Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2024, 08:51 AM   #1

Smile Allison transmission identification

Hey everyone, I am very new here, but I have been reading for weeks and I think I am well-versed enough not to sound like a complete moron

If there is a quick reference guide to help me decode this transmission tag it would be wonderful and I will gladly research it myself, but I am currently having issues. I believe this is a 2500 series transmission, but I canít figure out anything else. may I please have some friendly knowledge bestowed upon me???

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0836.jpg  

Florida chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:53 AM   #2

OK, that photo is very hard to read on my phone so I cropped it and hope this one is better quality. If not, I will hand type everything. Let me know if thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0837.jpeg  
Old 05-30-2024, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that serial number comes back to a 3000 PTS that originally came on a Navistar Inline 6 engine with a TC413 converter.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that serial number comes back to a 3000 PTS that originally came on a Navistar Inline 6 engine with a TC413 converter.
Thank you very much Cadillac.

May I please ask how you gather this information so I can be more self-sufficient with my own research?

Also, Iíve heard the MD 3060 is the dream trans, but Iíve also heard that the 3000 is an incredible transmission. Also, I do not know enough about the torque converter from what research I see it says it has six gears with two overdrives. That sounds amazing. Also, is this transmission that I should put my shoes on and go look at the bus right now?

Please, if this is too much of a noob question, can you point me to the correct forum? I am not trying to be a bother. Iím only trying to get smarter.

Thank you
Old 05-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida chili View Post
Thank you very much Cadillac.

May I please ask how you gather this information so I can be more self-sufficient with my own research?

Also, Iíve heard the MD 3060 is the dream trans, but Iíve also heard that the 3000 is an incredible transmission. Also, I do not know enough about the torque converter from what research I see it says it has six gears with two overdrives. That sounds amazing. Also, is this transmission that I should put my shoes on and go look at the bus right now?

Please, if this is too much of a noob question, can you point me to the correct forum? I am not trying to be a bother. Iím only trying to get smarter.

Thank you

allison has an online tool for lookinfg up transmission serial numbers... it used to be out in the open but now its behind a login. i have a login for allison so it was easy to look up..

3000 is the series.. a 3060 is a vocation in the 3000 series... allison transmissions have many different "vocations".. a vocation is like say a slightly different variant used in a school bus vs a trash truck vs a bucket truck.. alot has to do with the program of the TCM (transmission computer)...

school busses are typically shipped with a 3060 that has only gears 1-5 with 6th gear disabled... there are people who can turn it on..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
allison has an online tool for lookinfg up transmission serial numbers... it used to be out in the open but now its behind a login. i have a login for allison so it was easy to look up..

3000 is the series.. a 3060 is a vocation in the 3000 series... allison transmissions have many different "vocations".. a vocation is like say a slightly different variant used in a school bus vs a trash truck vs a bucket truck.. alot has to do with the program of the TCM (transmission computer)...

school busses are typically shipped with a 3060 that has only gears 1-5 with 6th gear disabled... there are people who can turn it on..

Wonderful

so an Allison 3060 would be a
(3) 3000 series
(0) close ratio
(6) six speed transmission probably limited to five forward gears until I contact Allison
(0)