Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Bendix Compressor Building Too Much Pressure

This is on a Bluebird TC1000 bus with the 5.9L cummins and gear driven Bendix compressor.

After identifying several leaks which required both the pressure protection valve at the day tank and the R-12 relay valve to be replaced the system now builds pressure in excess of 145 psi when idling. Both front and rear tank fill up to that level and probably even higher if I don't shut it off. When I drive the bus the pressure drops to around 90-100.

1. I believe the compressor is failing to go into "unload mode" which it should do at 120 psi. Should I go ahead and replace the D-2 governor or should I check something else first?

2. Shouldn't the pressure protection valve in the day tank open before it reaches that high of a pressure?

Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
This is on a Bluebird TC1000 bus with the 5.9L cummins and gear driven Bendix compressor.

After identifying several leaks which required both the pressure protection valve at the day tank and the R-12 relay valve to be replaced the system now builds pressure in excess of 145 psi when idling. Both front and rear tank fill up to that level and probably even higher if I don't shut it off. When I drive the bus the pressure drops to around 90-100.

1. I believe the compressor is failing to go into "unload mode" which it should do at 120 psi. Should I go ahead and replace the D-2 governor or should I check something else first?

2. Shouldn't the pressure protection valve in the day tank open before it reaches that high of a pressure?

I believe the pressure protection valve "pops" at around 150. (It should be spring loaded and close once pressure drops a bit). Sounds like the governor has indeed failed and needs replaced/rebuilt.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Change the governor.

I've only ever seen a faulty governor cause high pressure issues, never the compressor.

The innards will get gummy from moisture and dirt and cause what you're experiencing. You can take it apart and clean it, they have rebuild/reseal kits for them, but you can find new ones cheap enough that it's usually not worth the trouble.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Perfect. Thanks both.
New governor on the way.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote