Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #1

Where to build

Hey everyone ! I’m vanlifer upgrading to what you call skoolie, technically a coach to motorcaravan,
I’m in the UK so a lot of the methods will be a bit different.
Anyone converted whilst literally parked on the side of the road ? Given that road tax is paid and is insured of course and MOT
Although at a push I can ask my friend to let me park at his transport yard, but he is so short of drivers he would expect me to pay him back by working driving trucks for him, I get a bit fed up truck driving tbh, so prefer the first options
So anyone from uk have any dealings with building on the road ?

capofarukgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:04 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
In the U.S. we have big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes, and I bet a lot of work is done in their parking lots, though in my opinion it's pretty close to broke down on the side of the road.

You'll need access to power, unless you already have a solar array and all your tools are battery operated. You'll need some place secure so if you leave it for a few hours you don't come back to a break-in. I'm guessing this is more or less obvious.

Ideally, you have a friend with space in a rural town!

If I were looking for space to build I would research Tiny House communities (e.g. https://www.tinyhousecommunitybristol.org/seamills ), or Maker Spaces (e.g. UK Makerspace “ make things, do stuff and knit the community together" ). Or find like-minded folks and create your own cooperative?

As the skoolie market matures more opportunities crop up. England does not appear to be the epicenter of skoolie life-yet.

Heck, why not buy a buy here, find one of the several build spaces folks in this forum have offered, get the thing built and ship it back?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote