Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
I would agree, 2 fluid changes should be sufficient to get almost all of the old fluid out of there.

rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what twigg said is good info.. 2 changes get enough of the fluid out.. and all the synthetics are designed so that you dont have to get every drop of old fluid out. they will mix OK. the orange Spin-On filter is a finer material than the in-pan filter. the in-pan filter is designed to keep larger particles from being sucked up that could do damage or partially block a valve.. clutch-dust, any metal particles, etc.. the spin-on filter does the main fluid cleaning.

so my thought would be, drop the pan.. and let the trans drain over night.. or if you have a drain plug, just open that plug and let the fluid drain overnight .. if no drsain plug drop the pan , dump the fluid, and lightly screw the pan back up just to keep dirt and critters out, then pull it the next day.. (the converter and valve body drip for hours)..

change the internal and spin-on filters. fill it with the recommended (dex-III I believe) fluid.. , drive it for a few hundred miles.. then drain again and replace the spin-on filter.. refill and probably not havde to touch it for YEARS.. I do change the spin-on filter once a year.. (my AT545's had spin ons too)..

for the service we give our busses compared to the weay schools treat them, regular trans fluid is fine.. with lockup and a full radiator you'll probably never see the trans temp go above 195-200 even in the summer...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Is the internal filter the one that's in the pan? They're famous for not even being seated in the hole properly and often are found just floating around in the pan. The pan gasket and filter are only $25 and available at oreilly. Just wondering if there's some reason not to change it.
Internal filter is the one in the pan. I've heard about the filters popping out. Never seen one in person. If I change it, they've always included a new seal that I changed with it.

The internal filter isn't really a filter, it's more of a screen. It serves to protect the pump from large objects and really nothing more. That's why it's rarely changed. If you want to change it, then go for it.

External filter is the important one. That one protects the valve body and solenoids from clogging. We change those yearly and only use genuine allison filters(there was talk about warranties being denied by using other brands) The pricing is comparable so we thought why risk it.

If you're looking to service the trans. Swap the external filter, drain the fluid out of the drain plug, refill with your choice of fluid, and run it. If it's really bad condition, you can shorten the service interval a few times and then continue like normal.

Whatever you do. Don't use dex6 fluid. GM said it was backwards compatible with dex3 but what we found was it wasn't. I replaced many shaft seals, solenoids, and pressure switch assemblies because of it. Now every world series allison that comes for service gets Shell tes295, and the old models will get dex3.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Bus Geek

I remember reading about the horrors of DEX-6 .. it affected even the guys into hotrodding trying to use the newer fluid thinking it was "better" and that was non-allison transmissions... these were 4L60E and 4L80E.. all kinds of things got tore up..
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'll probably try to find the castrol branded stuff that's basically the same thing as TranSynd.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
Any comments on what the verdict fluid of choice and capacity is for a 2003 Thomas with an Allison 2000? Thanks in advance.

Just got new fluids and filters at CAT but since they don't do transmission work and there's no Allison service center close by I'm off to learn how to myself. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_130102.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	43545
Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepudo View Post
Any comments on what the verdict fluid of choice and capacity is for a 2003 Thomas with an Allison 2000? Thanks in advance.

Just got new fluids and filters at CAT but since they don't do transmission work and there's no Allison service center close by I'm off to learn how to myself. Attachment 43545
Only use Transynd or something equivalent. Tes295 rated.
It takes a little red spin on filter that's around $25.

Only run Cat filters for your engine, if you can. They're the best.

I LOVE that bus, congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

Just got new fluids and filters at CAT but since they don't do transmission work and there's no Allison service center close by I'm off to learn how to myself. Attachment 43545
When I got my bus, I got a helpful writeup from a bus mechanic on initial maintenance work I needed to do. This was his section on the transmission:

Quote:
For the Allison 2000 series.

Allison has their own brand of oil called Transynd TES295 and is supposed to be good for 150,000 miles. It's pretty expensive but worth it if you don't know the history of the bus and plan on keeping it long term.

Drain the oil, remove the pan and the gasket is reusable clean the magnet in the pan. Replace the external spin on filter and fill it to the cold line on the dip stick while at idle. Measure what you drain out and put the same amount back in before starting it. They can take about 12L of oil and about 6 stays in the torque converter.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Only use Transynd or something equivalent. Tes295 rated.
It takes a little red spin on filter that's around $25.

Only run Cat filters for your engine, if you can. They're the best.

I LOVE that bus, congrats!!!!!!!!
Thanks East, I had hoped you'd chime in.
Yes, I've read cat filters really are worth it. Especially for a healthy heui system in the 3126s.

I love the bus as well. Perfect size for socal and still much bigger than a van/bus
Old 04-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
When I got my bus, I got a helpful writeup from a bus mechanic on initial maintenance work I needed to do. This was his section on the transmission:
Thanks for that Mus, luckily my buses each came with a large invoice of past services... So you're saying fluids are good for 150k miles?!
Cause not only was the rig serviced like a clock, I have a complete rebuild trans in 2013 (according to the plate on the side)
and when I check the levels while parked, running and fluids warm the fluid is at the right level, nice and red and no odd smell.

The only reason I am thinking of servicing it is cause I get a "check trans" light after driving at highway speeds after about 20-25 min. I pull over and restart the rig and the light goes off for another 20-25 min.
*on one occasion I kept driving and the light did turn off on its own after a total of about 40 min...??? I'm stumped Click image for larger version

Name:	20200108_150208.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	43547
Old 04-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It sounds like your problem is something other than the fluid, but keep in mind that you won't find a user here who knows less than me about the drive train side of buses.

I'm really jealous of you people and your complete service histories for your buses. All I got out of the original school system owner of my bus was surprise that the bus is still in existence.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks East, I had hoped you'd chime in.
Yes, I've read cat filters really are worth it. Especially for a healthy heui system in the 3126s.

I love the bus as well. Perfect size for socal and still much bigger than a van/bus
I like that emergency side door.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Assuming the tranny didn't come used from another bus (although good maintenance records would indicate the mileage if it did) you can assume the miles on the fluid are from 2013 fwd unless later records indicate another fluid service.

I'd send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs (feel free to tell 'em I sent you!). They'll be able to tell the condition and type of oil in the tranny. No reason to toss 3 to 4 good gallons of transynd oil before it's time and no sense in "watering down" pricey transynd oil with other oils claiming to be the same spec...

That is a nice looking bus!
Makes me revisit cutting ten or feet off the back of mine and moving the axle fwd -- I'm bet my frame rails are already drilled for it...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
I like that emergency side door.
Thanks. Unfortunately with my intended build layout I'm gonna 'cancel it'... My kitchen counter will be there :/

But I agree it is pretty handy now that the rig is empty
Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Assuming the tranny didn't come used from another bus (although good maintenance records would indicate the mileage if it did) you can assume the miles on the fluid are from 2013 fwd unless later records indicate another fluid service.

I'd send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs (feel free to tell 'em I sent you!). They'll be able to tell the condition and type of oil in the tranny. No reason to toss 3 to 4 good gallons of transynd oil before it's time and no sense in "watering down" pricey transynd oil with other oils claiming to be the same spec...

That is a nice looking bus!

Makes me revisit cutting ten or feet off the back of mine and moving the axle fwd -- I'm bet my frame rails are already drilled for it...
Thanks Ban,

I'm leaning towards the bus trans being in pretty good shape since it came from a school that was actively using it /servicing it...

My concern is that the pesky 'check trans' light pops on under the same circumstances each time... After 25-30 min of highway speed driving.
Granted, the bus acts the same with or without the light. Shifting properly up at acceleration and down when laying off the gas.

Would this be a issue for a freightliner shop to check or a Thomas shop?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Thanks Ban,

I'm leaning towards the bus trans being in pretty good shape since it came from a school that was actively using it /servicing it...

My concern is that the pesky 'check trans' light pops on under the same circumstances each time... After 25-30 min of highway speed driving.
Granted, the bus acts the same with or without the light. Shifting properly up at acceleration and down when laying off the gas.

Considering my bus was rode hard, beaten, and then left for dead I guess I'm really lucky I don't have any eng or trans lights after getting it going again...

Best thing is to call whatever shop is local to you and ask can they read the codes and for how much$$.
Check your FB marketpage -- there might be a traveling mechanic who can read codes and be super cheap...

Realizing your tranny really was built in 2013 -- not rebuilt in 2013 I wonder if you don't have all the internals for 6sp o/d. That would be a cool bonus.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:

Yep, gotta second, third and forth everyone else on that!
Love that bus.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Not Thomas ... they deal with the body.

Freightliner would be my first choice since the whole bus is considered their domain. They may farm out the transmission to an Allison dealer, but the initial diagnostics would be done at the Freightliner shop.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #39
Bus Geek

im running Transynd in my allison 1000 6 speed. it is expensive to do the initial fill but will likely last as ong as you hve the bus. ive added very little to the transmission in the nearly 3 years since i did the swap.. likely just what ive lost changing the spin-on filter each year, so once you make the initial investment you shouldnt have to spend much to keep it full unless you break something where the fluid is lost.

-Christopher
Old 04-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Any truck shop should be able to connect to the computer and read the allison for codes.

And that is what I would do before I drain and refill the fluid. It sounds more like an electrical issue then a hydraulic one.