Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

So the bus that you are interested in is local to me. (i'm about an hr from it)

The Bus was well maintain by one of Denver's Largest School dists in Colorado. The power train in this bus is very nice for pulling mountains. It is a Tc2000 and The School Dist owned a whole Fleet of them and All Americans.
(they had at one time 250-300 TC2000 / All Americans (from 97 to 2002) I'm not sure what they are running now.

If you want I can go take a look at it.

Cummins2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
You won't need a CDL if it is titled as an RV.
[LIST]
[*]If the bus has air brakes, how long does it take to build up air pressure? At what pressure does the compressor cut in and cut out? Are there any leaks?

Good luck!
That's a good checklist! Thanks. Can you go into more detail on the air brakes? We engage them once the engine is started with the push of a button or somthin and it builds preasure? How long should it take?
Also, I've read conflicting opinions about them. Some say you need a CDL because of the course specifically aboutusing air brakes. II've also heard if the vehicle is under 26, 000 you don't need it.. Others swear you must have a CDL.

Here's a pic of the engine he sent me:

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins2015 View Post
So the bus that you are interested in is local to me. (i'm about an hr from it)

The Bus was well maintain by one of Denver's Largest School dists in Colorado. The power train in this bus is very nice for pulling mountains. It is a Tc2000 and The School Dist owned a whole Fleet of them and All Americans.
(they had at one time 250-300 TC2000 / All Americans (from 97 to 2002) I'm not sure what they are running now.

If you want I can go take a look at it.
You say the bus is well maintained.. How do I know you're not the seller? Sounds too good to be true. That would be great!

-Thomas
Old 12-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

The air compressor will start to work as soon as the engine starts to spin. It will continue to compress air into the system until the governor cuts out, which should be 110-130 PSI with 120 PSI being ideal. It should cut back in when the pressure drops to 85-105 PSI with 95-100 PSI being ideal.

Depending upon how many auxiliary systems and tanks are on the bus it should take no more than 3-5 minutes to go from 0 PSI to governor cut out @ 120 PSI.

Low air buzzers, lights, wig wags, etc. should activate no lower than 60 PSI (and should go off once the pressure goes above 60 PSI). Some wig wags need to be manually reset once the pressure goes up.

Spring brakes should apply whenever the air pressure drops to 25-45 PSI with 30-35 PSI being ideal.

As far as driver's licenses are concerned, as long as the bus has been retitled as an RV you will NOT need any special license to drive it regardless of how much the GVWR is with certain exceptions. Driving in Canada, western Canada in particular, requires having an air brake endorsement to drive any vehicle, commercial or private, if the vehicle has air brakes. In British Columbia you will have to stop at the Port of Entry. If you do not have an air brake endorsement and your vehicle has air brakes you will get red tagged and your vehicle will NOT move until a driver with the correct endorsements is available to drive. There are thousands of RV's on the road today that are converted buses, medium and heavy duty trucks, and converted semi-trailers and none of those drivers are required to have any sort of special license or endorsement on their license.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
You say the bus is well maintained.. How do I know you're not the seller? Sounds too good to be true. That would be great!

-Thomas
Because I used to ride to school on these buses. And I know quite a few bus techs at the School Dist. I know while it was at the school dist it was well maintained. I will get in touch with seller and try and check it out early Next Week.
Cummins2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Well,

Cummins2015 was going to go check it out for me but I guess we took too long and lost it. The craigslist had expired and for some reason the seller won't answer my text or phone call.
It really sucks. This was the exact engine and wheelchair lift position I'm needing. If any of you see this style again please let me know. We are so disappointed

-Thomas