Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus with no power to dash...

Hi Folks! I do not have a bus yet but I am looking at one that is super cheap, however there is no power to the dash. The bus only starts if someone goes out back and turns over the engine (an 8 cylender cat motor). Once started it drives fine according to the current owner. The bus is an early 50's gilig that was converted back in the 70's and just makes me drool! The guy wants less than 2k for it and the interior is nice but vintage. I'm not to mechanically minded so I'd like to get a realistic point of view before I jump the gun and get myself into more than I can deal with. Could the issue be similar to replacing the starter in a regular car? Or would it likley be an electrical problem because the signal has to reach all the way back to the diesel pusher? I can't help but think if I pass this bus by I will regret it later but I'm afraid if there is something wrong other than the starter I could never afford to fix it.
Thanks

DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Bus with no power to dash...

If it starts from the rear, the starter isn't bad. If it has a rear starting panel, there should be a switch to change back to the front controls. Mine is an either/or not both. That said it probably isn't anything major. Worst case scenario is having to run new wiring from back to front.(not particularly hard) How does the wiring look in general? Is it a mess with many splices and cracked insulation? My guess is something relatively simple. The only equipment you need to trouble shoot something that old is a test light and a volt meter. If you know someone who worked on cars pre computer, it should be a a piece of cake.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks somewhereinusa! I haven't seen the bus in real life yet but I'm going to try to get pics of the wiring to post on here.
DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

does the entire dash not work or just the front controls?
if entire dashk then its an electrical issue