Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC Bluebird
Engine: Cat 3126
Cat 3116/Allison advice needed!

So we had a baby and now after a year have decided to do some traveling by bus. I am usually over cautious which often prevents me from actually pulling the trigger on what may be a good deal. Looking for some sound advice and input from y'all!

We located one that seems great but would love your input as it is a few states away so we can't just show up with a mechanic. The bus is a 35ft 1992 Thomas with a 3116 cat engine, Allison automatic transmission. I am told the engine, transmission and running gear are in excellent shape. Brakes have around 5k on them. Tires have lots of tread. New 4D battery, heavy duty tow hitch used to pull dirt bikes to Mexico the last 5 years. The bus was maintained by a bus mechanic and owned by a former bus driver. It's in great shape and registered as an rv. Title is clean. The bus has about 150k and motor about 85k since the engine broke a crankshaft around 60k. Current owner states the engine was repaired and is in excellent shape. He also states that he is confident in its ability to safely get us from one coast to the other with no issues.

Anything you have to offer as far as the engine and mechanics are concerned would be greatly appreciated. Providing everything checks out what would be a fair offer? It is currently a barebones no frills camp style bus with bunk beds. Any other tips that might keep us from getting stranded somewhere would be great. Thanks everyone

joshjohnson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.
If I was you I would get over there and look it over and test drive it first before thinking price. Sounds like a nice combination except I don't know about the Allison auto transmission. Should be fine if the owners are truthful.
I have the 3116 with a 5speed standard, 19997 Bluebird. It's a bit slow through the gears in town but on the highway it will cruise night and day with no issues. Power to spare let's say so I am very happy and it's non computerized which works for me.
Have you got any pics available.
Most folks here don't like Cat engines mostly due to parts costs. But a well mfg. part is worth it in my mind. And dealers are everywhere so that your travels should be worry free.
Mine is also a FE so no clue if I'd like a RE engine. I like to hear and feel those horse pullin!
If that bus did Mexico it should have a good cooling system also. The trailer hitch is a plus as is a basically empty bus so if me I'd be all over it asap.

John
Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Best advice, shop for a bus at the local bus barn (school district bus parking area) through the Public Surplus or Federal auctions.

http://www.govliquidation.com/

https://www.govdeals.com/

http://www.publicsurplus.com/

Most of us here don't like buying buses from re-sellers. People say they feel at risk during the auctions. Consider who has more reason to pawn a bad bus off on you, a county agency or a bus re-seller that stands to make a profit? I'd prefer a bus that has been recently pulled from service, simply because I know it has had frequent use rather than buying a bus that has been sitting in someone's backyard for who knows how long.

Additionally, most of us here don't like Cat engines because of their propriatory parts that are considerably expensive compared to International and Cummins parts. There are also people that prefer Cat engines, so do what you're comfortable with.

You didn't mention if those brakes were air or wet brakes. Again it's a personal choice, but most of us prefer air because they're safer and more durable.

You'd do well to read information on anything you have questions about. It works best if you search subjects through google; i.e. "brakes, skoolie.net" or "insulation, skoolie.net."

Are you thinking of making the weekend camper type bus or are you thinking of doing a full build to live in?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
For the bad news, Cat is not a favored engine by the majority but there are Cat users that swear they are just fine. You mentioned the brakes. Are those air or hydraulic? Also if you don't mind my asking, how much is that bus selling for?

Are you planning a good weather camper out of the bus or are you planning a full build that you can live in for an extended period of time?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/6165118552.html

Listed at $4500. If everything is as the seller says would you say that's a good price or should I talk it down a bit? Really have no idea a good price is on a bus? Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
For the bad news, Cat is not a favored engine by the majority but there are Cat users that swear they are just fine. You mentioned the brakes. Are those air or hydraulic? Also if you don't mind my asking, how much is that bus selling for?

Are you planning a good weather camper out of the bus or are you planning a full build that you can live in for an extended period of time?

Listed at $4500, is that a good price?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Welcome.
If I was you I would get over there and look it over and test drive it first before thinking price. Sounds like a nice combination except I don't know about the Allison auto transmission. Should be fine if the owners are truthful.
I have the 3116 with a 5speed standard, 19997 Bluebird. It's a bit slow through the gears in town but on the highway it will cruise night and day with no issues. Power to spare let's say so I am very happy and it's non computerized which works for me.
Have you got any pics available.
Most folks here don't like Cat engines mostly due to parts costs. But a well mfg. part is worth it in my mind. And dealers are everywhere so that your travels should be worry free.
Mine is also a FE so no clue if I'd like a RE engine. I like to hear and feel those horse pullin!
If that bus did Mexico it should have a good cooling system also. The trailer hitch is a plus as is a basically empty bus so if me I'd be all over it asap.

John

Only pics I have are the ones in the craigslist post above. So it's listed at $4500, would you say that's a good price if everything is as he says it is?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
That engine should be fine. Similar to a 3126 size wise but less power, and like previously stated, no computer control.

The allison is likely an at545. I've had no problems with mine and a few others in the shop but some people like to avoid them at all costs. They're not as robust as other allison options out there. Make sure the throttle cable to the trans is adjusted properly and it should last you a while.

I like the fact that it is already has a mh title. That is one less step you have to take. How much are they asking for it?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The 3116 had a problematic injector/cup setup. I wouldn't be too excited about any bus with a Cat in it, but for the right price I'd take a 3126. There's no pricetag that would make me take a 3116.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my all mechanical AT545 is a beast... it shifts firm and stout every time.. has that school bus whine and has taken me through everything but the rockies so far.. I feel like I can drive that ome anywhere..

my newer electronic modulated AT545 felt flimsy and whimpy.. thats why its on my garage floor now...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
The 3116 had a problematic injector/cup setup. I wouldn't be too excited about any bus with a Cat in it, but for the right price I'd take a 3126. There's no pricetag that would make me take a 3116.
I feel the same way.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
just bought a 1998 bluebird on a chevy (71 pass) from a school 3116 cat with allison auto 112k miles hydraulic disk all the way around for 3k. clean exterior and service records having found what i wanted the mechanical cat was my preference for a engine as i have 30 years experience with working on trucks as a certified m/m i have seen these motors go 1 mil with regular service but i dont think ill hit half of that i been looking to buy for 6 months and june is a buyers month definitely buy right from a school is my opionion
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, cat 3116, engines, reliability, thomas made