Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #1

Removing flooring on 1997 Diamond Coach Church Bus

I'm trying to replace the plywood flooring on my 1997 diamond coach church bus (6 window). The plywood flooring appears to be fiberglassed to the wall along the seam where they meet. There also seems to be a piece of wood trim that sits on top of the plywood that has also been glassed over.

Has anyone done this? I'm almost positive I'll need to cut the fiberglass along the seam where the floor and the wall meet, but it looks like I might need to cut higher than that as well.

estbiostudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L
Did you end up doing anything with this? I have the same style situation.
Lasagna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

oh boy was that a job, and yes I did. I highly recommend you join the "shuttle bus" facebook group. There was a fellow on there that also had this situation and did a decent job of documenting it. I picked his brain in a series of posts in the group that will probably help with the situation.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estbiostudent View Post
oh boy was that a job, and yes I did. I highly recommend you join the "shuttle bus" facebook group. There was a fellow on there that also had this situation and did a decent job of documenting it. I picked his brain in a series of posts in the group that will probably help with the situation.
Dope Thanks for the info!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

If you happen to see this... Any chance you have a link you could shoot me? I'm looking around and can't seem to find the post.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: E350 Shuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by estbiostudent View Post
Link for the Facebook thread?

What did you end up doing for the floor replacement?

I'm at this stage too, did you have the plastic first layer? Mine was just trapping water to be absorbed into the plywood, what a mess!
hrdcor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I haven't started on my floor yet, I am trying to get my windows sealed first. My bus had a rubber mat underneath the ply wood and was definitely trapping moisture. I have a few ideas about how I want to do it but the OP mentioned a facebook thread of someone who managed to replace the flooring. If I come across it I will see what I can do about sharing it.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: E350 Shuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasagna Dave View Post
I haven't started on my floor yet, I am trying to get my windows sealed first. My bus had a rubber mat underneath the ply wood and was definitely trapping moisture. I have a few ideas about how I want to do it but the OP mentioned a facebook thread of someone who managed to replace the flooring. If I come across it I will see what I can do about sharing it.
I'm thinking do away with the plastic layer and just treat some plywood with bedliner or something similar.
hrdcor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #9

links for conversation on fixing floor and windows

Another Diamond bus owner and I had a relatively lengthy conversation on repairing the floors and other parts of the bus. It ended up scattered over a bunch of posts in the "shuttle bus conversion" group on facebook. Here are some of the links:

discussion on fiberglassing the floor:
https://www.facebook.com/seanZeeTatt...48510419853512

Link provided by one of the members to his instragram account where he documented the demolition and rebuild:
https://instagram.com/p/Bay2XIhFORx/...yzoFkIJVXKqzoA

and his instragram account:
https://www.instagram.com/moksha_bus_5/

some additional conversations on window repair:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949...67414450140158
Old 03-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Additional notes and thoughts on the rebuild

As suggested by Sean Zee Tattoo (facebook user that I discussed diamond shuttle bus rebuilding with) I also used 1708 fiberglass to re-attach the walls to the floor (2 layers). For the plywood I used marine grade 3/4" from Menards in St. Louis. I highly recommend marine grade over any kind of interior grade from home depot. For the 1708 I did two layers along the entire seam. It's important to pre-apply resin to the plywood, or it will soak it all up.
I purchased the fiberglass from Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.. They shipped it pretty quick, but the best part about buying from them (as opposed to amazon or some other place similar) is you can call them and talk to the engineers directly. Describe what you're doing and they'll talk you through any concerns and what you'll need.
All in all though, it's a pricey job. I think easily over a grand between the plywood and fiberglass, plus oscillating tool bits, wire wheels, etc for the demolition.

One of the things that eventually will be important it to locate and inspect the status of the wood boards that are built into the wall and ceiling , and or use them for mounting things or lifting the body of the bus to get the plywood in. I recommend using a stud finder to help locate where they are and importantly, where they are not.

For the windows, in addition to a double layer of butyl tape obtained from home depot, I tried two different products to seal around the exterior edges: Sikaflex-221 and DAP Dynaflex 230. The Sikaflex was recommended by Sean, but the DAP Dynaflex was recommended by some RV repair videos on youtube (). The Dynaflex product is much easier to aplply and clean up, but it cracked within the first 72 hours post cure under the stress of bus movement, but the Sikaflex has continued to hold up very well.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Yo, Estbiostudent... This has been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for this info.