Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

1995 Thomas Vista 3600 - ok or junk?

I’m looking at a 1995 Thomas Vista 3600 with 7.3L V8 and AT545 with around 110k miles. Thoughts on reliability? Ability to travel highway and mountains?

adventure8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Brokedown traveled all over the country in a 7.3/545 equipped Vista with good success.

However, he is much more patient than I am......

Your rear end gears will play a big part in highway performance.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! What would you ay top speed is in general?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure8 View Post
Thanks for your reply! What would you ay top speed is in general?
It's not possible to tell from the decription.

School Districts specified any number of final drive ratios, and that has the most effect on top speed (well that and potential governing).

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Ok thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Vista would be pretty much my last choice.
They suffered from quality control problems and aren't the best to work on. Also a harsh, jarring ride.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My bus rides smooth as glass!

Well not really but its fine if you're not in Louisiana.

I have heard bad things about the full size Vista. Mine is 5 window and while the ride isn't particularly soft it feels like a heavy duty truck not a device of torture.

Gearing must be known to predict speeds. Mine cruises at a smooth 58mph and is electronically limited to 65. It's revving much to high to hit that limiter anywhere but down a mountain.

I've found that my bus is easy enough to work on, the chassis is well made and solid, and the engine is reliable as gravity. The weak spot is the transmission, I have the AT542 which is the AT545 with a smaller fluid capacity.

Check out my thread if you're interested in my build and travels.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/sp...bus-17338.html
Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Thanks Brokedown. I enjoyed your thread, subscribed to it. I agree in keeping it simple and plan to do the same. This is encouraging to me, I’ve got my eye on one on ebay so we will see
Old 02-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Thanks Brokedown. I enjoyed your thread, subscribed to it. I agree in keeping it simple and plan to do the same. This is encouraging to me, I’ve got my eye on one on ebay so we will see
Just say NO to bus shopping on fleabay.

Does somebody need to take you bus shopping, in the virtual world? I have no idea what you're planning on buying, and it's always your choice, but it's time for some of us to influence you if you'll let us. Would you like to buy a bus for a price somewhere between half and one third the price you'll pay on ebay?

If you found a special bus, by all means go with the urge. If it's just a bus, let us help you find a better bus if you've got a little time. What do you say? I don't want to be preaching to the quire.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I’m looking at a 1995 Thomas Vista 3600 with 7.3L V8 and AT545 with around 110k miles. Thoughts on reliability? Ability to travel highway and mountains?
A Vista has some good points and some not so good points.

The good points would encompass shorter overall length for the same amount of interior space compared to a Type 'C' bus. With a 7.3L it means it has an IHC chassis which are about the best in the business. Parts and service are available just about anywhere at reasonable prices. If it has the hydraulic disc brakes those are some of the best hydraulic brakes ever put on a school bus.

The not so good points would include working on the engine. Everything is either too far forward to reach easily from the dog house or too far back to reach from outside under the hood. The AT545 is not the best transmission but if you take care of it the transmission should go at least 250K miles before major problems arise.

A Thomas Vista is a much better bus in ever respect than the Ward/AmTran version of this style of bus.

It is a good bus if the asking price is under $3,500.00. Anything more than that and I would look elsewhere.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Just say NO to bus shopping on fleabay.

Does somebody need to take you bus shopping, in the virtual world? I have no idea what you're planning on buying, and it's always your choice, but it's time for some of us to influence you if you'll let us. Would you like to buy a bus for a price somewhere between half and one third the price you'll pay on ebay?

If you found a special bus, by all means go with the urge. If it's just a bus, let us help you find a better bus if you've got a little time. What do you say? I don't want to be preaching to the quire.

**I would love the help. I've been looking for a TC1000 and just found these Vistas. I want a flat floor bus with the wheelchair access that they usually have on the side towards the rear.
Any help would be appreciated!!
And I'm in Oregon - thanks!!
BlackHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
**I would love the help. I've been looking for a TC1000 and just found these Vistas. I want a flat floor bus with the wheelchair access that they usually have on the side towards the rear.
Any help would be appreciated!!
And I'm in Oregon - thanks!!
he hasn't been on here in a while and ended up just being a troll when it was all said and done.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
he hasn't been on here in a while and ended up just being a troll when it was all said and done.
Still, if anyone has a great source for a flat floor bus... I'm all ears.
I'm looking into these Vistas now...
BlackHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
We have a 1998 Vista bus.

I specifically sought one out myself. And yes I had the crap AT545 transmission.

It gets a bit of negativity for sure from the bus forums. And I think that Eastcoast is right about the ride unless you find one with Air ride like I did.

I have a 7 window shorty, and I use the lift to tote a full sized motorcycle in the rear

I knew the AT545 was crap, and so I made sure to do a lot of research, and I have bought an additional IH bus with the same chassis and motor (its a long bus) and I swapped the transmissions..

It is a nice bus, the flat floor and the location of the lift were some of the key selling points for us. We tow a sailboat, so the pug nose is ideal for boat launches.

but a 1995 will likely not have the connections for an A-2000 that my later 1998 does. You can still do it, its both difficult and not, but it is do-able.

I have the entire PDF of the Thomas Vista body wiring now, so anyone with a vista wants it let me know. I talked the guy at Thomas into sending it to me

good luck in your bus hunt
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #15

I just bought a 3600 Vista. I would love a copy of that wiring diagram. Please.
braynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by braynor View Post
I just bought a 3600 Vista. I would love a copy of that wiring diagram. Please.

Awesome..
post a pic of it.. what year?

We love ours

My email address is the same as my screen name here... just add G and then mail and then the dotcom lol

I will shoot it back to you... I also have a entire electric schematic to the 2002 year model IH chassis... not Vista specific but a lot is the same and helped me a lot when I did my Vista's Transmission upgrade

cheery day
dave
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:53 PM   #17

Year: 1995
Chassis: International Thomas 3600 Vista
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Hi adventure8, I also own a 1995 International Thomas 3600 Vista 7.3L Powerstroke, and the highest speed I've gotten it to was about 70 mph. Honestly wouldn't recommend going faster than that, simply because to me it felt like it would be pretty hard and shaky to slow down if going any faster than that.
summerperry923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3l, vista