Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: 3126B
3126 cranks no start

Hello everyone, Last week we went and picked up the Bus from Around the Newport News Va. Area. We were about 2 hours into the drive when all of a sudden the bus just dies no check engine ligts no sounds from the cockpit indicating a problem. I figured the fuel gauge must be bad and we ran out of fuel. I spend the next 4 hours trying to prime the beast but to no avail a Tow truck was called and we were towed to King George truck and tire. They charge 150.00 an hour a miin. of 2 hours to look at the bus. I had called Tuesday morning after the holiday to let them know what had happened. Around 430 PM they call me and ask if there is a trick to starting the bus. It turns out they had the engine bay lid open and the sensor was not pushed in so the bus would not crank. Tuesday at around 1pm I finally decide to call them since i had heard nothing all day. They said the bus is priming fine and when they took off one of the lines it shot fuel out. not sure which line they took off and the guy I was talking too said he did not know. He did ask for another 2 hours of work to continue to diagnose the problem. by this time I have already looked up a lot of info on the 3126 and what could be the problem I called them back asking to find out if they put a gauge on the fuel line to check the pressure, again the guy i talked to said he did not know. I called this morning to ask about the status and he told me they have not looked at it since yesterday. I told him that I am hoping that the O-Rings on the injector is what is bad and not the HEUI pump itself. Does anybody have any ideas? I kinda feel that 2 hours to check to see if the fuel system is priming seems a bit excessive especially if they can even tell me what the fuel pressure is. I could be totally wrong though so I am of course giving them the benefit of the doubt. I still have not heard anything from them about the bus. The guy did say it may not be until later this afternoon until it gets looked at again. We are very frustrated but hoping for a quick resolution.

Goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you have a crank and no start, since your engine is electronic, the best thing to do is to check for dtc's in the computer that might be related to your no start. After that, check the live data in the computer to verify that it see rpm while cranking and the correct injection pressure to fire the injectors.

A 3126 is fairly simple to prime in the case that you did run it out of fuel.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply I will talk to the shop that has the bus. They have only done 2 hours of diagnostics on it since I took the bus to them. Kind of frustrating that they don't seem to interested in working on it.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I would totally start by scanning the system and reading the live data to see what's going on.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

No connection to ecm

Need some help. The Shop that the Bus is located at said that CAT ET can not connect to the ECM. They also said that they tried other programs and scanners and they can not get any connection to the ECM. Does anyone have any idea why they can not connect to the ECM with ET?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
no connect to the laptoip is either a Power issue to the ECM, a datalink issue or the ECM has died..

I vote for it being a power issue to the ECM.. loose connector, loose wire, popped fues or popped fusible link..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for a 3126B mated to MD3060 the Shop says they do not have the wiring diagram. Not sure if it is relevant but this is for a 2001 Thomas.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'd look for communication from other modules on the data link. That would verify proper connection to the bus, Then I'd look for power and ground supply issues to the engine ecm, followed by checking that the ecm is recieving 12v from the key switch.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply, I wish the bus was not 6 hours from me otherwise i would test everything that I sould. The shop is saying that with out a diagram it will be difficult to diagnose the main issue. I am sure there are pins like pin 70 the is common among the ECM for the 3126B (pin 70 i read and watched a video that should be for switched power) but how will they be able to get the info from the ECM? or is it all pretty common wiring with ECMs from a 3126B.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It sure sounds like the "local" shop is not very interested and does not really know what to do. You may want to consider having it towed to YOUR location.

For wiring diagrams, visit your local Freightliner dealer. Have your VIN with you. They can pull up most anything on your vehicle.

Call the Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp @ 800-385-4357 and explain the problem to them. They are very good at helping us bus owners, especially when the bus is broke down.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens View Post
Thanks for the reply, I wish the bus was not 6 hours from me otherwise i would test everything that I sould. The shop is saying that with out a diagram it will be difficult to diagnose the main issue. I am sure there are pins like pin 70 the is common among the ECM for the 3126B (pin 70 i read and watched a video that should be for switched power) but how will they be able to get the info from the ECM? or is it all pretty common wiring with ECMs from a 3126B.

I'm not a diesel mechanic but I must say that if it wasn't for YOUTUBE University I would be dead broke after having to pay someone tons of money for guessing or trying to guess on how to fix something that quite frankly I could have learned to fix myself. It is all about learning folks!

I have watched many of this guys You tube video's on caterpillar engines. This guy is on point with his discussions and troubleshooting techniques.

Here is one of his videos covering a cat crank-no start issue.
Don't know if you have seen it but I can only offer you this little bit of help.

Good luck
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I have watched all his videos myself and I really wish the Bus was closer to me so i could work on it myself. The Bus is in Virgina and I am in NY.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Just thought I would update, I talked to the local Freightliner dealer in Fredericksburg VA and they seem to be much more helpful. The bus still had no work done to it since i posted this so I made the call to have the bus towed to the Freightliner shop. I also called Freightliner custom chassis division and they did send me some wiring diagrams although not what i needed so i may call them back to see if there is any other info they can send. However they were also very very helpful.

Just my opinion, The original shop was King George Truck and Tire. I would not recommend this shop.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Just thought I would update, I talked to the local Freightliner dealer in Fredericksburg VA and they seem to be much more helpful. The bus still had no work done to it since i posted this so I made the call to have the bus towed to the Freightliner shop. I also called Freightliner custom chassis division and they did send me some wiring diagrams although not what i needed so i may call them back to see if there is any other info they can send. However they were also very very helpful.

Just my opinion, The original shop was King George Truck and Tire. I would not recommend this shop.

That has been our experience with Freightliner and FCCC. I think a second call to FCCC is warranted. They should have EVERYTHING on your rig as it was built.

Did they tell you the model?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

FCCC did not tell me what type of Bus i have. I did type the VIN# in Google and found a site that listed the Bus as an MVP ER. I will call FCCC again today and see if they can provide me with more info and documents. I am curious if the documents that are linked from this site for the 99 Thomas MVP ER would be the same for the 2001 that I own. I had seen info that the MVP ER from 98 - 2001 could possibly be the same for all the years. Anyway maybe i will get better clarification after I call FCCC
Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a friend of mine and I have found that many of the same wiring and components are used on the later model which is the HDX.. while you may not be able to trace exacts, component locations on his HDX are the same or close by to what is MVP ER was
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Well I am being told that the ECM is no good they get power to the ECM but not out of the ECM. I have been given in estimate of right around 4500.00 for a refurbished ECM. Does anyone know if this sounds correct or if there might be a cheaper option for an ECM. We can not afford that at this time. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Well I am being told that the ECM is no good they get power to the ECM but not out of the ECM. I have been given in estimate of right around 4500.00 for a refurbished ECM. Does anyone know if this sounds correct or if there might be a cheaper option for an ECM. We can not afford that at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Ebay my friend...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpillar...e5532bc184d484
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote