Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

04 Thomas/Freightliner FS65 tilt wheel loose

Before I tear my steering column apart, I was hoping someone has encountered this -- my 04 FS65 tilt wheel is somewhat loose. There is some movement in the wheel up and down, or towards the dash and towards my lap. its not excessive, but I notice it from time to time when driving.

I'm not familiar with the Freightliner tilt/telescoping wheel, but hoping someone is and knows if there is an adjustment I can get to if I disassemble the column trim and poke around? It would almost seem there be an adjustment somewhere to "tighten" it up or a part that could be replaced to get rid of the loose feeling. All help is appreciated!

colbypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

It appears there is whats called a "tilt lock mechanism" that is held in with a allen bolt + nut, and a roll pin. It is removable from the column. The tilt/telescoping assembly is manufactured by TRW from what I can tell, but thats as far as I got. If I tilt the wheel all the way up, the play is gone. I didn't bother trying to remove the mechanism to see if it could be modified to remove the play as I actually prefer the wheel all the way up anyways. I just had to make some modifications to make that "doable". Maybe I'll contact TRW and see if this item is still available. They have instructions for replacing it so I'm assuming it was an issue.
colbypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:50 PM   #3

Any further news

Was wondering if you coukd explain what you had to do to get it in the fully up position, as Im having the same issue.
Thanks so much!
Sweetx99 is offline   Reply With Quote