Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: International DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger - 27,500 GVW
Wandering Wapiti Bus

I’ve been a fan of this website for a few years and recently bought my first bus. It is a 1996 International AmTran 3800 11 window bus with a mechanical DT466 engine and AT545 transmission. It has 200K miles on the odometer and was decommissioned from a school district last year. My plan is to build an adventure/expedition/overland type bus for travel into remote areas such as BLM areas. It will be off-grid capable for extended periods of time for our large family. I plan on swapping the 545 for a 13-speed RoadRanger and then turning up the fuel on the 466. I will probably do pump work and compound turbos once the transmission is swapped. The rear-end seems to be around a 4.68:1 ratio due to running 60mph @ 2500 RPMs downhill in 4th gear that doesn’t lock up. One day it may be converted to 4x4 with four-wheel steering using military running gear but most certainly get military bead-lock wheels and tires before then and hydraulic assist steering. It will get a 12” roof raise in a couple weeks, exterior paint by Fall and good insulation over the Winter. Stay tuned for more. Attachment 46594
Attachment 46595

HazeltheMooseWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: International DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger - 27,500 GVW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeltheMooseWagon View Post
I’ve been a fan of this website for a few years and recently bought my first bus. It is a 1996 International AmTran 3800 11 window bus with a mechanical DT466 engine and AT545 transmission. It has 200K miles on the odometer and was decommissioned from a school district last year. My plan is to build an adventure/expedition/overland type bus for travel into remote areas such as BLM areas. It will be off-grid capable for extended periods of time for our large family. I plan on swapping the 545 for a 13-speed RoadRanger and then turning up the fuel on the 466. I will probably do pump work and compound turbos once the transmission is swapped. The rear-end seems to be around a 4.68:1 ratio due to running 60mph @ 2500 RPMs downhill in 4th gear that doesn’t lock up. One day it may be converted to 4x4 with four-wheel steering using military running gear but most certainly get military bead-lock wheels and tires before then and hydraulic assist steering. It will get a 12” roof raise in a couple weeks, exterior paint by Fall and good insulation over the Winter. Stay tuned for more. Attachment 46594
Attachment 46595

Sorry guys, I was supposed to post this under skoolie, not coach. The build thread will be over there.
HazeltheMooseWagon is offline   Reply With Quote