Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Anything besides an Allison?

I know we all love the Allison transmisions that come in our skoolies. I all too often see it as an advertising point.."diesel engine, Allison transmition". Though I know there are several different models, does anyone have an 80's or newer bus (full size chassis) that has any other automatic transmission besides one built by Allison? Is it fair enough to say that pretty much all modern skoolies with auto trannys are running allisons? educate me

SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
I know we all love the Allison transmisions that come in our skoolies. I all too often see it as an advertising point.."diesel engine, Allison transmition". Though I know there are several different models, does anyone have an 80's or newer bus (full size chassis) that has any other automatic transmission besides one built by Allison? Is it fair enough to say that pretty much all modern skoolies with auto trannys are running allisons? educate me
The van cutaways have transmissions from whoever made the van component of the bus (Ford or Chevy).

I have never heard of a non-Allison transmission being used in a full size bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Though the Allison was definitely a selling point for Chevy/gmc Duramax pickup trucks, in a bus it's like "yeh..and??" Cummins and Allison both kick ass in a pickup truck but aren't necessarily an automatic "Holy Grail" in a school bus..unless you have an 8.3 or 643 (or better) that is.2˘
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
pretty much until recently no one else made an auto trans for the american Market in a medium duty.. I believe ZF made some that went into mercedes medium duty trucks..

nowadays Eaton makes one that is going in the new gasoline school busses..

ZF and Voith made autos in City transit busses but ive not seen them in school busses..

im guessing that the ease of making an allison operate and talk to the electronic engines compared to some of the other offerings, along with cost iswhat drives the allison market in school busses so hard
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote