Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Cruisario control

So finely said in a Spanish tone! Curious if cruise control can be added to my 2003 AARE 8.3? Also can a Jake brake be done to it? I haven't got that far into the build but planning stuff out.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
If you do a search on this site for "add cruise control" you'll find a bunch of links to other threads on this subject. Your answers are probably in those threads.

Per the jake brake, I'm not sure. You'll have to talk to Jake. Sorry, I didn't know the answer and was being a wise ass.

Depending on your tranny, you may have some retarder type aspects already. If so, the jake brake may be redundant.

Good luck on the cruise control. I was sooooo happy when I turned my on in the ECM and it worked!
Old 06-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I've got a buddy with an ambulance with the Cummins 8.3 and he bought OEM cruise control switches (there were two) and plugged them into the harness and it worked. In his case, the cruise function was active in the ECM. I have NO idea how common this is... I defer to Steve on this, as he actually made the addition.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
So finely said in a Spanish tone! Curious if cruise control can be added to my 2003 AARE 8.3? Also can a Jake brake be done to it? I haven't got that far into the build but planning stuff out.
Jake brakes can only be fitted to heavy-duty engines. I've never seen or heard of a Jake for a Cummins 8.3 (or CT or CTA), so was it an option? The big 14-liter Cummins NH-series that Crown and Gillig used could have Jakes, along with all the Detroit engines, but lighter-duty engines such as the Cat 3208 and smaller Cummins could not use Jakes. How about using a Telma instead? Isn't there also a Spanish company that makes an electromagnetic retarder like a Telma?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Jake brakes can only be fitted to heavy-duty engines. I've never seen or heard of a Jake for a Cummins 8.3 (or CT or CTA), so was it an option? The big 14-liter Cummins NH-series that Crown and Gillig used could have Jakes, along with all the Detroit engines, but lighter-duty engines such as the Cat 3208 and smaller Cummins could not use Jakes. How about using a Telma instead? Isn't there also a Spanish company that makes an electromagnetic retarder like a Telma?

John
I watched this video about the Telma and was wondering how the excess electricity could be used to charge house batteries?

I guess you basically have to have your driveshaft resized to allow for the retarder. Pretty cool.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I watched this video about the Telma and was wondering how the excess electricity could be used to charge house batteries?

I guess you basically have to have your driveshaft resized to allow for the retarder. Pretty cool.
What excess electricity? Any electromagnetic retarder like a Telma will require a very healthy large alternator to power it, but heavy-duty vehicles usually have them anyway. A Telma doesn't produce electricity like the dynamic brakes on a locomotive; it uses power to produce eddy currents in coils that slow rotors between them by induction (or something like that!). The resultant mechanical resistance becomes heat, just like from any other braking system, but all this heat is harmlessly dissipated into the air flowing under the vehicle.

John
Old 06-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
What excess electricity? Any electromagnetic retarder like a Telma will require a very healthy large alternator to power it, but heavy-duty vehicles usually have them anyway. A Telma doesn't produce electricity like the dynamic brakes on a locomotive; it uses power to produce eddy currents in coils that slow rotors between them by induction (or something like that!). The resultant mechanical resistance becomes heat, just like from any other braking system, but all this heat is harmlessly dissipated into the air flowing under the vehicle.

John
Heat is energy. Regenerative braking uses heat to keep batteries charged. The amount of electricity used to activate the magnets could partially, maybe fully, be recaptured?

So, maybe they are not capturing / converting whatever energy is created during the retarding, but I'm pretty sure it could.

Why not?
Old 06-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Regenerative braking uses heat to keep batteries charged. The amount of electricity used to activate the magnets could partially, maybe fully, be recaptured?
Please explain.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didnt think the Telma is a motor, I thought the magnetics are actually to create extra resistance.. i dont think there is a stator and rotor tuned to be a reverse force but a force that on a motor would result in a locked rotor which uses energy not creates it..

i think there were some retarders that were essentially dynamic braking motors that had large resistor packs to dissipate the energy.. I didnt watch the video but thought the telma is a different principle
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Yeah, but the cost to figure out and install mountings for that may make it a moot point. I was hoping I could just fit an engine brake. Love my engine brake on my Laramie truck. It never gets turned off! (I have to remember to turn it on every time I drive the truck..)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Yeah, but the cost to figure out and install mountings for that may make it a moot point. I was hoping I could just fit an engine brake. Love my engine brake on my Laramie truck. It never gets turned off! (I have to remember to turn it on every time I drive the truck..)
Hello Simon
I believe your Dodge Laramie is a PAC-BRAKE exhaust brake and not a true engine Jake brake. So why not fit your bus with a PAC Brake system?
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I didnt think the Telma is a motor, I thought the magnetics are actually to create extra resistance.. i dont think there is a stator and rotor tuned to be a reverse force but a force that on a motor would result in a locked rotor which uses energy not creates it..

i think there were some retarders that were essentially dynamic braking motors that had large resistor packs to dissipate the energy.. I didnt watch the video but thought the telma is a different principle
I get that regenerative braking uses the kinetic energy and makes the motor a generator.

And I'm not saying I'm right here, I'm just thinking out loud, that Thelma is still creating heat and resistance. It's they're away to capture that energy for charging the house batteries?
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote