Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cooling system woes

Got a problem with my 1998 Blue Bird TC2000 FE 5.9 12 valve. It was taken to a trailer hitch dealer and was fine until after it arrived. When the engine was started again, there was the smell of burning insulation and smoke out of the front end. Wiring from what appeared to be a sensor on top of the upper radiator hose connection had burnt apart. This is the long vertical brass-colored piece in the lower middle of the photo. The writing harness did not seem to be hurt, just the wires where they went into the sensor. What does this sensor control? I was unaware that the fan clutch was electric. When cold the fan turns by hand; I have not observed it when hot. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.jpg  

David914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
It appears to be the electric control switch for the cooling fan. Mine is part number 8036216 for temps 172 degrees normally closed and 187 normally open. You can remove it to verify what is stamped on yours. the fan will not come on until it reaches the set temp. When that high dollar plastic surge tank gets a crack in it you will hear it for sure. I would be curious as to the reason that it decided to develop a short and fry the wiring.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I don't know if they've ever put temp sensors in that tank, but they have put coolant level sensors in them that I've had to replace.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I don't know if they've ever put temp sensors in that tank, but they have put coolant level sensors in them that I've had to replace.
True. What is in question in the pic is the brass object below the level sensor.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank You! I think the wire insulation just got crispy. I can go ahead and replace it.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Crap, I didn't even see that.

The pic was centered on the level sensor so I assumed that's what we were talking about.

I've seen those temp switches leak internally and short it out, So I'd definitely inspect the switch too before I replaced just the pigtail.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

The pigtail ( harness ) wires have burnt off completely. Now I am wwondering if I replace the sensor, will the wires burn again due to something down the [ electrical ] line.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David914 View Post
The pigtail ( harness ) wires have burnt off completely. Now I am wwondering if I replace the sensor, will the wires burn again due to something down the [ electrical ] line.
That is the reason I was wondering why the wires decided to short-out when it did. When I checked the part was not cheap, so just replacing it would not be best unless you can determine the cause. Did the trailer hitch folks do any wiring? I don't mean to say that is the reason, with bus wiring you can't be sure. Maybe someone can tell you how to diagnose this issue. Is there any wiring from the plug remaining?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

The wires burnt as they pulled the bus in their building, so
I don't believe they were at fault. I have been told that the sensor activates a solenoid which controls the fan clutch w/compressed air. As long as there is air in the rresivores, the clutch will enguage. If the problem lies with the solenoid, I would think the wiring harness would be burnt at that end. Getting to the solenoid does not appear to be a possibility. However, I could bypass the whole circuit by bypassing the solenoid and coupling the air hoses together. The fan would run continuously, but better that than not running at all.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by David914 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Crap, I didn't even see that.

The pic was centered on the level sensor so I assumed that's what we were talking about.

I've seen those temp switches leak internally and short it out, So I'd definitely inspect the switch too before I replaced just the pigtail.
The wires in the fluid level sensor appear corroded... Corrosion = resistance = heat... May or may not be the cause of melted wires but it never helps...

I've found all my wiring (except some inside the cab) has some degree of corrosion on it...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

��Thank you for your input. The wires on the harness were burnt at the top of the sensor, so I will not be able to reconnect. Wondering how much coolant will spill out when I remove the old sensor. I. Believe it is lower than the radiator cap. I will find something to use as a basin to catch any spills, as my niece has dogs & cats.