Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coolant lines

So I have a rear engine Dt466 engine and the coolant lines run from the back engine all the way to the front dash to a heater and defrost. Has anyone tried rerunning these? Is there a shut off valve for them anywhere? I’ve looked but haven’t found anything. I found one with like a cable attached to it. I’ll post pictures. Any help I’d appreciated!

Ask me for a video I’m not sure if it uploaded or not lol
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

JayLikesBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Cable would be your shutoff, its metal and has an arm that rotates 90deg like a ball valve?
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
My shutoff valves are located in the engine bay, driver side near the air filter.
skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coolant lines

Yes! It does to state about 90 degrees
JayLikesBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLikesBus View Post
Yes! It does to state about 90 degrees
Ok that'll be the cutoff/blend function. If it isn't seized.

The existing hoses should have a date lettered on them. My guess it they are the same year as your bus and should be replaced. You can get bulk heater hose cheaper from Amazon.

Probably the current routing is the best, protected from chafing and road debris.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:59 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLikesBus View Post
So I have a rear engine Dt466 engine and the coolant lines run from the back engine all the way to the front dash to a heater and defrost. Has anyone tried rerunning these? Is there a shut off valve for them anywhere? I’ve looked but haven’t found anything. I found one with like a cable attached to it. I’ll post pictures. Any help I’d appreciated!

Ask me for a video I’m not sure if it uploaded or not lol
A couple of my party buses were 2005 IC RE300s - DT466e pushers. The boost pump, if equipped, should be on the firewall on the drivers side of the engine compartment. There should also be two ball valves there but they may be corroded and need replaced. The defront selector at the drivers seat will be a cable-link to another valve that runs down under the front bumper. On my party bus, that cable-link valve was busted all to hell so I just eliminated it. In the summertime I shut off the valves at the engine, so there was little benefit to me of having the valves open in the engine compartment all winter but then shutting off from the drivers seat as well.

In my case I replaced the original rubber lines with FlexFab silicone hose that will hold up better, as well as replacing most of the hose clamps with good constant-tension worm clamps instead of cheap garden hose clamps. Some of your coolant lines already run under the bus so rerouting them out of your bus would be fine, just figure out how to safely get around wheel wells, etc, and be sure to protect them with loom or old hose.

This is a video I made about updating some of the lines on my current bus. It's a conventional, but the theory is the same.

Part I:

Part II:
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:19 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Our shutoffs were also drivers side engine compartment. 2 ball valves. Hoses ran to front inside bus as you describe, to elbows just behind driver seat the out and underneath to the defogger etc. We got new hoses but reused all the metal rubber lined hangers. Shut off. 4 buckets. We cut hoses inderneath just forwatd of wheel - if you turn steering all the way left there was good room to work under there. Throw a rag over hose when you make the cut or you will get several gallons of coolant straight in the face! After drained, we pulled them out inside bus. We had no trouble restringing the lines underneath tucked in the i-beam - there should be a cable run there too- using the recycled hangers. Took 2 hours. Hardest part was going back inside and cutting out the elbows and patching the holes. Good luck. By the way, even if you dont or rarely use front heater, you want to keep that 60 feet of hose run to keep your rear engine cool.
Winter-Vale is offline   Reply With Quote