Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
2001 International 3000 engine speed sensor issue

Hello all,

I was working with my mechanic today on my 2001 International 3000 DT466E with Allison MD3060 (RE) trying to fix an active code (2214 (engine speed sensor)). Check trans light on and bus won't shift out of 1st gear. Im pretty sure we have located the correct sensor on the left side of the engine close to the bell housing.
Does that sound like the correct spot for the engine speed sensor?
My main question aside from that is whether I should buy a new sensor and try to see if that fixes the issue or try to check something else first before purchasing?

If any more details would help or if you may have useful info/ (schematics for this specific type of school bus) I would greatly appreciate a message or response on this thread.

Thank you!

FREELOVERADICALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELOVERADICALS View Post
Hello all,

I was working with my mechanic today on my 2001 International 3000 DT466E with Allison MD3060 (RE) trying to fix an active code (2214 (engine speed sensor)). Check trans light on and bus won't shift out of 1st gear. Im pretty sure we have located the correct sensor on the left side of the engine close to the bell housing.
Does that sound like the correct spot for the engine speed sensor?
My main question aside from that is whether I should buy a new sensor and try to see if that fixes the issue or try to check something else first before purchasing?

If any more details would help or if you may have useful info/ (schematics for this specific type of school bus) I would greatly appreciate a message or response on this thread.

Thank you!
That code is for the engine speed sensor. Typically the sensor is what will fail but occasionally it could be a wiring/plug issue.

Take a pic of the sensor you're talking about

The engine speed sensor should be on the bellhousing of the trans, on the right side(from the rear) towards the bottom. Should be 2 wires going to it.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Right here, circled in red
Old 02-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Thank you so much, the picture you sent is the same sensor I have identified. Now I'm just trying to find the right part number so I can replace it.
FREELOVERADICALS is offline   Reply With Quote