Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #1

California bus emissions

I am looking at a 2002 bus from a CA school district. I am guessing it has a retrofit for DPF or some other emission system. Would I be able to remove the retrofit once I get it out of CA? What would the removal entail? ECM flash or just remove hardware and cap off? Thanks in advance!

jproctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
It could legally be removed for use outside CA as it is not federally required for a 2002. As it is a retrofit, I would say that removal depends on how it is controlled.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What’s the make/model? Are you sure it has a filter? Those retrofits are expensive so older buses usually got auctioned or crushed.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure it is a filter, I am waiting to hear back from the seller. It is a 2002 International RE with a DT530, I am guessing they are getting rid of it because of the new laws in CA.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
FAC
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
I bought an Oregon bus that had an aftermarket dpf installed. It had a small standalone computer, which really was just exhaust temp and pressure warning lights. I have removed it and replaced it with a standard muffler and have had zero problems.
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC View Post
I bought an Oregon bus that had an aftermarket dpf installed. It had a small standalone computer, which really was just exhaust temp and pressure warning lights. I have removed it and replaced it with a standard muffler and have had zero problems.
Thanks for sharing your experience with removing it. I am hoping the seller gets back to me soon and that they provide similar info!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
Traveling

That's all a DPF really is, is a filter, the diesel equivalent of a catalytic converter. If it's not factory installed and not required for the year model, removal shouldn't really be that big of a deal.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It probably does not have anything retrofit. California's CARB regulations specify the year of engine required (and full replacement if it's not new enough), not any particular piece of emissions equipment (so retrofitting more modern emissions equipment would not make the bus legal). Beginning next year, a 2002 bus would need to have its engine replaced with one from 2010 or newer - this is presumably why it's being sold now.

If it's registered as an RV, it will be exempt from this engine replacement requirement.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Traveling

Actually, under CARB, Cancerfornia has indeed retrofitted DPFs to older equipment. There is one such company they have used called Cleaire.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
my first bus, a 1999 international crown/carpenter with a DT466E from cleveland ohio had an add on DPF in the exhaust, many school districts in large cities got federal funds to install them
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

I heard back from the seller. He confirmed that the engine (DT530) has a DPF but did/could not confirm if it was a retrofit. The bus is a 2002 International model, manufactured in October 2001. It has been a California school bus this whole time.

Would there be any chance it came from the factory with the DPF installed since it was being sent to California? As for removal, does it make a difference if it came factory installed or is a retrofit?

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to respond!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Traveling

DPF did not appear factory until 07 or so, so it is likely a retrofit and can be removed without issue.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the navistar computers in 2002 dont have the capability to handle a DPF so you wont affect the engine opoeration by removing it..

if you want to delete anything 2007+ you need to have an export Calibration file to load into the computer .. wherethe vehicle was configured for export to india (typically)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote