Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #181
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I know what you mean Bob, I would love to have the skills and tools of a cabinet maker but I do not. I had all the cabinets custom made. Details are here - including how I got them into the coach.
I work with a guy that has a decent table saw and he's all for helping but I dunno if cabinets are within his skill set. I need to ask him.

Quote:
The cabinets are all firmly attached to the sub-floor ... The flooring is installed around
Oh that's right, you put in cork. Forgot about that. I saw OSB under your counter.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #182
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
lovin the look of the interior!! .. Coach Bus windows make for such a nice modern and open feel compared to skoolie windows.. almost feels like you are in a rail car instead of a bus!.
-Christopher
Thanks Christopher! I know what you mean - it is very neat. However; I sure wish I had a big awning when the sun is shining. It too is on the list, just hasn't risen to the top yet. Never happy....
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #183
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
However; I sure wish I had a big awning when the sun is shining. It too is on the list, just hasn't risen to the top yet. Never happy....
I'd rather just park somewhere like this...
Attached Thumbnails
WA.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #184
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I'd rather just park somewhere like this..
Very nice!

I am not too partial as long as it is beautiful, quiet, and mostly devoid of humans. Being from the west, I spend most of my time there and start to get bad headaches east of the Pecos, terribly ill east of the Mississippi. Temperature is controlled by north/south and high/low (elevation).

I end up in places like the following. My outfit is in all of these photos - some you have to look a bit harder than others. I was talking to someone on another thread about the challenges of having cellular data for working (J - O - B) and I had it in all these places. I know some like to camp where there is none (cell signal) - that's very neat and the day I am no longer working will find me in those spots too.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #185
Bus Geek

Someone has one of those quad RCs and a go pro!!

Those are all far too dry for my liking. Fine for a visit but I wouldn't want to long term it. I agree with the head count on two legged non feathered critters. And once I'm mobile (maybe before) I will be kissing the east coast humidity good bye. I'll have to disagree on the signal connection tho. I've been following along in the connection as well. Even without a j-o-b, I'm still going to want an internet connection just so I can post pictures. "My view is better than your cubicle; sucks to be you." I won't let the lack of connection keep me away from some place but I'll need to swing by a Barnes & Nobles once in awhile.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #186
Bus Crazy

Yesterday I put together a bathroom countertop. Similar construction as the kitchen but only one layer of plywood. This morning I was out at the crack of down staining and applying polyurethane.

I have a Travertine vessel sink showing up on Monday and I am hoping it looks great on the dark counter. Also hoping it shows up looking something like its photo - unlike the kitchen sink.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #187
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
We have very similar tastes in campsites. Great shots, thanks for sharing.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #188
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
@jd what are those locations?? Beautiful!
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #189
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam

Could you hear over the noise of your neighbours out there? Those campsites seem pretty close.

John, also a JD
Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #190
Bus Crazy

Thanks all! In order, those spots are near Bowie, AZ, near Nathrop, CO, near Farmington, NM, near Tres Piedras, NM, southern tip of Flaming Gorge NRA (just inside UT), and near Lake Havasu City, AZ.

John; yes - lots of noise out there!! I know I'm a bit off but I sure enjoy being able to hear the wind blowing thru the trees, the pinecones falling, and all the other sounds of the forest/nature. I suppose that is why I am so pro-solar and so anti-loud/construction site generator (as well as other human "noise").

I was surprised by a FedEx delivery today! My bathroom sink arrived. So, I went right to work installing it.

The photo makes the colors look "off" - it actually looks pretty good. It is "Turkish Travertine" stone. The faucet is still on the way so it looks a bit lonely... Yes... I will eventually put a wall/covering over the blue foam and 2x4 studs.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #191
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
looks great, without going thru your whole thread , any pictures of the lithium set up?

Thanks, j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #192
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
looks great, without going thru your whole thread , any pictures of the lithium set up?
Thanks Joe!

For a more detailed look, explanation, and reasoning; see these posts:

Lithium Battery (LFMP) for Missy - JdFinley.com
Installing a Lithium Battery Bank - JdFinley.com
Programming Solar Charge Controller for Lithium - JdFinley.com
Old 07-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #193
Bus Crazy

Happy Independence Day everyone!

The new kitchen sink, faucet, and bathroom faucet arrived yesterday. I also made the haul up to the home improvement store (which isn't just across the street).

I hoped to be installing the sink today but only after seeing it did I figure out how to make the cut in the countertop for it. So, a new router bit has been ordered but won't be here til Thursday (gotta love Amazon Prime!!).

Nonetheless; today has me working on plumbing - mostly. I was asked on my blog for a more detailed write-up of my hitch so I hope to get around to that. Maybe even a brat or burger... or both... as well!!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #194
Bus Crazy

Well... a bust on the kitchen sink installation. The flush trim router bit that I ordered was too short. So... ordered another one.

I did get the bathroom faucet installed though. I think it looks mighty neat - if you can ignore the blue foam insulation and 2x4 stud wall...

I am headed to Mitchell, SD this weekend. I plan a wee bit of shopping at Cabela's. I was then going to stay in a campground on the Missouri (in SD) but the forecast is for 104 degrees on Sunday and about 100 the rest of the week. I cannot handle that. So, I'm making a run for the elevation of the western mountains. The only hitch in my plan is that I want to visit a friend in Nebraska. The heat will be my guide!!

I'm not sure why but the Minnesotan mosquitoes (their state bird) have found me this week. I was planning on heading west this weekend anyway but if I wasn't, I would be now!! I get a dozen bites at night (somehow). The bites are not too annoying in the morning but by mid-afternoon they look like big boils, itch like crazy, and I feel like I'm going out of my mind. So, time to go!!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #195
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Someone has one of those quad RCs and a go pro!!

Those are all far too dry for my liking. Fine for a visit but I wouldn't want to long term it. I agree with the head count on two legged non feathered critters. And once I'm mobile (maybe before) I will be kissing the east coast humidity good bye. I'll have to disagree on the signal connection tho. I've been following along in the connection as well. Even without a j-o-b, I'm still going to want an internet connection just so I can post pictures. "My view is better than your cubicle; sucks to be you." I won't let the lack of connection keep me away from some place but I'll need to swing by a Barnes & Nobles once in awhile.
I have a j-o-b without a cubicle... my "cubicle" can be a city street, a coffee shop, a park, a school bus seat, an airplane seat.. really anyplace I can get internet.. and to be truthful I dont need internet every day to do my work as alot of my code-writing or system design is done on the local laptop and easily accomplished without a constant connection.. more and more companies are allowing teleworking, skype, VPN etc.. one of my friends travels for a living.. he fixes mechanical machines in factories.. the PLC's , scales, electrical, mechanical, etc.. when is on down-time he can answer tech support calls via the VPN and cisco softphone app wherever he happens to be.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #196
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
love that bathroom sink!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #197
Bus Crazy

The Great Crossing or Race to Beat the Heat (your preference) was a success. I am now firmly planted at 8,000' in the Wyoming mountains! It feels wonderful!

Missy did great on the 850 mile trip. However; the power steering leak that was once fixed is now unfixed. It manifests itself as oily goo all of the rear of the bus and all over my Jeep.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #198
Bus Crazy

Making a wee bit of progress... water flowing in bathroom sink.

And enjoying high-altitude boondocking far away from all the heat!

It would have been great to join the get together in Arizona this weekend but just too far away. Hope you guys have a blast!!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #199
Bus Crazy

Well... sadly... it seems I have been lied to. Worse, I repeated and spread the lie here. Terribly sorry about that.

I've been a bit confused about my power use. The calculated numbers were not aligning with the measured numbers. So, I was going to record some numbers from various pieces of equipment using my Kill-A-Watt meter yesterday.

What I found shocked me. It seems that my meter has either recently broken (unlikely) or is unable to report amps/volts/watts being used when that power is coming from my MSW inverter. It turns on and appears to work but the important data is non-existent. I do not currently have shore power to confirm the meter works with it.

So, the average power usage of my refrigerator, that I reported previously, is wrong. I'm not sure how far off it is. At that time, I was using a combination of shore power and inverter power so I think it must have recorded the correct period of time but NOT the correct power use (not recording any power consumption when on inverter). At least that is my theory.

My apologies for reporting bad/inaccurate information.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #200
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Good that you figured it out. I can see that a modified Sine wave inverter throws the kill a watt meter off.
May be you can measure it better on the DC low voltage side thru the Ah side.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar