Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Air spring help needed!

Is it possible to swap out an air spring for one of a different part number but similar makeup?

I have a total of 4 Goodyear air springs on the rear of my bus and one of them has a leak. Unfortunately there are no replacements that i can find for it anywhere. I called every shop from LA to NYC and checked all the cross references too i.e. Firestone/Ride-rite, Meritor, Continental, and everything in between. No one has any in stock because there seems to be some sort of mass back order on these things, with lead times all over the board... most around 12 weeks. I might just have to wait it out, but I thought I would see if anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 3,007
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
PM crown guy
reach out to the other crown owners on here like
rossvtaylor
tejon and several others
or just crown crown crown and you will get a response
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Tejon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Western MT
Posts: 630
Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
PM crown guy
reach out to the other crown owners on here like
rossvtaylor
tejon and several others
or just crown crown crown and you will get a response
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm clueless on this subject. The only air bag on my bus is in the driver's seat. I'd add Iceni John to the above list of forum members to reach out to - he has a Super II maybe with air suspension?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 1,794
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
my dive into air springs

I have a friend with a 1994 bluebird with rear air springs..... It appears the original part numbers are no longer made.

However, there also seems to be six or seven choices that will get the job done.

The differences in the six or seven I consider to be interchangeable all have to do with variations of the internal bump stops. The bag, the base plate, the the top plates, bolt hole locations, and sizes are part of what can be different.

In my case the only dimensions that vary are the internal bumpstops. The prices go from $150 to $450 per bag. Some part numbers are used much more often.

I spent about four hours a day for a week learning about firestone, good year, and other brands and how they interchange, how the part number systems work and load ratings.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 1,951
Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I've got Crowns with air bags (air springs) but I can't tell you the right part numbers right now. But if you contact Michigan Truck Spring ( https://www.truckspring.com/ ) with your current part number they can get you a compatible replacement option. I've bought from them before and found them to be very helpful. There are lots of suitable options which work just fine.

EDIT to add: There does indeed seem to be a long backorder on air springs right now.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:14 AM   #6
Bus Nut
 
flattracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bly Oregon
Posts: 543
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
My new Crown has air ride tandem axles. If it warms up a taste I can go and look at it and take pictures. My "old Crown" has leaf springs. Crown didn't make the suspension but bought from existing vendors. I would suggest looking to a truck wrecking yard for the parts, but I think changing to air ride is a really big project.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:31 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 993
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Unless you have to drive the bus I would wait for the same airbag as what is installed or a cross reference bag from another manufacture that has the same specifications. Too large a difference between a replacement and the original could cause problems with installation or ride height.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm clueless on this subject. The only air bag on my bus is in the driver's seat. I'd add Iceni John to the above list of forum members to reach out to - he has a Super II maybe with air suspension?
Thanks! I talked to IceniJohn a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately he has leaf springs all around.
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm clueless on this subject. The only air bag on my bus is in the driver's seat. I'd add Iceni John to the above list of forum members to reach out to - he has a Super II maybe with air suspension?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I have a friend with a 1994 bluebird with rear air springs..... It appears the original part numbers are no longer made.

However, there also seems to be six or seven choices that will get the job done.

The differences in the six or seven I consider to be interchangeable all have to do with variations of the internal bump stops. The bag, the base plate, the the top plates, bolt hole locations, and sizes are part of what can be different.

In my case the only dimensions that vary are the internal bumpstops. The prices go from $150 to $450 per bag. Some part numbers are used much more often.

I spent about four hours a day for a week learning about firestone, good year, and other brands and how they interchange, how the part number systems work and load ratings.

william
Thanks! This is exactly what I was thinking about. I'm going to check all the original specs and dimensions on the Goodyear part and see if there are any air springs out there with similar setups. I spent more time just trying to track down the actual air spring than anything else lol.
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I've got Crowns with air bags (air springs) but I can't tell you the right part numbers right now. But if you contact Michigan Truck Spring ( https://www.truckspring.com/ ) with your current part number they can get you a compatible replacement option. I've bought from them before and found them to be very helpful. There are lots of suitable options which work just fine.

EDIT to add: There does indeed seem to be a long backorder on air springs right now.
I talked with Michigan Truck Springs a few different times and they weren't able to help. Super nice though! I think our air spring is just an oddball and there aren't many options available out there. Just one of the perks of owning a Crown
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Unless you have to drive the bus I would wait for the same airbag as what is installed or a cross reference bag from another manufacture that has the same specifications. Too large a difference between a replacement and the original could cause problems with installation or ride height.

Ted
Thanks Ted. I'm in a little bit of a pickle right now. The bus is at Bus Grease Mountain gettin a once over from Scott(BGM). We dropped it off on our way south for the winter. The plan was to continue our conversion down here but the bus has been stuck at the mechanics waiting for the air spring. I'd like just wait for 4 new air springs from Goodyear but the clock is ticking... might just have to wait. We are enjoying the warm winter down here though. Happy Holidays!
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
sportyrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mid Mo.
Posts: 896
Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
somebody has one, you just haven't turned over the right rock yet.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
flattracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bly Oregon
Posts: 543
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Try Fleetpride in Klamath Falls Or 541 884 5103. They have a LOT of airbags on the shelf.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
ewo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Tx.
Posts: 2,079
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I have a friend with a 1994 bluebird with rear air springs..... It appears the original part numbers are no longer made.
What are the original part numbers?
Iíd be happy to make some calls down here in So. Florida to see whatís available.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 160
Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Any chance of repairing your bag??

( https://liveworkdream.com/2020/01/15/fix-burst-airbags/ )

...maybe some truck repair station can - at least temporary - patch your air-bag, so you can continue until you can get spare-parts?

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:20 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 46
Get the Goodyear catalog. It has specs for all the springs they make.
Try salvage yards that deal in heavy trucks. I got one from a salvage yard.
I got new ones from Stengler Brothers. They somewhere East. $312 for both.
Johnthebusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
What are the original part numbers?
I’d be happy to make some calls down here in So. Florida to see what’s available.
The Goodyear number is 1r11-066 Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebusboy View Post
Get the Goodyear catalog. It has specs for all the springs they make.
Try salvage yards that deal in heavy trucks. I got one from a salvage yard.
I got new ones from Stengler Brothers. They somewhere East. $312 for both.
I actually have a standing order with the Stengel Bros. Their lead time was the least overall. Hoping 4-6 more weeks. Iíd like to find them sooner though, so Iíve called salvage places too. Tricky part to find.
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #19
Bus Crazy
 
mmoore6856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: arkensas
Posts: 1,090
Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
before installing and yearly it helps to spray them with a rubber preservative
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 29
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
before installing and yearly it helps to spray them with a rubber preservative
Great info, thanks! Are there any other good applications for the spray on/under the bus?
SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crown, crown supercoach

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.