Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

4x4 short bus conversion?

Hello!

Does anyone know how much a 4x4 conversion of a short school bus would cost? Anyone who has done it here?

I was just traveling in Spain in a rented VW campervan, no 4x4, front-weel drive. And we had some pretty tough times on bumpy, dusty roads....

Gonna buy a short bus and convert it in California this year and was wondering if a 4x4 conversion would be a good addition. Not sure if I actually need it, but once the whole build is done, might be nice. Or should I be looking for a 4x4 short bus to buy from the beginning?

ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

This guy is great. His name is Chris. I have talked with him and visited his shop several times. I know he has done some large RVs and Ambulances. I'm not sure if he has done any buses. If he can't do it, he may have references to some place that does.

4x4 Van Conversion kits

contact
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Hello!

Does anyone know how much a 4x4 conversion of a short school bus would cost? Anyone who has done it here?

I was just traveling in Spain in a rented VW campervan, no 4x4, front-weel drive. And we had some pretty tough times on bumpy, dusty roads....

Gonna buy a short bus and convert it in California this year and was wondering if a 4x4 conversion would be a good addition. Not sure if I actually need it, but once the whole build is done, might be nice. Or should I be looking for a 4x4 short bus to buy from the beginning?
I think it would probably all depend on what you get for a short bus. My bus is on a one ton GMC van chassis that had a four wheel drive option for the passenger/commercial versions meaning if I can gather the stock parts I can convert it myself. Much easier than custom converting something that didn’t exist before. Having said that there’s very little that CANT be done, good luck!!!
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Some of the large utility trucks around here use Rockwell front axle with third members not the military version a lot of people are familiar with from the 2.5 and 5 ton trucks.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

They look something like this but can be found with disc brakes. Some are air brake axles. They are usually drum brakes tho. This one is a bedford.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind!
ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind!
You're welcome. I hope you build that bus.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
One member of our Crown group has a small 4WD Gillig-bodied school bus that's built on an International chassis. So yes, 4WD school buses do exist.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
many of the van cutaways can be converted fairly straight-forward.. as mentioned many vans had 4x4 as an option.. (there are a few here with van cutaway busses that are factory 4x4).. the fords ive seen more than GMC.. but ive seen 4x4 GMC savannah regular vans in the wild in the 2500 form..

I dont know how close the transfer cases and front axles of the vans are to the pickup trucks?? go up north and theres a ton of 4x4 stuff in the junkyard all the time.. might be worth looking into or taking measurements on a pickup axle and see if it could fit into the van.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
many of the van cutaways can be converted fairly straight-forward.. as mentioned many vans had 4x4 as an option.. (there are a few here with van cutaway busses that are factory 4x4).. the fords ive seen more than GMC.. but ive seen 4x4 GMC savannah regular vans in the wild in the 2500 form..

I dont know how close the transfer cases and front axles of the vans are to the pickup trucks?? go up north and theres a ton of 4x4 stuff in the junkyard all the time.. might be worth looking into or taking measurements on a pickup axle and see if it could fit into the van.
-Christopher
The transfer case is the same distance from the front axle as it is in the pick ups. The Vans use the same setups the PUs use. Most vans and van-based vehicles use automatic transmissions, and they are long. Then put on the transfer case adapter tail housing, hang a transfer case on it, and they can get close to five feet long. Longer on some speciality set ups but I digress.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I was just wondering if the OP had made any progress with his/her idea?
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy G 30 4 x 4
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: ??
I’m going to have boulder off-road in Colorado do mine .I’m having it built pretty heavy duty and it’s going to cost almost $24,000 for the conversion.
1Burleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Burleyman View Post
I’m going to have boulder off-road in Colorado do mine .I’m having it built pretty heavy duty and it’s going to cost almost $24,000 for the conversion.
Do you mind sharing what exact options you're having done? Also who you compared with?
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

You mean something like this? We do this in Australia on Toyota buses and probably one of the very few companies worldwide.
bus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

You have less options if you choose a Chevy as most convert only Ford E series chassis

An average basic build from ujoint is $30k, I just got a quote a few weeks ago.
Quadvan starts at $16.5k

I'd say thats probably the range you should expect for a Ford E Series conversion.

I vaguely remember Weld-Tec Chevy conversions starting at $17k I think which is inline with Quadvan's pricing but as Im not looking at Chevy/GMC so I didnt get that quote first hand.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote