Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

82 crown supercoach air filter???

Hello everyone, I知 new here. I own an 82 crown supercoach and I知 in the process of doing a skoolie conversion on it. I知 trying to do some basic maintenance but I知 having a pretty hard time trying to locate replacement engine air filters for my bus. It has a detroit 671T engine and 5 speed manual transmission. The filter is a large square filter with 64 individual smaller round paper elements in it encased in rubber at both ends and fairly heavy. Went to a hand full of different parts places over the weekend but no dice. I知 also wondering why there is engine oil in the air filter box and how to fix that issue as well. I know these engines are known to leak oil and my bus has 610,770 on the odometer now so it痴 no exception. It runs like clockwork but the idle is a bit high so little by little I知 working out all the little things. Sorry if i come across as a noob but I知 not too familiar with the detroits but I致e always wanted a crown and now i can say i own one. Thanks guys!

82Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Welcome to the Crown owners fraternity. There are quite a few things you will have questions about and I and many folks I know can help with anything you may need. Crown owners, and there's more all the time, do tend to stick together and help each other out. If for no other reason than to see the Mighty Crowns taken care of and being driven as they were meant to be.

First of all you should contact me direct asap and I'll get you started and in direct contact with others who can help you. Crowns are way different and need some special kinds of attention and knowledge on where and how to get parts. Not harder, or difficult, but merely different and once you get used to them they are very easy to take care of.

For instance the engine oil is particularity special and you should ONLY use the proper oil in it. Don't buy any or add any until we can talk. It's critical that you use the correct oil. That's DELO 100 (NOT 400) straight 40wt or any of a very few equivalent brands with the CF2 rating. That's the key, CF2, with the lowest ash content you can find. I can't begin to tell you all the evil things that start to happen if you use the wrong oil in the 6-71. You'll have to trust me on this until we can talk and I can explain things to you.

Also let me know where you're located. If in So Cal., like me, I can get you in touch with an experienced Detroit Diesel repair shop, very familiar with Crowns, and they can check and deal with the engine and what you think may be too high an idle. It may not be. In fact it's common for the Crown 6-71s to idle around 650-750rpm for many reasons. That's normal. If there is any real problems the shop I know can check it out and make sure it's all adjusted and or repaired correctly.

Your location, Length/axles, engine(chk), transmission(chk), are all good to have in your profile or at least in a post so we all know how to help you better. I can tell you how to get those air filters since they're normal for all Crowns. Also if you're nearby I'd be happy to come on by to check it out and give you pointers in person and help you with any questions you'll be having.

Congratulations on your new Crown. You won't ever regret it or want to part with it once you learn to drive it and get the most out of it. Especially on the open road where it's a truly sublime experience with a good Crown in top condition.

Contact me at mikemcc2k@yahoo.com

P.S. I just realized the forum thread this is located in is VERY hard to find and you may not attract much attention here. I had trouble just now trying to come back to it. I'd suggest starting a new thread/post in something like skoolie/conversions or even the newbie thread where dummies like me can fine you again. It's OK to ask technical questions in the other threads. Having the "Crown" in your subject will attract lots of attention from the other Crown guys who check this site. Be sure to contact me asap and I'll get you plugged in to the Crown owners network. That's where your answers are. Plenty of help for you there.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you very much for your hospitality. I really appreciate it and I’m glad to be a part of the community. I will email you shortly. Again thank you very much
82Crown is offline   Reply With Quote