Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coolant and heater hose question

Here’s some background and current situation.

I got an 09 35’ bluebird 6.7 cummins ISB rear engine. Radiator has sticker that calls for John Deere cool guard however guy before me replaced water pump and changed to Fleet Global Charge (red). Local shop said the red extended life was better and it would be fine. I deleted the rear heater inside the cab but left the heater under driver seat and the defroster. When I rerouted my coolant lines I bought the cheaper 1” gates heater hose. I’ve been told this isn’t as good as the silicon, but I really couldn’t afford the $11 a foot blue silicone hose.

Side note- the valves to the booster pump and heaters have been turned off since I’ve owned it. (Oct ‘21). I drove it for the first time in above 70 degree weather and temps got up there a few times. 218 was max. Consistent between 190-210 for the most part but I noticed it ran hotter than during the winter cold months. I live in Alabama so it’s about to get hot outside. I want to turn on these valves on to help cool things down.

Question- can I just use 1” galvanized pipe or black iron pipe in replace of the 30’ long heater hoses under the cab? I read someone might have done this but it was debatable if galvanized or black iron was better. Also what coolant should I put back in it. And I’m confused on how much concentrate vs 50/50 I should use.

Any insights or opinions are appreciated.

lcm0027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Red antifreeze is fine as long as the old was completely flushed and you're not mixing coolant types. Most Red coolant should be mixed at 50/50. Most of what I've seen in the stores is pre-diluted, don't think I've ever seen red sold as concentrated.
Silicone coolant lines are highly recommended but rubber will work. They'll just wear out faster and need replaced. Watch out for cheap hose clamps that will bite into the rubber and cause failure (leaks). Good constant tension worm drive clamps are the way to go but pricey... Like $10.00 each pricey. I would not use a galvanized pipe. You want something designed for the coolant.
It's normal to shut off the valves to the booster and heaters in the summer. Your engine should still stay cool. If you're overheating you've likely got another problem. General wisdom is stay under 210. 220-230 is "pull over and shut off" level. Some of my internationals run 180 normally and I've got one that consistently runs at 210. I'm not familiar with your engine though.
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Red antifreeze is fine as long as the old was completely flushed and you're not mixing coolant types. Most Red coolant should be mixed at 50/50. Most of what I've seen in the stores is pre-diluted, don't think I've ever seen red sold as concentrated.
Not trying to be argumentative, but this is not accurate info, and making a mistake in this department can be problematic. Red is not a chemistry, it's a color, and there are multiple chemistries of coolant which share this color. Also, concentrated coolant - including the ELC we use (which happens to be red) is very common, and absolutely needs to be mixed with distilled H20.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Apologies if I misspoke, not my intention to give bad info.

Most of the time when you see red coolant in an auto parts store it's elc and yes, it's supposed to be mixed. What I was trying to say is that it usually comes pre-mixed so adding water isn't necessary. Again you have to go off the jug. I'm sure there is concentrated elc out there I've just never come across it.

You make a good point though that just because it's red doesn't mean it's the common elc.

This is what we use.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220320-173218.jpg  
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Most of the time when you see red coolant in an auto parts store it's elc and yes, it's supposed to be mixed. What I was trying to say is that it usually comes pre-mixed so adding water isn't necessary. Again you have to go off the jug. I'm sure there is concentrated elc out there I've just never come across it.

This is what we use.

This is the exact bottle I used to fill up. It was changed to red from green. Was not mixed.

I read I can use black iron pipe vs galvanized.
lcm0027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
@Dbacks2k4,

I knew you knew exactly what you were talking about & referring to. I just didn't want someone coming in to this thread, not following the context of the conversation, and making a potentially costly mistake. Cheers.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote