Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Adding Cruise Control?

I had heard a rumor that all HDXs have the connectors for cruise control even if the switches were not installed. So I took apart my dash today searching for any connectors. I did not find any save for one labeled for interior lighting. Not quite sure why given all the dome lights already work off of two switches. It was interesting to learn the dash is half metal, half plastic.

Anyway since this bus doesn't have connectors for the switches, how can I go about adding them? Since this is an electronic engine and transmission (MD3060), surely there must be some sort of interface I can connect into? While I'm at it, does anyone know where the TCM might be hiding? I'd like to send that off to get reprogrammed.

Oh almost forgot about this picture

This is the electrical compartment by the stairwell. It looks somewhat painful to take apart so I haven't done so yet, though ripping up flooring is getting monotonous and replacing a scraper every couple of hours is a drag as well so my attention is wandering to other stuff.

Unfortunately my camera sucks pretty bad and it's been raining the last couple days so I'm unable to take any decent pictures for right now either.

Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

That's kinda weird. My picture disappeared? But none of the other ones I've uploaded from Discord have. So I'll try it again.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am about as knowledgeable as you are.... I have heard the same thing and it makes sense to me.

I wonder if your local Thomas dealer could help? A shot in the dark but you may get lucky.

When I got ready to tackle my Vandallock system on my bus I called the local Bluebird dealer. The gent in the service department knew exactly what I needed. He gave me very specific directions to open a well hidden panel and remove the appropriate relay and where to connect the jumper in the empty relay socket. I could have spent hours trying to figure it out myself and probably never would have found the "hidden" panel that is under an unmarked cover plate behind the windshield wiper.

I have reached out to the same dealer half a dozen times for parts or technical support and they have been awesome.

The first time I stopped by the dealership I was greeted by I sign on the entry door depicting a 1911 with a green circle surrounding it. My kind of place Especially as I had my Gold Cup on my hip.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Cruise disable relay? Could or be that?ccClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	39914

BTW, have you bypassed your interlock system yet?
A few of us have just run a wire from the st terminal on the key switch to the start button in the rear.
Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Pic is still visible in post #1
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I wonder if your local Thomas dealer could help? A shot in the dark but you may get lucky.

When I got ready to tackle my Vandallock system on my bus I called the local Bluebird dealer. The gent in the service department knew exactly what I needed. He gave me very specific directions to open a well hidden panel and remove the appropriate relay and where to connect the jumper in the empty relay socket. I could have spent hours trying to figure it out myself and probably never would have found the "hidden" panel that is under an unmarked cover plate behind the windshield wiper.

I have reached out to the same dealer half a dozen times for parts or technical support and they have been awesome.
Yeah it's worth a shot, I need to go sometime soon anyway to go get a replacement strobe light switch that I've been waiting on for about a month now.

My dealer has been very friendly, but I am hammered somewhat by Thomas's poor part lookup system. Sometimes it's easier to go looking in the part book than online. It's VIN based too so if it's not something the bus had from the factory, it's much harder to get it. Speaking of which if someone has a VIN for a Thomas with CAT 3126 with AC I'd love to talk to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Cruise disable relay? Could or be that?ccAttachment 39914

BTW, have you bypassed your interlock system yet?
A few of us have just run a wire from the st terminal on the key switch to the start button in the rear.
Dave
Hmm, well it's probably safe to assume that it is involved somehow. I'll have to go back and look through all the diagrams on the covers and see what else might be related.

I have not done any wiring modifications yet, I plan to remove as much as possible. Though I'll tuck that info in the back of my mind as an emergency tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Pic is still visible in post #1
Weird, it's still not showing up for me. Oh well.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I have schematics for your bus. I will try to get them to you. I’ll have to study up on how to send them. Something about giving you permission to view my google drive. I don’t know.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Also I have your bus with AC.

I friend was helping me last year, got frustrated and called Thomas on a Friday afternoon. He got hold of an engineer who sent us schematics based on my serial number. It must have been a slow day/good mood/ perfect timing bcuz the guy has not been that forthcoming since.[emoji53]

Gotta run. I will work on getting info to you tonight or tomorrow.
Dave
Old 12-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have schematics for your bus. I will try to get them to you. I’ll have to study up on how to send them. Something about giving you permission to view my google drive. I don’t know.
Quote:
Also I have your bus with AC.

I friend was helping me last year, got frustrated and called Thomas on a Friday afternoon. He got hold of an engineer who sent us schematics based on my serial number. It must have been a slow day/good mood/ perfect timing bcuz the guy has not been that forthcoming since.[emoji53]

Gotta run. I will work on getting info to you tonight or tomorrow.
Dave
Oh wow that was so much easier than I thought, thank you! This would be so helpful and valuable! Could you also send me some pictures of your engine bay showing the belt routing and how the AC compressors are mounted?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Click image for larger version

Name:	1D2EF5EC-CAE0-46B7-B44A-B195EADCE5DE-10153-000007E4F4DAA99A.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	39926Click image for larger version

Name:	B3C11E1B-8A63-4B3A-BF63-6F6DF8813C3A-10153-000007E4D2D3BDE9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	39925
Old 12-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #11
Bus Nut

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...SAhlAQy_gyI8_9

VIN#. 1T7HL4B2511105308
Old 12-13-2019, 12:37 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Thank you so much, this is extremely valuable information.

As for the engine bay picture, I'm surprised that your bus has fire suppression. The compressor location is interesting as well, but makes perfect sense. And it's driven off the large pulley where normally a fan would be mounted to in a conventional application. Doesn't look like it was the most pleasant thing to do engine repairs on. Now if I could just get a hold of that bracket....
Old 12-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
Bus Nut

This is what was said about my bus when I asked about the AC idler wheel that broke off.

Hello and Help!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Thank you so much, this is extremely valuable information.

As for the engine bay picture, I'm surprised that your bus has fire suppression. The compressor location is interesting as well, but makes perfect sense. And it's driven off the large pulley where normally a fan would be mounted to in a conventional application. Doesn't look like it was the most pleasant thing to do engine repairs on. Now if I could just get a hold of that bracket....

+1. im trying to add A/C to a friend's HDX for him and ive amassed pretty much all the A/C pieces we need except the compressor brackets for a 3126..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
+1. im trying to add A/C to a friend's HDX for him and ive amassed pretty much all the A/C pieces we need except the compressor brackets for a 3126..

-Christopher
Well if I find a couple for sale I'll let you know. I might try fabricating it, doesn't seem too complex. I would need higher quality, close in pictures particularly where it bolts up tho. Some measurements too.

Quote:
This is what was said about my bus when I asked about the AC idler wheel that broke off.

Hello and Help!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Did you ever get that resolved?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Yes I did. I bought a wheel and spacer. I made my own adjuster bolt.

You know, that bracket is two piece and doesn’t look that hard to fabricate. Since both you and Cadillackid both need one I could take pics and make a detailed drawing.

Many ppl here have taken the time to help me, so I’m glad to do it.

Dave
Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Bud, that would be so awesome if you could do that. Hopefully I can return the favor once I figure out this cruise control thing?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: LXI43 slide
Engine: series 60
I had a truck with a 3126 that did not have cruise control,i did add the switchs but had to add wires to the engine computer,on the side of the engine.
I had a Cat tech do it,he had to pull the harness off the computer and remove a few plus in the harness and added pins and a few wires to the cab.
he had the pin tools etc.
randydupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I added cruise to my 2001 Thomas MVP. The cruise is wired in through the high idle system so if you have high idle you might check again for the slots to plug the cruise switches near the high idle switch, or even if there might be some extra wires maybe it just needs the connector put on.

In mine all I had to do was plug in the switches and it worked! Switches were $15 each. A guy I spoke to said I might have to have the cruise turned on in the engine software through Cummins Insight Pro but I didn’t have to. Being a Cat, yours may need that through a similar software; and maybe being a Cat the cruise is wired differently than my Cummins.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
You might talk to a Cat dealer and ask them if there is a simple on/off program in the engine for cruise, if so there’s got to be a connector or wires to hook on to somewhere; then just run them up to the dash... hope it isn’t too difficult whatever it needs.

What infirmation does this “schematic” give you?
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote