Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

3.44 Caterpillar Diesel engine

I'm looking at a short bus that has a 3.44 Caterpillar Diesel engine.
Is this a good engine and what should I look out for?
I've attached a photo of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat-344-engine.jpg  

Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I don't understand what you mean by a 3.44.

There are people here that like Cat, and there are those that don't. Most claim with good maintenance a Cat will last as long as anything else. The majority here prefer the cummins. A few have Detroit and they like them, so it's more about what you like.
The down side of a Cat is that parts reportedly cost triple what other engine parts cost.

What's the mileage on that rig? The year? Transmission? Rear end gearing? All important if you're expecting to hit the highways. Some people buy buses that top out at 45, and have difficulty trying to drive across the country after fixing up their bus. Take your time. Don't be afraid to list links to buses you're looking at. People here won't bid against you.
There's a lot of old mechanics and engineers that enjoy going over the information and condition of buses to help you make a good buy. There's a lot of young guys here too.
Have fun.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Looks like a 3116. If it is, It's an all mechanical engine similar to the 3126. I've never messed with one. Some say they're low on power and problem prone. Other's say with the right maintenance they're good engines(that's usually the deal with most engines believe it or not ).
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I know Cat made a 3.4L 4 cylinder. Is that what you're talking about?

I thought they only put those in smaller pieces of equipment, though. Things like skid steers.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

It's a 1998 GMC 6-window bus if that makes any difference. I know nothing more about the bus that what I've quoted from the advert. I haven't gone to see it yet. How do you tell the gearing of a bus? Is it listed on a plate somewhere.
Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

If the bus hasn't been stripped out yet there should be some data plates near the driver's area that would have your rear end ratio. There's a tag on the right hand side of the transmission that will identify what the transmission is. If you take some good pictures of the engine the guys here will know what it is.

If you really want to hear the low down on a bus you'll need to list more information and lots of pics of anything you're concerned about.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The rear end ratio will be on a tag over the stairs if it's a Blue Bird. If it's a Thomas, you likely won't find the ratio listed anywhere inside the bus. If you can't find it in the bus, crawl under it and look for a tag on the rear axle housing. It should be on a tag there.

And yeah, good pictures of the engine and transmission and we can tell you what they are.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Also where are you, and where did the bus come from? Pics of the frame rails too if you get a chance.

I know that sounds like a lot, considering you haven't seen the bus in person yet. It's a learning experience for you to look at as many buses as you can before you commit to a purchase. Best to look locally to gain experience. Travel to get the best bus.