Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Allison 3000 Reverse Prevention when towing

Oddball thought I had the other day when watching the Bussy McBusface video on youtubewhere he accidentally backs his bus with his flat-towed jeep still connected and busts up the headlight...

Is there an easy way to prevent me from doing something similarly as stupid to make sure I don't hit R in a brainfart moment in a parking lot or something? I've got an Allison 3000, so push button control.

I got an idea from the movie "Apollo 13" where Jack puts a piece of paper over the eject switch to make sure he doesn't boot the module the other two astronauts are in too early. My thought was something like that, just a little more permanent than a piece of paper and some tape. Maybe something along the lines of a sliding tab that would cover the reverse button I could slide over as part of my towing checklist. They make them for laptops and stuff but those are too small.

Curious to see if anyone else has attempted something similar or has a good recommendation.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
3060.PNG   tab.PNG  

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i didnt watch the whole video yet.
but for the set up on my wifes shorty bus that she wanted but is still hesitant to drive with a car trailer because over 25 years she has only pulled a trailer a few times and the last time her brother hooked that one up and forgot to latch it on the ball and yeah railroad tracks.
at least i had good chains and the right length.
my solution for her is cameras i have one up high on the back to overlook the entire trailer/car.
one near the hitch to keep an eye on it.
and one on each side to use for blind spots before changing lanes.
still working on getting the always on and on with a specific signal working correct.
my monitor can see all 4 and can show all 4 or one at a time but besides everything else while driving she would have to say put it in reverse and push a button on the monitor or use the remote to get to the correct camera.
same with the left and right turn? i dont want to tap into the wire and it flash with the blinker?
i want every camera available at all times?
am also thinking of once the trailer is hooked up that the trailer is also wired for a camera on the end of it because my wife sucks at backing a trailer and she knows it.
i havent built or bought a trailer yet but have reached out to my camera system manufacturer about maybe a tee to add that or at least a coupling to extend it but the system already came with wiring long enough to run a 40' RV ?
still coiled up in a shorty. used what i needed and could probably make it to the end of a car trailer but would have to be rolled up and stored under the vehicle and switch from bumper cam to to trailer cam.
thats where i am at with my wifes bus.
hope i didnt get you in trouble and now your wife wants her own.
my wife is a travelling lab technician and once her bus is finished can find a camping spot and pocket her housing per diem.
her choice.
her bus.
but i know damn well she cant back a trailer.
much less a TOAD behind a vehicle she cant see.
yes sir it happens keep on plugging along.
i have had many a welding machine on trailers that i couldnt see behind my work truck and i always when backing into tight places have had to add pipe/conduit or whatever to stick out on either side of the trailer to see where it was at and even put water bottles on the ends and painted them orange or whatever was on my truck.
stick some flags out so you can see them in the mirrors?
maybe after that effort you might remember its back there?
the last is just giving you a hard time.
safe travels i wish for yall.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

ok i am sorry i was replying to busseymcbusface on a specific issue?
i was stupid.
please move on?
nothing to see here with my last post?
move on lets get going?
Old 07-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Oddball thought I had the other day when watching the Bussy McBusface video on youtubewhere he accidentally backs his bus with his flat-towed jeep still connected and busts up the headlight...

Is there an easy way to prevent me from doing something similarly as stupid to make sure I don't hit R in a brainfart moment in a parking lot or something? I've got an Allison 3000, so push button control.

I got an idea from the movie "Apollo 13" where Jack puts a piece of paper over the eject switch to make sure he doesn't boot the module the other two astronauts are in too early. My thought was something like that, just a little more permanent than a piece of paper and some tape. Maybe something along the lines of a sliding tab that would cover the reverse button I could slide over as part of my towing checklist. They make them for laptops and stuff but those are too small.

Curious to see if anyone else has attempted something similar or has a good recommendation.

Thanks
how about a switch cover like this oneÖ.from Digikey

Or this one from Allied Electronics
Attached Thumbnails
320723BE-9182-4426-BCB6-A531A970D43F.jpeg  
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I live on a fairly busy street and I back into my driveway. One day I was in a hurry and I had my hand over the r to be ready to switch it and my brakes sent me forward enough to hit it at the end. Stupid button shifter! I actually like it, but yeah, I need a safety.

Curious what would happen if you pressed R at highway speeds.. anyone know?
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
I live on a fairly busy street and I back into my driveway. One day I was in a hurry and I had my hand over the r to be ready to switch it and my brakes sent me forward enough to hit it at the end. Stupid button shifter! I actually like it, but yeah, I need a safety.

Time travel if your going 88 mph.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post

It "shouldn't" let you shift into it.

Remember, it's a push button, hitting it is a suggestion to the computer as to what you would like it to do. If it's not safe for the transmission to shift into reverse, like going 55 down the freeway, it shouldn't do it.

I'm often surprised how many people do shift it into reverse while moving. Those things can be real finnicky trying to get it into drive if you're foot isn't on the brake or the parking brake is still set. But on the same note, I know tow truck operators who have ruined transmissions by going d to r then to d real quickly. Then again, most tow truck operators could break an anvil with a rubber mallet .

Moral of the story is to go slow with your actions. Hand hovering the shifter probably isn't a good idea. Fully stop, then move your hand to the shifter. And if you can't see behind you because of your conversion, buy and install a back up camera. They're so cheap it's borderline irresponsible not to install one in your build, even if the conversion doesn't obstruct your back window.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not sure if there are specific reverse inhibit functions.. I do know the 3000's have various inputs to inhibit functions.. bucket trucks use such functions all the time.. ie shift inhibit so you cant go in gear when the bucket is up.. there might be a reverse inhibit wire you could set up for when your trailer is connected and you could put an override switch in to reverse when you really want to..

whether any of those inhibit functions are enabled on your TCM or not is something youd have to get a dealer to give you a CIN printout which shows what "wires" are enabled in your package.. a dealer could also enable inhibits for you if they are willing to do any custom work.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ok i am sorry i was replying to busseymcbusface on a specific issue?
i was stupid.
please move on?
nothing to see here with my last post?
move on lets get going?
OK, who's day was it to watch Jolly Roger to make sure he didn't do something stupid?

CadillacKid, was it yours? You know we can't leave him out alone!
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

i have nobody to supervise me anymore?
they have all given up on me?
Old 07-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
OK, who's day was it to watch Jolly Roger to make sure he didn't do something stupid?

CadillacKid, was it yours? You know we can't leave him out alone!

im not supervisor material.. theres a reason I dont have a wife or kids.. but I can probably build a cage if it comes to that :P
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
cadillackid

you just provided my first bit laugh today.

cage building....

thank you

on the subject of coffee.... I am finding that I really enjoy cold brewed coffee. None of the bitterness. A touch of sweetener and over ice if it is hot out side.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote