Old 10-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Random GPS thoughts..

I have had several Garmin GPS's. All of them had the speedometer feature.

What puzzles me is why each successive unit has performed worse than the previous.

My latest one I bought for a Mexico trip. It worked great in Mexico. Then I tried some obscure locations that it could not find. Like Portland Oregon.

Seriously, my newest and most expensive GPS is the worst one for navigating in the US.

Now I use my Android phone. I ignore it when it tells me to get on the highway Northbound when I know that I want to go South or make a right hand turn when I am on I-5 downtown Seattle.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I have an older Garmin gps and it shows speed in the lower corner of the map as you are driving. My speedo reads about 5 miles per hour slow because I put larger tires on.

In the Railroad world we are strictly forbidden to even have a phone turned on, even if useing it for speed, as many older locomotives do not have speedometers. It must be a dedicated gps and a not a personal cell phone.

In the US we can have cell phones on while driving and being used as gps. Just can not hold it in your hands. So hands free is ok.
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Random GPS thoughts..

I have had several Garmin GPS's. All of them had the speedometer feature.

What puzzles me is why each successive unit has performed worse than the previous.

My latest one I bought for a Mexico trip. It worked great in Mexico. Then I tried some obscure locations that it could not find. Like Portland Oregon.

Seriously, my newest and most expensive GPS is the worst one for navigating in the US.

Now I use my Android phone. I ignore it when it tells me to get on the highway Northbound when I know that I want to go South or make a right hand turn when I am on I-5 downtown Seattle.
I'd really like to get something electronic that registered speed and RPM - having GPS would be nice, but I'm from the old school and used to folding my directions up when I don't need them in front of me, so that part isn't as important as the speed and RPM - my bus has tall tires and the speedometer registers in MPH instead of KMPH - on top of that it's about 12 MPH out of whack - it's not a big deal to do the mental calculations to figure out MPH to KMPH when the speedo is accurate, but becomes more awkward when the speed given isn't accurate to start with - lol
Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have an older Garmin gps and it shows speed in the lower corner of the map as you are driving. My speedo reads about 5 miles per hour slow because I put larger tires on.

In the Railroad world we are strictly forbidden to even have a phone turned on, even if useing it for speed, as many older locomotives do not have speedometers. It must be a dedicated gps and a not a personal cell phone.

In the US we can have cell phones on while driving and being used as gps. Just can not hold it in your hands. So hands free is ok.
As best I understand it, different sections of track have different speed limits. If that is correct, how do you monitor your speed without a speedometer?

We had a bad train wreck here in WA a year or two ago when a train approached a curve leading to an overpass over I-5 too fast. The train derailed and dropped passanger cars onto I-5.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
As best I understand it, different sections of track have different speed limits. If that is correct, how do you monitor your speed without a speedometer?

We had a bad train wreck here in WA a year or two ago when a train approached a curve leading to an overpass over I-5 too fast. The train derailed and dropped passanger cars onto I-5.
Federal code prohibits locomotives without speedometers to (if I recall correctly) 20mph or less, and locomotives without event recorders (which includes speed recording) to 30mph or less (even if equipped with a speedometer). Therefore, older locomotives can operate on track with higher speed limits, but will be restricted to lower speeds due to the equipment they contain (or don't contain). There are lots more details, but this regulation is the primary regulation in play here, I suspect. The wreck you're talking about was likely due to failure to adhere to the posted speed limits. We had a wreck in my neck of the woods recently where an Amtrak train was going twice the posted speed limit... with disastrous results. There is technology that prevents this, which is active now on nearly all the Class I's (seven biggest railroads) now.

Chris
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Time over distance.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Time over distance.
True. I forgot to mention in my previous post that at lower speeds where a speedometer is not required, you "get the feel" for how quickly you're moving after some time, and minutes per milepost, as you infer, is a great sanity check. At 20mph, you should get 3 minutes per mile, 15mph is 4 minutes per mile, and so on.

Chris

PS - Railroading is my first passion, pre-bus, if you hadn't guessed...
Old 10-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
True. I forgot to mention in my previous post that at lower speeds where a speedometer is not required, you "get the feel" for how quickly you're moving after some time, and minutes per milepost, as you infer, is a great sanity check. At 20mph, you should get 3 minutes per mile, 15mph is 4 minutes per mile, and so on.

Chris

PS - Railroading is my first passion, pre-bus, if you hadn't guessed...

that's the same method I use to check the speed my sleddog teams are running - I also use it to check out the competition - race results list the mileage run and the times it took to run it - if my teams are averaging 3 minute miles and winning teams are averaging similar speeds, I can make an educated guess as to whether I'd be competitive in another circuit or not
Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Federal code prohibits locomotives without speedometers to (if I recall correctly) 20mph or less, and locomotives without event recorders (which includes speed recording) to 30mph or less (even if equipped with a speedometer). Therefore, older locomotives can operate on track with higher speed limits, but will be restricted to lower speeds due to the equipment they contain (or don't contain). There are lots more details, but this regulation is the primary regulation in play here, I suspect. The wreck you're talking about was likely due to failure to adhere to the posted speed limits. We had a wreck in my neck of the woods recently where an Amtrak train was going twice the posted speed limit... with disastrous results. There is technology that prevents this, which is active now on nearly all the Class I's (seven biggest railroads) now.

Chris
You are correct regarding the wreck here. I don't recall the specific speed but it was around 1.5 times the speed limit.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:

Chris
We are a short line , and our locos never interchange.

I did read the report on the Washington wreck and it was mostly lack of engineer training for that section of track. Only one out of 6 qualified to run that section had actually run it. Someone really dropped the ball on that.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use an app called copilot truck... I think they may have combioned all their apps into one now and you set the profile of your vehicle.. size weight, height etc.. it works oin offline mode.. you download the maps to your device.. live traffic is a subscription though
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
We are a short line , and our locos never interchange.
Not to hijack the thread, but pleasure to meet another short line railroader! I work part-time with the RR in addition to my full-time job.

Chris
Old 10-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I use an app called copilot truck... I think they may have combioned all their apps into one now and you set the profile of your vehicle.. size weight, height etc.. it works oin offline mode.. you download the maps to your device.. live traffic is a subscription though
........................................... ..
Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

I've been looking forward to having some adventures in Spirit of the North, but I hadn't pictured the kind of adventure I had today - I had an early appointment to get the windshields replaced, so I was out bright and early to get the bus started, giving enough time for it to warm up before I left - turned the key, nothing, no power - checked the headlights, nothing - I had noticed there was a bit of a electrical drain, but I'd had the battery charger on it and it was ok the day before - my step son hadn't left for work yet, so he pulled a battery out of one of his vehicles that he isn't using at the moment, and stuck it in the bus - bus started right up, a few seconds later smoke started filling the bus - thick choking smoke, more than I could deal with because of my COPD - good thing James was there, because the wires were HOT and about to burst into flames - the bus was parked 3' from the side of my house - were it not for James burning his fingers to pull several offending wires apart, the fire would no doubt have involved the 50 year old wood framed house - once that had been dealt with and the smoke cleared, I headed off to the windshield appointment - made friends with the people there, 'a pleasure to meet you Al, good luck with your neat bus and your dogs this winter' and a hug from the girl behind the counter, and I now have the clearest windshield of the many on the property - lol
Old 10-25-2019, 02:04 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You narrowly escaped a "trial by fire", glad you had someone there to help out. You always seem to meet folks and get them all to be so nice to you. That is a wonderful gift you have!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am glad to here it all ended well. Your guardian angels looking after you...
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
You narrowly escaped a "trial by fire", glad you had someone there to help out. You always seem to meet folks and get them all to be so nice to you. That is a wonderful gift you have!
that seems to be true, although don't ask me to explain it - In this case James lives here on the property in his own trailer and is an important part of what all goes on around here
Old 10-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I am glad to here it all ended well. Your guardian angels looking after you...

Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
figured I'd start a thread for my bus/motorhome, named
Spirit of the North' ( after my kennel's name ) - first piece by piece project is to do a few repairs and maintenance, change some seats and add seat belts so it will pass the BC safety requirements - I have no plans for much in the way of any major modifications this winter, just enough that we can camp in it and haul the sled dogs and equipment to a few races - come spring I'll take a look at raising the roof as I have to strip the interior so it can be insulated, and perhaps put into play some stylishly unique ideas I have for appearance and convenience - so far it's been just getting to know the bus better, what switch is for what, does the propane furnace work, or should I get a Webasto wanna-be heater? - I have an appointment to get both windshields replaced next Thursday at Speedy Auto Glass in Nelson ( 25 miles from me ) - I'm still looking for 19" snow tires and a set of automatic tire chains -- first picture showing the windshields before replacement - 30 year old drunken son of the former owner kicked the passenger side windshield in a temper tantrum after he ran out of gas - broke the tach at the same time - I'll see if I can pick one up when I'm next in one of the local towns
I live in BC as well. I am in Victoria and am on the search for a bus. Is there anywhere specific you looked? I would prefer something from the west coast so I won't have to worry as much about rust like an east coaster.

Thanks
Cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
I live in BC as well. I am in Victoria and am on the search for a bus. Is there anywhere specific you looked? I would prefer something from the west coast so I won't have to worry as much about rust like an east coaster.

Thanks
I searched the western provinces on Kijiji and found a lot of rust free buses - I also followed auctions, especially https://www.maauctions.com/mainpage.aspx

and https://www.rbauction.com/heavy-equi...SAAEgJXEPD_BwE

- if you can find a bus you like on auction, you can save a lot of money - what size/conformation are you looking for? - Alberta seems to have the most buses for sale