Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2024, 08:43 PM   #1

2006 5 window Thomas Ford e450 6.0 - be gentle

Hi - we were aware of the reputation of this engine before we bought it. We are just curious if anybody has this type of engine and has not bulletproofed it? If you have not bulletproofed it, have you had any issues?

Thank you!!

DinoJen116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Oil cooler plugs up, restricts flow in the EGR. EGR overheats and can crack. Leaks coolant. Religiously maintain your cooling system by drain and flushing. I have read to stop using the Ford gold coolant. In a fleet setting we have generally used CAT ELC with no neg. effects. Compare your engine oil temps to coolant temps. IF my memory is correct....anything more then 20deg. F on the oil means the oil cooler is plugged.

Head gasket is the biggest issue. Well documented. Google searching will answer all your questions. Too summarise, to few head bolts and too small of a tty bolt.

Keep ECM tune stock.

VGT can seize up if it sits alot. I'm split the turbos and free up the veins and ring. More labor then anything. You purchase a service kit.

The FICM can cause issue and burn out. Keep your batteries and alt. in top shape.

If you don't have emission checks you can delete the EGR and stud the engine.

The HPO system that drives injectors can be problematic. It's all internal so repair is labor intensive.

The rotating assembly is solid. It's everything that's bolted to it that sucks.

You either like the engine or hate it. For the most part it's generally accepted that any repair is $1500 and up at a shop.

Are they a fun engine to drive, I like them. Hate working on them some days. I own one. I,'ve rebuilt my last one 5 years ago. Blown head gasket on a stud engine. Ended up getting the block and heads decked. Found the block is not straight by any means. Not warped.....just factory machining had alot of peaks and valleys with a dye and stoning the deck. But the engine also had 350k miles and was tuned.

Looking at selling mine. Just had enough of it
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:43 PM   #3

This is great information! Very helpful. We are grateful to you for this. Thank you!
DinoJen116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome DinoJen116!

Despite what people say, it is a work horse and has been good to us . We've had ours for 22k miles (bought it with 160k) and have not bulletproofed or upgraded anything. Here's the things that we've had issues with:

- IPC (I think) valve was bad when we got it and it she'd shut down after ~3 hours of driving. Let her cool down for 30+ minutes and then she was fine to drive for another 2 hours. was a few hundred dollars get to fixed.
- We had to get the engine wiring harness changed, and this is something that I've heard a few people had to do after a while. It was a toss up between replacing it or paying for an unknown number of hours of labor to find the fault. Here we got the OEM part from an online supplier, instead of going through the garage (a Ford dealership), and saved like 30% on the part price, which was gonna cost over $1000 through them.

While unrelated to this engine's specific problems, we've also had to replace the alternator, radiator, and catalytic converter. Note that they don't make after-market cats for diesels so we had to buy one from Ford for $1100, ouch! If you don't live somewhere with emissions you could just delete it but we only knew it was gone because it was messing with our turbo back pressure and we we losing poweródon't know what deleting it would do to that.

They are an absolute bitch to work on unless you've got small nimble handsóbut that comes with the van cab setup, not necessarily the engine itself.

Many people will refuse to work on this engine, many because of the size of your vehicle (doesn't fit on their lift) others because its the Ford 6.0 and they won't touch it, so you do end up paying for longer tows anyway (which are PRIIICY!), avoid regular car garages and look at truck specific ones when you do need a garage. We'd recommend getting Good Sam's roadside assistance for RVs, and I got an email recently that for an extra $20 they'll extend the towing to any garage of your choosing within 100 miles (instead of just the closest garage and a free 20 miles) which is great!

Because of the limited number of garages that'll take it, you can also get stuck waiting for a garage spot for a long time. We've often gone to Ford garages as they can typically get us in within a day or two and you know they're not going to see out of state plates and try and screw you over.

The oil system, I've been told, is made of subpar plastic parts which can melt at higher temps. To do this we monitor it using a phone app and a bluetooth OBDII scanner, and don't let it push over 230F, which all depends on outside temps, what weight your pulling and how long and steep the hill is!

Feel free to shoot me a message if you've got any specific questions
Welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshie View Post
Welcome DinoJen116!

Despite what people say, it is a work horse and has been good to us . We've had ours for 22k miles (bought it with 160k) and have not bulletproofed or upgraded anything. Here's the things that we've had issues with:

- IPC (I think) valve was bad when we got it and it she'd shut down after ~3 hours of driving. Let her cool down for 30+ minutes and then she was fine to drive for another 2 hours. was a few hundred dollars get to fixed.
- We had to get the engine wiring harness changed, and this is something that I've heard a few people had to do after a while. It was a toss up between replacing it or paying for an unknown number of hours of labor to find the fault. Here we got the OEM part from an online supplier, instead of going through the garage (a Ford dealership), and saved like 30% on the part price, which was gonna cost over $1000 through them.

While unrelated to this engine's specific problems, we've also had to replace the alternator, radiator, and catalytic converter. Note that they don't make after-market cats for diesels so we had to buy one from Ford for $1100, ouch! If you don't live somewhere with emissions you could just delete it but we only knew it was gone because it was messing with our turbo back pressure and we we losing poweródon't know what deleting it would do to that.

They are an absolute bitch to work on unless you've got small nimble handsóbut that comes with the van cab setup, not necessarily the engine itself.

Many people will refuse to work on this engine, many because of the size of your vehicle (doesn't fit on their lift) others because its the Ford 6.0 and they won't touch it, so you do end up paying for longer tows anyway (which are PRIIICY!), avoid regular car garages and look at truck specific ones when you do need a garage. We'd recommend getting Good Sam's roadside assistance for RVs, and I got an email recently that for an extra $20 they'll extend the towing to any garage of your choosing within 100 miles (instead of just the closest garage and a free 20 miles) which is great!

Because of the limited number of garages that'll take it, you can also get stuck waiting for a garage spot for a long time. We've often gone to Ford garages as they can typically get us in within a day or two and you know they're not going to see out of state plates and try and screw you over.

The oil system, I've been told, is made of subpar plastic parts which can melt at higher temps. To do this we monitor it using a phone app and a bluetooth OBDII scanner, and don't let it push over 230F, which all depends on outside temps, what weight your pulling and how long and steep the hill is!

Feel free to shoot me a message if you've got any specific questions
On your app. Look at your coolant temps and oil temps. More then 20 degrees...time to replace the oil cooler.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:57 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you mate! Yea that's something I didn't know and am definitely going to do next time I get in her, which sadly won't be for a few months. Just been watching videos about changing it and that's a job and a half, is it even doable dropping the engine?
Welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I have not been blessed with the opportunity to change it in a E series van.

With that said. I'm sure it's doable with the engine in place. I would attack it from the rear. Pull doghouse. Pull turbo, Yank the intake off. Remove oil filter housing and standpipe. Pull EGR cooler. Pull oil cooler/top plate assembly.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:29 AM   #8

Hi DinoJen! is your bus a diesel? We have the 6.0 in a 2004 diesel. So far, we haven't found someone who can work on it in our area.
WiLulu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:10 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLulu23 View Post
Hi DinoJen! is your bus a diesel? We have the 6.0 in a 2004 diesel. So far, we haven't found someone who can work on it in our area.
Where is your area?

Find it tough to understand you have no success on finding a mechanic. A dealership will work on them. Surprisingly not much more then mom and Pop shops cause they know all the "tricks". On top of that, parts better quality, nationwide warranty.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
Where is your area?

Find it tough to understand you have no success on finding a mechanic. A dealership will work on them. Surprisingly not much more then mom and Pop shops cause they know all the "tricks". On top of that, parts better quality, nationwide warranty.

Hiya Omnibot!
I'm in N.E. Florida. Not sure what you mean by "dealership"....you mean Ford, as it has a Ford Diesel engine?

Also, do the things you suggested to the original poster of the thread apply to a diesel? I'm fairly clueless, as you can prolly tell!

thanks bunches!
Old 04-06-2024, 04:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
yes if you cant find anyone in your area then take it to the dealership/stealership.
but know it will cost more but will be correct once done since there were recalls for that engine.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLulu23 View Post
Hiya Omnibot!
I'm in N.E. Florida. Not sure what you mean by "dealership"....you mean Ford, as it has a Ford Diesel engine?

Also, do the things you suggested to the original poster of the thread apply to a diesel? I'm fairly clueless, as you can prolly tell!

thanks bunches!
What I suggested is stuff to look out for.

As for Ford. Yes. The dealer. The 6.0 is well known. Alot of updates made over the years. You bring it in, the repair fails out of state, go to another dealer. It is more money but will be fixed. Aftermarket parts last few years have gone to ****. Stay away from mom and Pop shops unless you stay local
Old 04-07-2024, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
What I suggested is stuff to look out for.

As for Ford. Yes. The dealer. The 6.0 is well known. Alot of updates made over the years. You bring it in, the repair fails out of state, go to another dealer. It is more money but will be fixed. Aftermarket parts last few years have gone to ****. Stay away from mom and Pop shops unless you stay local

gotcha! Thanks bunches!