Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

5.9L tc1200

Hi guys. Hoping to pick up a bus soon. One is local to our area and it's a 5.9L Cummins tc1200 with 230k miles on it.

It's already partially converted which is perfect for us since we'll be living in it right away.

Any and all advice on this combo is greatly appreciated.

Imnewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Haven't heard of a TC1200. Theres a TC1000 which is real nice. 25ft with no front wheel wells and high ceiling. Then there's TC2000 which come in all lengths from 25ft up and they have front wheel wells and bigger tires. Both nice buses. What sort of conversion do you have planned? What type of travel do you plan? Got kids?
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Haven't heard of a TC1200. Theres a TC1000 which is real nice. 25ft with no front wheel wells and high ceiling. Then there's TC2000 which come in all lengths from 25ft up and they have front wheel wells and bigger tires. Both nice buses. What sort of conversion do you have planned? What type of travel do you plan? Got kids?

I think it was a mistype and it's a tc2000
We have two toddlers and 2 cats and 2 dogs. Not looking to travel the country in it. We are camp hosts in Washington in the summer and head to Tahoe for the snow in the winter* so only moving twice a year. We would be towing an Altima behind it as well. This one specifically is partially converted, which we would need to live in it right away so this is perfect. Listed at 10,700 but willing to trade our Yukon Denali for partial payment.
I'm just worried about all the threads I've read saying 5.9 isn't enough ..
Imnewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnewhere View Post
I think it was a mistype and it's a tc2000
We have two toddlers and 2 cats and 2 dogs. Not looking to travel the country in it. We are camp hosts in Washington in the summer and head to Tahoe for the snow in the winter* so only moving twice a year. We would be towing an Altima behind it as well. This one specifically is partially converted, which we would need to live in it right away so this is perfect. Listed at 10,700 but willing to trade our Yukon Denali for partial payment.
I'm just worried about all the threads I've read saying 5.9 isn't enough ..

The 5.9 will be plenty. i have one and it goes fast. Since your only taking two main trips a year, wont matter. a bigger engine like the 8.3 might take you up Donner pass at 55 vs 45 or something like that. The 5.9 gets better mileage the rest of the time as a nice tradeoff. Your tow car isn't huge either, so you wont even notice it back there.

I will say that 230k in a bus is getting up there. I would send an oil sample to blackstone before you put much money in it. Everything could be great on it, but you could also need to replace a lot as well. Check the belts, water pump, tensioner as those are wear parts. Have someone pull off the tires and inspect the brakes, steering and kingpins. Slide under there and top everything off with some grease. I do mine annually.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:40 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
5.9 is great with a 5 speed auto, not so much with the AT545.

Check for blow-by, too.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote