Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #481
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I feel bad that I haven't been doing much work on Missy lately. That said; living in her has been pretty comfortable. Currently staying up high on the Continental Divide in New Mexico. Everything is working great and I'm enjoying the solitude!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #482
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats a great testament that you are building your bus right and the way you want it!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #483
Bus Crazy

That is a great way to look at it Christopher - Thank you!!

I clearly focus too much on the little things and the "lazy" aspect. Need to shift focus!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #484
Bus Crazy

My current location. Very high (7,500' MSL) which makes for nice cool nights (low 40's) and mild highs (mid-70's).

I finally decided I better get going on the ceiling again. First, I had to finish the foam board installation. I started with the blue 1" but I can't find that locally here in the SW. So, I switched to the pink.

I've had a terrible time deciding on the ceiling itself. Unable to find what I want, I decided to put some white board and see how it looks.

Turns out that I like it more than I thought I would. I'm not a fan of all the fasteners but am thinking that a more decorative screw head would help. Would also like to add some design elements - some sort of flowing/shaped panel with LED back lighting. That might work well with the shiny nature of the white board. That will be down the road... probably a long ways down the road at the rate I'm going.

For those that are trying to figure out tank sizes... I am pretty thrifty with water use. Not to say I am in conservation mode, I just don't use a lot of it. I make a big pot of coffee everyday, drink LOTS of water, use the toilet like a normal person that drinks lots of coffee/water, and take a navy shower every third day or so. I am also solo which helps a great deal (in more ways than just water use!! ). With that in mind, my 130 gallon fresh water and 105 gallon black/grey combined tank EASILY last a whole month. I could probably stretch it out to six weeks (but haven't).
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #485
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
My current location. Very high (7,500' MSL) which makes for nice cool nights (low 40's) and mild highs (mid-70's).
Hard to beat those temps but it's just soooooo dry out there. Considering it's supposed to rain a week straight here (starting last weekend while I was out camping) dry might not be a bad thing tho.

Quote:
I started with the blue 1" but I can't find that locally here in the SW. So, I switched to the pink.
OMG how can you stand the clashing?

Quote:
That might work well with the shiny nature of the white board.
Ewww. I don't mind the white but the glossy? Did you get it on purpose or was there no matte white product available? Maybe I'm too used to house ceilings. I don't think I'd want anything glossy even if it was wood paneling.

You could go all steam punk with some kind of fancy bolt head but that might require changes thru out the bus. Would be cool to see one done that way but I dunno about living in one. Probably get to be too much after awhile.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #486
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howza'bout some old school auto trim screws?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-qty-Chro...-/111056226529

Even better if found in SS.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #487
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
...but it's just soooooo dry out there.
Oh trust me Bob, if I could afford a tank of gas I would get out of this hell hole they call "the west" in an instant. I'd be back east where everyone belongs. For those thinking of going to the west - don't do it - PLEASE!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #488
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howza'bout some old school auto trim screws?..
That's about what is there now - temporarily. I'm currently focused on "testing" the panel more than the fasteners. No matter what I end up with for a panel, reducing the number of visible fasteners will be a priority. There are some options, such as trim strips or at least the same color fastener head. However; I'm leaning more toward some panels that hang down a wee bit (3D look), blend with everything else, and have some accent lighting. Being a bit creative, these can hide many of the fasteners.

The following is not the look I'm after but sort gives an idea of what I'm attempting to describe.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #489
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh trust me Bob, if I could afford a tank of gas I would get out of this hell hole they call "the west" in an instant. I'd be back east where everyone belongs. For those thinking of going to the west - don't do it - PLEASE!!!
You can't be that broke. You're always driving around somewhere.

Not biblical by any means but it is getting a bit much.

Attached Thumbnails
Rain1.jpg   Rain2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #490
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Quote:

This comment strongly reminds me of when I was stationed at Whidbey Island NAS. I loved it there and all I told other Navy types about was how it rained all the time and never got warm.
Bob
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:19 AM   #491
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snonut View Post
This comment strongly reminds me of when I was stationed at Whidbey Island NAS. I loved it there and all I told other Navy types about was how it rained all the time and never got warm.
Bob
BOB!!! That is a terrible thing to do!!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #492
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by snonut View Post
Bob
Had to google that. I've really considered moving out there. Work at Navy base in Bremerton. May still someday oneday.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #493
Bus Crazy

Back in post #451 I mentioned the installation of a few LED lights in the ceiling. PNW_Steve recently asked for some data on these.

The numbers bounced around a wee bit during measurement - that always makes me nervous. Regardless, these are the 'observed averages'. Keep in mind, these are running from 24VDC system which at the time of measure was sitting at 28.3VDC (per the BMS).

For a single light/panel:
Brightest setting: 150mA at 27 VDC.
Dimmest setting: 100mA at 20.7 VDC.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #494
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi jd. Nice values.. Did you mean with the dimmest setting GS that your battery voltage was 20.8 volt per BMS or that the dimmer supplied reduced voltage at the led terminals?
This j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #495
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Thank you JD.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #496
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hi jd. Nice values.. Did you mean with the dimmest setting GS that your battery voltage was 20.8 volt per BMS or that the dimmer supplied reduced voltage at the led terminals?
This j
Howdy Johan! The latter. The battery voltage was constant. The dimmer was supplying reduced voltage to the LED's to accomplish the dimming.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #497
Bus Crazy

In a recent moment of weakness, I broke down and bought a satellite TV system. None of it is rocket science to setup/install so I won't bore you with the details - especially since a photo is worth a thousand words. If you really like details, they are here.

The antenna is about 13" tall and that is about 6" taller than the highest item currently up on the roof (Camco Cyclone holding tank vent). So, Missy is now about 12' 10" tall (calculated) at normal ride height.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #498

Is 45' too long?

Hello, I'm in the beginning stages of converting a 40' school bus, and I had a chance to check out a 1998 MCI DL3 yesterday. The MCI has so much space and the big windows are really nice. I'm thinking about selling the skoolie and and converting the MCI, but I'm worried about the length and height. You seem to go to amazing places with your 45' coach. How is it driving on tight two lane mountain roads, dirt roads etc. And insight you can provide would be great.
Capc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #499
Bus Crazy

Howdy Capc!

I suppose the first thing to note is that there are many places I cannot go with Missy! Many, many, many places.

That said, I most certainly do get off the beaten path. The trick, in my opinion, is scouting the road/trail first. I tow a Jeep Wrangler so it is my scouting vehicle. I have a low and high ride feature and I use the high-ride when off-roading. It provides much more clearance under the vehicle. Of course, that puts the roof closer to tree branches. I put one of the four backup cameras on the roof so I could see these branches. It doesn't work very well but slightly better than nothing.

The larger you go, the more restricted you become. It is all a series of compromises.

I have an ongoing debate going with a friend. He and his wife have a 33' motorhome and they never boondock, are not full-timers, eat out all the time, and rarely carry more than a few items in their refrigerator when traveling. He thinks a big diesel pusher is crazy. However; I can't seem to convince him that it is about weight. I carry a huge amount of food, water, solar, battery, etc. plus everything I own (including tools, table saw, radial arm saw, bicycles, summer/winter clothes, keep-sakes, etc.). All of that adds up to weight and, obviously, requires space. I could live just as happily in a smaller coach but I would have to live differently. I could not boondock for a month at a time nor carry all of my belongings, for example. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I wanted to achieve. It certainly comes at a price - both dollars and accessibility. Like I said, compromises...
Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #500
Bus Geek

Quote:
I put one of the four backup cameras on the roof so I could see these branches. It doesn't work very well but slightly better than nothing.
Put it up front along the edging edge? Between the new disco ball and the edge in the center. <-- that distance.

The larger you go, the more restricted you become. It is all a series of compromises.

Quote:
I have an ongoing debate going with a friend. He and his wife have a 33' motorhome and they never boondock, are not full-timers, eat out all the time, and rarely carry more than a few items in their refrigerator when traveling. He thinks a big diesel pusher is crazy.
Let me guess, he's got a little gasser engine in an F-450 chassis.

I went' looking purposely for the pusher in the skoolie. Just wish I had more transmission.

Quote:
(including tools, table saw, radial arm saw, bicycles, summer/winter clothes, keep-sakes, etc.)...

I could not boondock for a month at a time
You aren't using all of these tools while boondocking are you? I don't remember your solar setup but that would be some serious current draw.

Besides if I'm living vicariously thru you, you aren't supposed to be working.

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar