Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Clutch Adjustment Crown SuperCoach ii

Hi all I know what your thinking why didn't he look on youtube or search the internet etc. etc. I have and keep coming up with nothing so here is the question. I have a new to me 1990 Crown SuperCoach ii with a reverse 6 speed eaton FS6106a, will not go into 1st, 2nd and 3rd are a bear 5th and 6th less of a struggle once moving. I am thinking clutch adjustment and possible linkage adjustment. I know the process and have made these adjustments on trucks in the past they always have a clutch brake this trans has none so any idea what my clearance is? Clutch was replaced 2000 miles ago in Washington before the bus was transported to Colorado any advice would be much appreciated.

Lastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I'll have a look in my Crown Service Manual and see if there's anything mentioned about adjusting it. Otherwise, the CCJ forum (unfortunately now only active on FaceBook) has plenty of folk there who may well know, even though a Super II with a manual is a rarity. You say you have a reverse-pattern transmission - is your bus a pusher? If so, that makes it even rarer than the mid-engine Super IIs, some of which had manuals. Is yours the 38-footer without its rear bumper that was recently on Mendocino County Craigslist?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #3

It is a pusher and only 35'
Old 08-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

Here is a picture for ya, let me know if the service manual sheds any light. Thank you Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_695.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Aaron, I checked my Crown manual tonight, but there's nothing in it about adjusting clutches. Sorry! It may be better for you to contact the owners of Series I Crowns on the BCM forum, most of whose buses have manual transmissions and presumably have clutch adjustments as part of their routine service.

The Super IIs were made in 36, 38 and 40 foot sizes, so I'm guessing yours is a 36 footer. A pusher that short is a rarity, and one with a 6-speed is especially rare, so you may possibly have a unique bus. What engine does it have? Was it always a WA bus (with the double rub rails and 8-way flashers)? What school district had it? Do you plan on converting it?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

John I have the 8.3 cummins, I believe it was always a WA bus, I do plan to convert if I can sort out this transmission issue. Thank you for checking your manual.