I want to learn more about this particular build, but finding conflicting info. Considering buying this as a bus conversion. Not familiar with older buses and in general have limited knowledge of drivetrains/mechanics of all things, including buses.
History of this bus according to current owner:
- meticulously maintained by previous owners
- used by fire crew company in NoCal (where it is still located)
- driven all the way to Maine and other parts of US
- retired couple years ago when current owner purchased
- current owner has maintenance records from fire crew
- engine maintained by owner, no leaks, cracks, issues that they're aware of
- owner sent video of bus running, no weird timing or extra sounds
- mileage: 280,xxx
VIN - 1HVLPHYL9FHA51526
What comes up for me:
What I'm hoping to learn:
- Autozone: 1985 International S1853 6 Cylinders 9.0L Turbo Diesel 551 CID
- vincheck.info: see photo attachment (7.6L?)
- carfax: wouldn't load
- What is the actual engine in this bus?
- What do you think of this engine build?
- What could this transmission be?
- How could the current owner find this info?
- If there is something wrong, will it be possible (read: not ridiculously hard, expensive, rare) to get parts, find someone to fix it?
- Should I run away?
- picture from vincheck.info
- scanned document from current owner