Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Buying my first bus! Need engine advice!

Hi everyone! So I’ve been lurking for a little while and trying to do my own research but I’m stumped! I’m not knowledgeable enough about mechanical things and engines and although it learning, I need advice!

I’m looking at a few short buses for sale right now. I have limited information but let me tell you what I know!

1st bus is a little (4 Windows) ‘95 Chevy bus with a Gas engine 5.7 V8 ,automatic transmission and 36,955 original miles. The seller said the lowest he could go is $4500

2nd bus is slightly larger (5 Windows) ‘94 Type B (Box Style) School Bus with the vintage looking breadbox front end. It’s a Chevy GMC 6.7L Diesel Turbo Engine with 300k miles. Lowest the seller will go is $3500.

Are either of these worth the money or should I keep looking? I’m set on a short bus (wife isn’t ready for a full size) and we plan on living in and traveling with this conversion full-time for more than a year. Following decent weather, but all over the US.

Thanks so much for any input or advice!!

Wolfestales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I've been a mechanic for 15 years I've gotten interesting mix of experience and for somebody who isn't experienced getting into this kind of thing I think you'd be better off with the lower mil gasser it'll be easier for you to Source Parts because that Motors been used in damn near everything yeah it's going to drink fuel little bit more expensive then running the diesel but with the high mileage diesel and those blocks eventually crack there still is lots of parts available for the diesel but they're more expensive and you're going to start getting into acting to do some bigger repairs and on anything older expect there to be oil leaks gaskets don't last forever and when the engine is running and all warmed up you shouldn't have too much Blow by there always is a little bit and I bet you the diesel will have way more Blow by than the gas but that's something you need to get experience with to judge
Brad199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Gasser vs. Diesel

In this case I’d pick that Chevy 350 (5.7) over the high mileage diesel. Parts are super cheap (i.e. water pumps, seals, service parts, etc) because it’s such a common engine and the average hotrodder’s go-to powerplant.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote