Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Batteries Drain Instantly

Hello,

I have a 2010 Micro Bluebird. I got brand new batteries for it, but they die way too quickly- within about a day or two. Any ideas why this could be? Is something possibly left on? I get them charged but they keep dying, last time they got charged they were drained all the way down to 6V. Thanks for the help in advance.

emmaabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Emma, does your bus have a battery disconnect switch? If so, it will look like a toggle or straight valve handle and it's usually located near the battery compartment. I've seen some where the handle is facing the ground, behind the side skirt of the bus, so you may need to crawl around beneath the bus to see if you have one.

If you have a disconnect switch, it's a good idea to turn that off until you can find the phantom load that's draining your batteries. In the long run, you'll need to find the thing that's "on" all the time. For that, you'll need a multimeter with a clamp-on DC amperage function. It might be best to find a friend with one and the skills to use it to measure power draw through different circuits.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Here’s how to do a parasitic draw test

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaabraham View Post
Hello,

I have a 2010 Micro Bluebird. I got brand new batteries for it, but they die way too quickly- within about a day or two. Any ideas why this could be? Is something possibly left on? I get them charged but they keep dying, last time they got charged they were drained all the way down to 6V. Thanks for the help in advance.

If they were drained to 6 volts they are permanently and severely damaged. Figure out the problem and then have them load tested and replaced under the warranty (that you hopefully have).
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
If they were drained to 6 volts they are permanently and severely damaged. Figure out the problem and then have them load tested and replaced under the warranty (that you hopefully have).
Haha, yeah. If you have a warranty they’ll replace it. But don’t let on that you have an obvious problem.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Haha, yeah. If you have a warranty they’ll replace it. But don’t let on that you have an obvious problem.
Well I'd certainly tell them all about the obvious problem.....OBVIOUSLY the battery is defective!
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, dead battery