Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Air pressure found down

Hello y'all

Issue of the day: the air pressure on the secondary tank goes down while on the road. Starts from 120, and then goes down to around 95 (takes 3-4 minutes) and then up to 120 in less than a minute. The other needle doesn't move (120 psi).
My first thought was to incriminate the front air bags, as it is the last thing I installed. So I stopped by the side of the road, stopped the engine and went out to see if I could hear some leaking noise. Nothing. Once back inside, I noticed the needle didn't drop! Started the engine again, needle stays still. Hit the road, and the pressure started to go down again.
Could it be the leveling valves, constantly trying to maintain the level on a rough road? Seems a lot of air to me, but I can't find another explication. Any idea? Thanks!

Edit: I hate when my smartphone tries to be smart and changes some words. The title was "Air pressure goes down"

ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hmmm. The airbags should be pressurized by the auxiliary tank, which doesn't have a gauge, so a leak in an airbag should not show up on just one of the brake tanks (primary or secondary). Unless the aux tank is tied into one of the brake tanks, and not the main line, that shouldn't happen. We bought an auction bus with a rupture airbag and the only noticeable symptom was that the bus leaned and that it took longer than normal to build pressure in the brake tanks...but they built evenly.

EDIT to ask: Did you install airbags where none existed and, if you did, are they pressurized by the secondary tank? You really seem to know what you're doing...so I'm guessing not...but I had to ask.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
EDIT to ask: Did you install airbags where none existed and, if you did, are they pressurized by the secondary tank? You really seem to know what you're doing...so I'm guessing not...but I had to ask.
I used the line which was going to the air seat, coming from the auxiliary tank.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
I used the line which was going to the air seat, coming from the auxiliary tank.
Which is exactly right...and I guessed you did it right. Unfortunately, the issue remains a mystery...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Chock the wheels, put stands under the frame, and then release the park brake. See if the relay valve in the rear is leaking. There is a double check function in some of those that will use secondary pressure to apply the rear brakes in case of primary failure. Some of those valves can get gummy/corroded and cause a pressure drop like that.

After that, spray and then jiggle all of the height valves for your suspension.

After that, verify the check valves are sealing between the drier and wet tank, and between the wet tank and secondary tank.

After that, your guess is as good as mine. But if you're loosing air on tank like that, it's for sure leaking somewhere, and needs to be fixed.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I am no expert on this but can it be that emergency brake line at cracked and start leaking whenever the rear axle moves up and down? I do not know if the emergency brakes are fed from the first it secondary tank.

Also if you have by chance an auto condensation discharge valve with a float. Maybe it is sticking when you go thru a hole on the road.

Good luck.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
isnt it normal to see the pressure drop on the tank with the air suspension? the wet tank feeds the aux tank, when the wet tank goes down to 95 the governor cuts the compressor back in.. someplace around 95-100. if your system has a check valve between the primary and wet tank and doesnt have a feed from primary to secondary then you'd see primary stay the same because you arent using the brakes..

the air suspension drops down the wet and aux pressure and triggers the compressor.. once 120 is reached the air dryer purges and compressor cuts off

seems pretty normal?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
isnt it normal to see the pressure drop on the tank with the air suspension? the wet tank feeds the aux tank, when the wet tank goes down to 95 the governor cuts the compressor back in.. someplace around 95-100. if your system has a check valve between the primary and wet tank and doesnt have a feed from primary to secondary then you'd see primary stay the same because you arent using the brakes..

the air suspension drops down the wet and aux pressure and triggers the compressor.. once 120 is reached the air dryer purges and compressor cuts off

seems pretty normal?
Yes, maybe (hopefully).
But I never noticed such a "quick" drop in the secondary tank before.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Bus Geek

fro mwhat ive seen school busses all have no-delay levelling valves for the suspension. meaning as you bounce along the levelling valve constantly exhausts and then draws from supply for air.. the worse the shocks the more the bounce.

my bus can sit for a day and only go from 120 to 95 or 100 but driving it ill watch my air drop from 120 to 95 in a matter of minutes and then my governer cuts back in..
Old 05-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I think that your front air springs are the source of air useage. If you can find a smooth road you will know.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Chock the wheels, put stands under the frame, and then release the park brake. See if the relay valve in the rear is leaking. There is a double check function in some of those that will use secondary pressure to apply the rear brakes in case of primary failure. Some of those valves can get gummy/corroded and cause a pressure drop like that.

After that, spray and then jiggle all of the height valves for your suspension.

After that, verify the check valves are sealing between the drier and wet tank, and between the wet tank and secondary tank.

After that, your guess is as good as mine. But if you're loosing air on tank like that, it's for sure leaking somewhere, and needs to be fixed.

I had that very valve leaking on my old superior.. you could hear the air if you released the park brake with the engine off. wasnt very expensive and was easy to change..
Old 05-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I think that your front air springs are the source of air useage. If you can find a smooth road you will know.
I'll try to disconnect the leveling valves and secure the arm.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

That will simulate a smooth road. At least for the air springs. Did you use the quick reacting level valves or the standard ones?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
That will simulate a smooth road. At least for the air springs. Did you use the quick reacting level valves or the standard ones?
Haldex 90054007. Standard one, I guess ...
Old 05-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Haldex 90054007. Standard one, I guess ...
That is the Controlled response valve. The one we use here in the oilfields.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

It may be that the total volume of the bags may be on the small side and needing constant adjustment. Ping tanks anyone?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

I switched to those for the rear of my bus due to some of the fine NM roads. Lots of small bumps from the first layer of pavement lifting off would drop my air pressure. As soon as I hit smooth road I had stable air pressure.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
With a controlled response valve installed, you shouldn't see a bunch of air loss from normal road travel. The cr type valve is designed so that the constant add/discharge of air from a bumpy road shouldn't happen, bad shocks or not.

I guess if the road is super rough then you might see that. But loosing 30 psi in 3 minutes is a bunch, and if that's normal operation, then I'd be looking into installing more tank capacity. A governor cutting in and out in 5 minute intervals is too frequent IMO and will lead to part failure sooner rather then later.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I disconnected the rear height sensor (the rear valve doesn't look to be a controlled response), and that solved the issue. I guess I should replace the valve with a Haldex.
For now I'll let the valve disconnected, don't want to burn the air compressor.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Be careful of driveline angle. It is a damn short shaft.