Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 02:00 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas MVP EF
Chassis: 47373
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 30000
Bus not moving forward

Hey yíall.

So randomly after about a week of sitting, I went to pull my bus around and it wonít move forward. I started the bus up fine. Waited for the air pressure to get above 60 psi, shifted into drive, and then tried to move forward and it wouldnít budge.

I can tell itís definitely shifted into drive because when I shift from neutral to drive it bucks a bit. Same with reverse. It was driving fine just last week. Nothing has changed. I feel itís something to do with the brakes. I drained all the air out and filled it back up. Still nothing.

Can anyone tell me what they think is wrong?

Itzbussinbussin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
could be the brake shoes are stuck to the drum.
make sure your brake pressure is up at least closer to 90 and try shifting forward to reverse trying to rock the bus back and forth. if that doesnt work then you can chock the wheels and climb under the bus and hit the drums with a hammer good sharp blows all the way around the drum everywhere you can.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #3

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas MVP EF
Chassis: 47373
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 30000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
could be the brake shoes are stuck to the drum.
make sure your brake pressure is up at least closer to 90 and try shifting forward to reverse trying to rock the bus back and forth. if that doesnt work then you can chock the wheels and climb under the bus and hit the drums with a hammer good sharp blows all the way around the drum everywhere you can.
Wow. Now itís moving forward again. Problem solved.

Do you know why that happens? Is there anything I can do prevent it or a specific reason why you think it happened in the first place ?

Thanks!
Itzbussinbussin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
if your weather has been like mine bipolar one day in the 70's the next day in the 50's and the nights one time in the 30's and the next in the 50's and rain in between then its compensating and creating rust in the drums.
one is to drive it more often.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Had a similar hiccup with my bus a while back. If you're getting the bucking when shifting, it does sound like it's engaging the gear. Brake issues could be a culprit, but it might also be worth checking the transmission fluid level.
frxmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzbussinbussin View Post
Wow. Now itís moving forward again. Problem solved.

Do you know why that happens? Is there anything I can do prevent it or a specific reason why you think it happened in the first place ?

Thanks!
Your slack adjusters could be shot or out of whack. Is this an air brake system?

They are easy to adjust and you could try to adjust them. They may have been tightened too much during a service or naturally tightened. I'd start there first.

Most slack adjusters have a hexagon looking bolt. You don't actually use a wrench on it, and there's also a square bolt on the bottom of the adjuster. You want to tighten the square bolt till it's tight. It won't turn the other way so don't try or you could break your slackadjuster. Once the square area is tightened you can take a small flat head screwdriver and pry under the hexagon looking bolt on the side. It pops out like a washer would if you pried it up. Once up, (doesn't come out all the way), you can then turn the square bolt the other direction and you should do so half a turn (Half a circle), then push the hex washer thing back in, and you're done. Do this to all 4 slack adjusters to adjust your brakes properly.

If it's hydrolic brakes, then ask someone else as I haven't messed with those on a bus.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote