Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
Should it be easy to hear the fan engage and disengage? I hear it running but I don’t think I ever heard it really roar. I have a feeling it’s toast too but it feels fine based on googling that.

They’re not cheap and it’s hard to replace I think on the front engine bus so I May try an electric fan to see if it makes it better before spending the $400 that they seem to be.

The first time I heard the fan clutch engage in my Thomas, I thought something was wrong. It was very obvious. Turned out to be normal operation. Not used to being able to hear it. My other buses have been RE and I could not hear the fan sounds the way you can in a FE.

It should be very obvious when it engages..

From the number of FE fan clutch replacement threads here it appears that FE's may be more prone to trouble than RE or CE. Or maybe just coincidence.

Good luck.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quick update: fan clutch replaced, issue resolved. Thank you all for your help!
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
So glad to hear your problem was solved with the new fan clutch. The symptoms sure did point that way.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Just repowered a truck and had overheating issues- Horton fan was bad. Get that fixed. Internationals have poor gages I bought a pusher fan with temp gage and sender unit. Before I installed I was on a radiator forum where one guy fixed his overheating problem with a whole saw. I drilled 6 2” holes in the fender covers and my overheating problem went away. Not enough airflow to let the hot air escape. The fan electric is still going to be installed because the Horton fan sucks power and resulting in higher fuel usage. But opening those fender skirting letting hot air blow out fixed the major issue. Get a separate temp gage so you don’t blow an engine. My first engine blow due to overheating and zero buzzers or warning lights went off. Great ECM failure.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote