Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Check Trans Light, Engine Won't Start

I have a 40' 2002 Thomas bus with a 5.9 Cummins Engine and an Allison transmission. I have a problem with the transmission right now. The problem is this: I drove the bus all around and it was great, for hundreds of miles. I parked it to begin my conversion and a couple weeks later I go to start it and a red "Check Trans" light comes on the dash, and the engine won't turn or start. If I turn the key, nothing happens. I do nothing about it for two weeks or so, then I turn the key one day and the engine starts and the light disappears. I drive it around for a couple of miles, then park it again. A week later, I turn the key again and the same check trans light comes on and the engine won't start.

I spoke to a mechanic the first time it acted up on me, and he thought that (maybe) the transmission computer was telling the engine computer that it wasn't in neutral. FYI, the electric display always shows up as "N" when I turn it on, indicating it is, in fact, in neutral. The mechanic suggested disconnecting the batteries for 15 minutes, then reconnecting them. He thought this might reset the computer. I did that, but it didn't do anything at the time.

Any other ideas? I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything. I remember seeing a post a while back about some magical combination of "N" and "D" button pushes that might reset it? Thanks a lot for your help guys!

WWOOFTOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If I were in your shoes, I would try and find someone with the ability to read the fault codes from your Allison. This should give you a definitive answer as to what the computer "thinks" the problem is.

I have heard that the software to read the codes can be found for free. It will require the appropriate interface cable.

Maybe CaddilacKid will chime in here. He is very knowledgeable in this area.

Good Luck!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
That trans computer needs good clean battery access- I bet you are forgetting to add that little mystery pigtail in battery box sometimes when you swap batteries/connections around?

2 strong batteries required.

Check trans light is idiot light that comes-on as test when key is inserted, but when bus is running, goes off.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not familiar enough with the allison MD3060 (which it sounds like he has).. to know if that would lock out the starter.. a bad ground wire somewhere can definitely turn on wack-O lights and hold up things..

the NEXIQ USBLINK device can read the J1708 / J1939 data from the computer.. but im not sure if the CUmmins software is free.. I know Navistar gives away their software.

a scanGauge D can read out the straight codes (it costs a lot less than the nexiq device)..

does your bus have the freightliner Dash on it with the LCD display? its possible you may be able to read the codes from it.

I saw this document on line.. im more a navistar guy so these may not help.

http://www.carolinathomas.com/wp-con...mas-Bus-70.pdf

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have the MD3060 and while I have not experienced it first hand I have read in the drivers manual that transmission faults can prevent starting the bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have the MD3060 and while I have not experienced it first hand I have read in the drivers manual that transmission faults can prevent starting the bus.
Any info that can help me ?
Ontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have a Allison transmission md3060 check trans light is on. Won't turn over. Clicking a few times can be heard behind engine.
Ontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Any fix to this problem? I am having basically the same issue. Bus cranked went twenty feet stopped and now I can’t get it to turn over

ANY Help
Ourroadhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126 / MD3060
Anyone fixed these issues? I'm in the same boat with check trans light. Fresh batteries topped off. But the bus won't turn over. I have a cat 3126 and Allison md3060
bb12489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb12489 View Post
Anyone fixed these issues? I'm in the same boat with check trans light. Fresh batteries topped off. But the bus won't turn over. I have a cat 3126 and Allison md3060
I can't speak to Cat and/or Cummins, but I know on some of my international buses its common for the check trans light to come on even if there's something else wrong preventing the engine from starting. If it's new enough to be an electronic engine you really need to get diagnostics on it to see what's going on.

If it really is a trans issue, some of the chinese knockoff nexiq devices will include a dvd that has a ripped off copy of Allison DOC for running transmission diagnostics. I can share my copy, but heads up, it's a little tempermental to install, requires searching for and modifying some registry entries....
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #11

This turned out to be fuel line dry rotted and I wasn’t getting fuel to the engine. Replaced all fuel lines and no issues. If you it sounds like it wants to turn over but won’t it’s probably starved of fuel somewhere. We started ours with some ether spray and then drove to mechanic to have lines checked out. May take two people to execute or quick running. Sorry your having similar problem
Ourroadhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:22 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If it's a diesel and turning over it pretty much HAS to be a fuel problem as diesels only need two things to run.....COMPRESSION and FUEL.
The fuel needs to be injected at the right time, in the right amount, but it's going to be a fuel issue.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
If it's a diesel and turning over it pretty much HAS to be a fuel problem as diesels only need two things to run.....COMPRESSION and FUEL.
The fuel needs to be injected at the right time, in the right amount, but it's going to be a fuel issue.

the HEUI engines complicate things because the injectors run on oil and electricity.. so the fuel problem can actually be caused by an oil problem or an electrical problem..

engines like my old DT360 are usually easier to track fown the fuel problem... if the primer pump is pumping air (you can tell)then you know its on the negative side of the system since the lift pump is built into the injection pump.. if the primer pump is firm then you know its either high pressure or timing issue.. (or heat if its cold out.. but then you'll see smoke... where theres smoke theres fire.. where theres fire theres at least some fuel!)...
Old 08-20-2022, 02:12 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the HEUI engines complicate things because the injectors run on oil and electricity.. so the fuel problem can actually be caused by an oil problem or an electrical problem..

TRUE but it's still a fuel problem..... just more than tank, fuel pump, lines, and injectors.
As a motor T guy we used to mess with the aimers (non mechanics that drive). Our admin Ford F350 crew cab gasser had the fuel cutoff for impacts RIGHT above and left of the parking brake.
We'd pull up, turn it off, kick that little box on our way out, hand the keys to the person going to drive it. And then harass them for not being able to start the thing.
We'd get in and as we did reset that little button, start it up, shut it down, and kick it on the way out.

With the big diesels they all had an emergency fuel shutoff T handle in the cab. You'd put that T handle and then you had to go under the hood to reset the cam as it was a one way set up. So we'd pull the handle, push it back in, and then watch the aimers trying to start the truck.
NOTE: They were supposed to know of and check this item in their preop.
It was all in good fun.

Yep, your tax dollars at work folks. LOL
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
TRUE but it's still a fuel problem..... just more than tank, fuel pump, lines, and injectors.
As a motor T guy we used to mess with the aimers (non mechanics that drive). Our admin Ford F350 crew cab gasser had the fuel cutoff for impacts RIGHT above and left of the parking brake.
We'd pull up, turn it off, kick that little box on our way out, hand the keys to the person going to drive it. And then harass them for not being able to start the thing.
We'd get in and as we did reset that little button, start it up, shut it down, and kick it on the way out.

With the big diesels they all had an emergency fuel shutoff T handle in the cab. You'd put that T handle and then you had to go under the hood to reset the cam as it was a one way set up. So we'd pull the handle, push it back in, and then watch the aimers trying to start the truck.
NOTE: They were supposed to know of and check this item in their preop.
It was all in good fun.

Yep, your tax dollars at work folks. LOL

this is awesome!!! hey you know it todays world it could be a security feature!! park in a bad neighborhood give it a boot on the way out! LOL

Tags
allison, check trans, transmission, transmission computer