Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #601
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
VERY good advice! There is a reason I consult with you guys!!
I dunno if you're allowed to use the term "super model" or not. Flexible should be ok tho. Missy isn't a kneeling bus or if she is , they don't need to know about it.

Sorry, a hazard of growing up with a cynical lawyer for a dad. You got female but then failed to mention 307lbs, 78 yrs old, smoker, and part time criminl to support the drug habit.The list can go on for days.

He wasn't even a particularly good lawyer from all accounts.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #602
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I dont worry about all that female stuff.. you all can have all that (and all the issues that go with..)

Bob if you can get Reefer routes you usually do well per mile on those! they tend to pay better..

totally understand wantung to have that finished aspect.. when im doing a project around my house it starts to drive me crazy when its not done.. esp if I know theres simple things I could be doing but am not!!

that MT643 swap in my DEV bus is getting that way.. to the point that even though my work is slammin im going to make time to just go 30 minutes a day to spin nuts and eventually it will get done.. and not be at a standstill like it is now..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #603
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dont worry about all that female stuff.. you all can have all that (and all the issues that go with..)
There are drama llamas on both sides of the fence.

Quote:
Bob if you can get Reefer routes you usually do well per mile on those! they tend to pay better..
I'd assume the jobs that don't suck, go to the guys with 10, 20, or even 30 yrs of driving.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #604
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
totally understand wantung to have that finished aspect.. when im doing a project around my house it starts to drive me crazy when its not done.. esp if I know theres simple things I could be doing but am not!!
In hindsight, my typical environment/routine is incredibly different than a traveling environment/routine. I guess I've been fallen into a bit of a rut.

My norm is boondocking far away from people and in very 'comfortable' environment. Being around people and in heat/humidity requires some different functionality.

A minor example is a curtain/shade for the front windows. I have reflectix that I put up and it works fine but it isn't very refined or convenient. A more significant example is running the air conditioning from generator. I forget how miserable it is to (attempt to) sleep in hot and sticky conditions (or what I consider hot and sticky).

I'll get there - just takes time. Speaking of time... I'm off to Sweden next week for work. My 'far east trip' just became a 'really far east trip!!'
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #605
Bus Geek

Quote:
I forget how miserable it is to (attempt to) sleep in hot and sticky conditions (or what I consider hot and sticky).
Can't/won't do it. It's the only part of a thru hike that has me worried.

Quote:
I'll get there - just takes time. Speaking of time... I'm off to Sweden next week for work. My 'far east trip' just became a 'really far east trip!!'
For real or did someone answer your ad for Swedish bikini swimsuit model? In either case, pretty cool but will Missy get jealous? I've never been but would probably love any of the Scandinavian countries.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #606
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Can't/won't do it. It's the only part of a thru hike that has me worried.
Boy I understand! Before my accident, I was getting pretty serious about some bicycle touring (specifically, the Tour Divide). The part that had me the most concerned was the sleeping bit.

Quote:
For real or did someone answer your ad for Swedish bikini swimsuit model? In either case, pretty cool but will Missy get jealous?
No response to the ad yet - very surprising to me!!

Ya, Stockholm for a week - mostly meetings so probably won't get to see a lot this trip. Yes, fingers crossed that whole slew of model candidates are waiting for me when I get off the plane. I suspect both Missy and the bus boys will be unhappy with me - what can I do - all these demands...
Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #607
Bus Geek

Quote:
Boy I understand! Before my accident, I was getting pretty serious about some bicycle touring (specifically, the Tour Divide). The part that had me the most concerned was the sleeping bit.
I don't know that one but then I also don't knowing cycling. I do run into the guys biking across the US.

What accident?

Quote:
No response to the ad yet - very surprising to me!! Yes, fingers crossed that whole slew of model candidates are waiting for me when I get off the plane.
First stop is the embassy if they aren't lined up in the concourse awaiting inspection. State Department needs to get involved. What kind of third world country are you trying to run here?!!??

Quote:
Ya, Stockholm for a week - mostly meetings so probably won't get to see a lot this trip.
I dunno if you've been before or not. I don't think it matters tho. MAKE TIME DAMNIT!!!

How's nickel are you traveling on? If it's theirs, you don't get much say tho I'm going to be staring at the clock starting about 3:00. By 3:30, I'll be tapping the watch. By 4, I'm going to be yawning. You don't even want to know what'll happen beyond 4:30. I'm on a different continent much less country. I've people to do and things to see. Let's wrap this up already!!

Quote:
I suspect both Missy and the bus boys will be unhappy with me - what can I do - all these demands...
It's a side effect of being so popular. I know how it goes.

Work is the same way. For someone so hated, they sure seem to miss me when I'm gone. Mostly because they can't blame **** on me if I wasn't even here.arseholes.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #608
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Aren't you guys getting biking and bikini mixed up?
Have fun, stay a couple of days longer, booze is expensive, take a legal amount along.

Later Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #609
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I've only got one question for you; why do they have to be separate?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #610
Bus Crazy

The Tour Divide is documented here. Basically an MTB route along the entire continental divide.

Quote:
What accident?
Well, it is a long story but this is a good summary post. You gave us fair warning so I will too - some would consider all of the photos gory.

Quote:
First stop is the embassy if they aren't lined up in the concourse awaiting inspection. State Department needs to get involved. What kind of third world country are you trying to run here?!!??
HA!! True!

Quote:
I dunno if you've been before or not. I don't think it matters tho. MAKE TIMER DAMNIT!!!
Yeah... I know.... The kind of sight seeing that I prefer involves cycling/hiking/camping gear and isolated places - that requires more time/commitment. I'm sure we'll take a look at Stockholm but I've usually had enough of 'population centers' after about 30 minutes. Now, if the "team" is there for evaluation/interview... well... maybe I'd be more interested.

I should note... Went to Scotland a few years ago and did a lot of Geocaching. That led to seeing a bunch of really great places (far away from 'it all'). So, I've concluded that Geocaching, for me at least, is a great tool for exploring an area.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #611
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
HA!! They are strikingly similar!!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #612
Bus Geek

Quote:
The Tour Divide is documented here. Basically an MTB route along the entire continental divide.
Wow, I gotta say and confess... I figured it was along the Divide because of name but assumed it was road biking. Should have taken a context clue from you that it wasn't spandex and skinny little tires. Those are the bikers I run in to but then I only run into people in the population centers even if the population is 5,000.

I could see myself doing something like that.

Haven't got past teh page you linked but will check it out for sure.

Quote:
Well, it is a long story but this is a good summary post. You gave us fair warning so I will too - some would consider all of the photos gory.
I'll have to check this out too

Quote:
Yeah... I know.... The kind of sight seeing that I prefer involves cycling/hiking/camping gear and isolated places - that requires more time/commitment. I'm sure we'll take a look at Stockholm but I've usually had enough of 'population centers' after about 30 minutes. Now, if the "team" is there for evaluation/interview... well... maybe I'd be more interested.

I should note... Went to Scotland a few years ago and did a lot of Geocaching. That led to seeing a bunch of really great places (far away from 'it all'). So, I've concluded that Geocaching, for me at least, is a great tool for exploring an area.
For a visit, I'm fine with urban. It's where the food is.

If I was living there, I'd be good with either. I can commute to the wilds but jobs and groceries keep me close to populations.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #613
Bus Geek

Quote:
HA!! They are strikingly similar!!
Hey wait a minute. One of the links on another page says something about racing. That's like racing on the trail. Last one there wins!!

First, I ain't racing anyone up a mountain on a bike. Second, I want to take MONTHS if not years. Not days or weeks. Being in shape like a racer would be a plus considering some of those elevation maps they have. I'd be doing more hiking than biking up the mountain only now I have to carry a bike and a backpack?!!? Maybe I oughta reconsider.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #614
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Arm link
It was a bad one so surgery was the only option. This meant waiting for a slot. Thankfully, with diagnosis in hand, the morphine could start flowing, Oh what a relief!!!
Morphine; worthless stuff unless I need my nose to itch. Some ER doc or another on a previous trip told me it was either the best thing under the sun or did nothing. Guess which camp I'm in.

Lady on the ambulance gave me all she was allowed when I dislocated my knee. Told her it wasn't working. She swore because of the dose it had to be doing something. Um, sorry sweetheart but I'm pretty sure this is my leg and not yours. And I can tell you as a fact that it hurts just as much as before you loaded me in here. Mayke, thx, quit talking to me.

The leg did NOT hurt so long as I didn't move it. So, I sat very still, didn't move it, and let it slide that she didn't know beans about morphine. It was later that I found out it's great or worthless.

The attending that fixed my leg tried without anything first. That didn't last long. Then he gave me something via IV and it helped but not enough. That was a 5 minute wait or so. The next one he gave me, I did the watching the clock for the count down type thing.

I didn't fall alseep, I didn't wake up, and I wasn't "hung over". There was however 2 minutes missing from the clock. The minute hand simply jumped ahead and didn't wait for the second hand (analog clock). I sat there for probably a good 15~20 seconds trying to figure out where those 2 minutes went before I realized my leg was straight. Again I don't remember being sleepy, don't remember waking up, and wasn't foggy at all. I've no idea what the stuff was called but INSTANT cure for insomnia.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #615
Bus Geek

Finished the update reads. How's the arm now two yrs later?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #616
Bus Crazy

Four years now (October 2014). Generally sucks.

As they were rolling me into the operating room the first time, the surgeon told me that he thought I would probably lose the use of my arm. It is far better than that so he is pleased. I am thankful for what I've got but it is limiting.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #617
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats my biggest issue is the sleeping part.. and the reason i dont camp.. I love the rest of the camping thing.. i enjoy the fire and the cooking and hioking, exploring, mountain biking, etc.. but sleeping? yeah I want my A/C in summer or my Heat in winter....

so for me i just dont camp//
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #618
Bus Geek

Quote:
Four years now (October 2014). Generally sucks.

As they were rolling me into the operating room the first time, the surgeon told me that he thought I would probably lose the use of my arm. It is far better than that so he is pleased. I am thankful for what I've got but it is limiting.
2016 was the last update and presumably the last surgery? Removal of the hardware.

Still biking or have you given it up completely?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #619
Bus Crazy

Quote:
thats my biggest issue is the sleeping part..
I hear ya! I do a few flying/camping trips every year (like this one). I always shoot for "comfortable" temps and I can get by on 'not the best' sleep for a few days but it does add up. I imagine a 12 week cycling/camping trip might kill me.

Thus my advice - do it while your young!!!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #620
Bus Geek

Quote:
thats my biggest issue is the sleeping part.. and the reason i dont camp.. I love the rest of the camping thing.. i enjoy the fire and the cooking and hioking, exploring, mountain biking, etc.. but sleeping? yeah I want my A/C in summer or my Heat in winter....

so for me i just dont camp//
-Christopher
So why is it you don't RV? Without a job or with a remote job like you guys, I'd be like JD here; parked halfway up some unnamed mountain on a dirt road. I need a decent cell signal. Wi-Fi would be better but that's asking a lot. Comparing buses I can probably get further down the same dirt road he's on.

You;ve got the shorty so you can get further down than both of us. Slap some 4x4 action on Charlies lifted shortie and he can live on the cul-de-sac!!

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar