Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/50
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 3
366 power steering pump

replacing her power steering pump this weekend.
Thought i'd use some of you people for what yer best at,,,giving your opinion,,,
naw, just poke'n fun, but i could use any tips, tricks, things to look out for, things to inspect, evaluate, consider, regarding the instalation of the new pump.
any special thoughts on the gearbox or bleed'n anything?

Thanks kindly

Attached Thumbnails
power steering replace 001.JPG   power steering replace 003.JPG   power steering replace 002.JPG  

TfallsTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: 366 power steering pump

By the looks of things its looks slick..... One way to try and get rid of that is to spray oven cleaner (i use the dollar general VERY cheap stuff) and hit it with a pressure washer. Not the best thing for the environment but it will clear it out nicely. I use it on older motors that have caked on oil and grease on them.

If you do it spray it on a hot day and let it sit say 30 min you will know when its ready when it turns a nice yellow brownish color. If you dont have a pressure washer go to the car wash. You can use a water hose but it does not have the ummph.

One thing also... start the bus and let it run while your doing this. Getting water in places and not starting till it drys out really sucks.

This procedure will help hopefully with wrenches slipping and skinned knuckles. Im curious as I have a 366 as well.

Take pics and post please.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Go figger,

its not the pump itself thats leaking, its the "can".

More to the point, the,,,"can",,, is a seperate critter all together.
it is a discontinued item.
Ohhh, you can buy the innerds new, but you're down to boneyards for the can.
we've tossed around the JB weld or solderin' ideas, but the "can wall" is worn thin from the crank housing rubbin into it and the p/s fluid weakening the surrounding area.
we have also found that there is 3 different style "cans". today we are to disassemble the pump and can, to get the cans part number. Then we shall see if Spaulding actually has our fix.

ill post more about it, once the dust settles

hey bapos,
great suggestion about the oven cleaner. a couple squirts around the work area & and wipe with a rag made for a quick clean.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2240.JPG   DSCF2243.JPG  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Send the resivour/can to me

I will weld up the part and send it back to you. I will add some reinforcement. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

well,,,,what'a thing to wake up to
A most KIND AND GENEROUS offer. I shall PM'ya this eve.

THIS,,,THIS right here is why i "hedged my bets" with skoolie.net

Thank you Frank
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Bus Nut

steering pump

If ya send the part to me via the post office, the cost is small. My offer is to repair the tank for no cost to you. Send the tank with return postage included.
This should be a lesser cost than buying a new tank. I will demonstrate my welding talents. Grin. Frank
frank.id.crownatgmail.com
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

now as far as seperating can and pump, the 2 stud bolts back out. backing them out just enough room to use them to "tap" the pump, so to push the pump out of the can. of course not damaging the O ring,,,
correct?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2259.JPG   DSCF2258.JPG