced that a light counter would be better than dark. Waiting for sink and faucet to arrive. They go on left in the spot that appears to have little/no polyurethane finish.

I like the base. Pre-made? I have a portable table saw, router, and a 12" planer. Not exactly cabinet making equipment. I don't have a biscuit cutter or even a table for the router. I would love to make my own but they wouldn't be close to square. Counter top in some kind of pattern I'll try.

Is that base attached? Put flooring down then the cabinet or just flooring around the cabinets?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #178
Bus Geek

Quote:
I haven't been too excited about a stainless sink but I've run out of options and time so I ordered one from Home Depot. It is a 28" double basin setup from MR Direct. It seems that most of the residential sinks these days are huge - 33" wide (or more) and finding a smaller one with some of the neater design features (like solid surface and low divider) is kinda tough.

... another week until a kitchen sink is operational...
I had teh same problem with the house sink. I wanted a double bowl and equal depths and one large/ one small which is a unicorn too. I had to order online.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #179
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I like the base. Pre-made? I have a portable table saw, router, and a 12" planer. Not exactly cabinet making equipment. I don't have a biscuit cutter or even a table for the router. I would love to make my own but they wouldn't be close to square. Counter top in some kind of pattern I'll try.

Is that base attached? Put flooring down then the cabinet or just flooring around the cabinets?
I know what you mean Bob, I would love to have the skills and tools of a cabinet maker but I do not. I had all the cabinets custom made. Details are here - including how I got them into the coach.

The cabinets are all firmly attached to the sub-floor (and bus side wall, for the tall ones). The flooring is installed around all the permanent and/or heavy items (cabinets, refrigerator, walls, etc.). The flooring needs to be free to expand/contract.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #180
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lovin the look of the interior!! .. Coach Bus windows make for such a nice modern and open feel compared to skoolie windows.. almost feels like you are in a rail car instead of a bus!.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar