Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7 300/800
Rated Cap: 31
Cat c7 huei filter

Hey everyone
Just picked up a 2005 Thomas Hdx with a c7 Cat. I'm having the mechanics install the huei filter
Just wanted to ask if anyone is running one.

https://ifskit.com/

We have our IFS all over the planet.
Customers in the UK, Saudi Arabia, Australia and on ocean going cargo ships where they use C7's for air compressors and hydraulic systems.
Please know that we support what we sell. Our kit is Turnkey with everything you or your mechanic would need to install.

https://youtu.be/y1vuOSPDXNM

Peter

Peterjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quick reply from me to me. I purchased the IFS HUEY filter, its being installed as we speak. I haven't taken delivery of my bus yet. But the way I look at it, there are two engineering weaknesses of the C7, the HUEI pump and the rockers. I had the top end inspected,and the huei was replaced once, but, there was no in line filter after the pump, so this was money well spent I think.

If anyone feels like they need one, the info is in my post. cheers!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
A filter after the pump will only catch contaminants from pump failure. It will do nothing to increase pump life or help the pump in any way. That filter will protect the injectors however

If you want to protect the pump, frequent oil and filter changes while using good oil filters is about the only thing you can do.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
A filter after the pump will only catch contaminants from pump failure. It will do nothing to increase pump life or help the pump in any way. That filter will protect the injectors however

If you want to protect the pump, frequent oil and filter changes while using good oil filters is about the only thing you can do.

Hi Booyah, thats correct, and I agree. That filter is the difference between a $1000 repair job [Huei pump replacement only] or a $5000 repair job if the Huei pump goes south as all the injectors would need to be replaced most likely.
I'm a little surprised no one else is running one on these forums.
Its good insurance I think.

Cheers,
Old 08-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ford / IH 7.3, 6.0 are also HEUI engines.. maybe the cat HPOP is different? I think almost no one runs a filter Post HPOP is that HPOP failure with schrapnel is something I almost never hear about.. wearing HPOP that eventually fails to build the required pressures is something that does happen.. esp in situations where guys are running performance tuners and injectors that require the HPOP to run near flat out all the time..

assuming it doesnt cause any flow restrictions or back pressure on the pump when the filter starts tio get dirty then it sure seems like it cant hurt.. I would however want to keep both the main oil filters and the HPOP filter siminlar in filtration size (microns). or replace them all during every oil change.. or is the HEUI filter desaigned with a larger particle pass-through and just a protection against pump metals and not oil contaminents?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
here ya go-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the ford / IH 7.3, 6.0 are also HEUI engines.. maybe the cat HPOP is different? I think almost no one runs a filter Post HPOP is that HPOP failure with schrapnel is something I almost never hear about.. wearing HPOP that eventually fails to build the required pressures is something that does happen.. esp in situations where guys are running performance tuners and injectors that require the HPOP to run near flat out all the time..
There are a few differences between the cat and IH designs. The heui pump in the IH engines is a fixed displacement with a pwm controlled valve to regulate pressure. Whereas cat used a variable displacement pump with a bleed orifice.

The IH pumps very rarely lunch themselves, they're much more simple and
very rarely send shrapnel through the system. If they do, I think the injectors have screens on the oil inlet to prevent ingestion of said metal.

The last ford/IH pump that I replaced was because the internal swash plate, which was supposed to be held by a press fit, rotated 90 degrees. This caused the intake and delivery ports to be out of time with the pumping action, which caused the pump to no longer pump.

Cat pumps, being variable displacement, are more complicated. They have more moving parts and will lunch themselves, sending shrapnel through the system. The injectors also don't have inlet screens, so they will ingest metal and become ruined if shrapnel is present.

I won't say trashed heui pumps are a common problem with cats. But normally, if a repair requires replacing the pump, it will also include injector replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
assuming it doesnt cause any flow restrictions or back pressure on the pump when the filter starts tio get dirty then it sure seems like it cant hurt.. I would however want to keep both the main oil filters and the HPOP filter siminlar in filtration size (microns). or replace them all during every oil change.. or is the HEUI filter desaigned with a larger particle pass-through and just a protection against pump metals and not oil contaminents?

-Christopher
I think it's more of a metal mesh screen then a high efficiency filter. There is an indicator to show when it's full, and when it is full, they do have replaceable elements. Not sure if you can clean the old ones or not. Oil contaminants should be caught by the primary oil filter, so if you're getting contaminants into this unit, you're not changing your filters often enough.