Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

2022 blue bird drifts to the left

Alright so heres the scenario, brand new 2022 blue bird vision, wanders to the left, i have had this bus in the air checked wheel bearings king pins tie rods drag link steering box steering column and alignment there isnt any slop anywhere, the tires are all wearing even, ive had another guy under the bus once it was back down on the ground and have shook everything to see is anything moves, im at a loss here any insight is greatly appreciated

longbeardgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
left drift

Is the rear axle square to the chassis? Is the front axle square to the chassis?

Has anyone actually checked these two items?

What is the caster setting on the right front? What is the caster setting on the left front?

what are the numbers. Being told they are good is not good enough.

Has the left rear been off the ground and the amount of drag/friction on the left rear been checked versus the drag/friction of the right rear?

Does this left drift happen on more than one section of straight roads?

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ford had several years of trucks i think in the 60's era that actually ran dog leg down the road meaning the rear and front axle were not perfectly aligned and they were impossible to get a true 4 wheel alignment on but alot of time, effort, and head scratching you could get them pretty close.
brand new bus it would be back at the dealer shop or replaced with another to see if its just that one or a specific batch or something like buses built on friday or monday morning or a specific plant.
do you have the correct load rated tires for there positions and matched side to side including air pressure.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

didnt even think to check for the drag in the rear end, here at the shop i dont have a alignment machine, to get the accurate numbers to post them, beings it is a brand new bus yes it would go back to the dealership however short of driving the two hours and dropping it off i cant get them to call me back, the tires are the corrrect load range and correct tire pressures the whole way around
longbeardgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would definitely drive the 2 hours and show them... unfortunately this isnt the first ive heard of this from friends who are transportation directors.. in one case the frame apparently wasnt completely trued up when the body was installed.. a true truck alignment shop that can align straight trucks should be able to see whats skewed..

a cheap and easy thing to check is see if the preload on one of the hubs is way too high.. you can do this by checking the hub / rotor temperatures after driving and see if one hub or brake is hotter than the others whioch could have a tendency to create a pull.. apparently in one case (on a thomas C2) the only explanation was a spindle nut left at 50 ft lbs instead of backed off and it caused the hub to get hot and bearing damaged after not many miles..

all these cases I mentioned were warrantied by the manufacturer.. if you try and alter anything yourself the dealer will use it as a case to voice the warranty.. if you drive the long drive back and let them have at it then its on them..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
As Magnakansas mentioned check your wheelbase, axle center to axle center. My bus drifted I had 3/4 inch difference. On rear leafs will be a nut and bolt adjustable arrangement. Fair easy adjustment but brand new let the shop do it.
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote