Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Brakes not releasing

I went to move my 2004 international into the shop Saturday to avoid it being buried in snow and the brakes were not releasing. At first I had thought it was slightly sunk into the ground, so I gave it a bit of gas and it moved slightly and then stopped. I was able to struggle it into the shop as it was only about 50 feet away, once parked and turned off the brake lights remained on as if the brake pedal was being pressed. Stuck my toe under the pedal and it moved up, and the lights went off.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Should the air pressure remain up while the bus has been sitting for a long time? When I started it, it was in the red and beeping, and slowly built back up over 1-2 minutes.

Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im assuming the bus has true air brakes and not hydraulic wit hair park-brake or air gauge just for suspension?

thats pretty normal. for the pressure to go flat over a time.. in fact if the pressure is below 60 your brakes wont release.. above 30 and you can press the park brake release knob in but the brakes wont release as the springs are still applied..

the beeper usually atops somewhere around 70-80 PSI.. at that point your springs should be released and the bus move. .

on true air brakes the lights are usually activated by air pressure in the brake lines.. so it could mean you have a bad or sticking treadle valve if your lights are staying on with foot off..

if you toe up the pedal does it feel like your bus wants to move more freely?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im assuming the bus has true air brakes and not hydraulic wit hair park-brake or air gauge just for suspension?

thats pretty normal. for the pressure to go flat over a time.. in fact if the pressure is below 60 your brakes wont release.. above 30 and you can press the park brake release knob in but the brakes wont release as the springs are still applied..

the beeper usually atops somewhere around 70-80 PSI.. at that point your springs should be released and the bus move. .

on true air brakes the lights are usually activated by air pressure in the brake lines.. so it could mean you have a bad or sticking treadle valve if your lights are staying on with foot off..

if you toe up the pedal does it feel like your bus wants to move more freely?
-Christopher
You are correct in your assumptions. The Treadle valve seems like a logical place to start. A few weeks ago, we had some snow and it blew the door open and snow ended up all over the drivers area and that could be the cause of it becoming sticky. Great advice, thank you!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Skoolie

Found some time to inspect the pedal and it does appear to be the culprit. Lifting the pedal does in fact release the brakes.