Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1999 International 3800 "no start, no crank, nothing"

Good morning all, I own a 1999 international 3800 with a DT466 engine. I converted my bus in 2018 and have been enjoying ever since. I moved it from the place I usually have it parked about 2 months ago when I went to move it back it won't "fire-up". It would turn over and over but would never actually pop off. I replaced the cam sensor, checked all the relays, back probed the wires on the engine harness....everything seemed good so after I spoke with a diesel mechanic I was told to replace the ecm. I ordered an ecm and receive it in after a couple weeks so I replaced the ecm and now it doesn't even try to start the gauges still do their usually things, battery voltage is good, no corrosion on the terminals....So I plugged back in the old ecm and the bus is doing the same thing...no start, no crank, no buzzing....nothing at all. Please help!! I'm being told by another mechanic that my interlock could of gone bad but honestly I don't even know where that is located, all help is much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Moq145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moq145 View Post
Good morning all, I own a 1999 international 3800 with a DT466 engine. I converted my bus in 2018 and have been enjoying ever since. I moved it from the place I usually have it parked about 2 months ago when I went to move it back it won't "fire-up". It would turn over and over but would never actually pop off. I replaced the cam sensor, checked all the relays, back probed the wires on the engine harness....everything seemed good so after I spoke with a diesel mechanic I was told to replace the ecm. I ordered an ecm and receive it in after a couple weeks so I replaced the ecm and now it doesn't even try to start the gauges still do their usually things, battery voltage is good, no corrosion on the terminals....So I plugged back in the old ecm and the bus is doing the same thing...no start, no crank, no buzzing....nothing at all. Please help!! I'm being told by another mechanic that my interlock could of gone bad but honestly I don't even know where that is located, all help is much appreciated!! Thanks!!
Did you pull any codes from the ecm prior to replacing any parts? If so what were they? Do you know how to pull the codes?
Normally an interlock problem will not allow cranking. Has the 'no crank' issue come about since the ecm swap? If you didn't disconnect the battery then you (hopefully) may have blown a fuse in the battery box or the chassis fuse box. I understand that it was cranking before the swap.
The only buzz I get is if the air tanks are low.
Did you check for any fuel related issues?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The only code in the ecm was low oil pressure oddly enough enough when cranking before. All fuses are good, I checked those. The "no crank" did start after i swapped the ecm but now its acts the same way no matter which ecm I have in it.
Moq145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Are you getting the warn engine light when turning the key? Can you check for codes now?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote