Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cruise Control Question

Hi folks. 2004 International with the T444e and Allison 2000. Used the cruise control for first time. I know on a car you just tap the brakes to disengage, but in the bus I had to really step on the brake to get it to disengage. A bit scary the first time! Is this normal, can it be adjusted, or is this something I should be worried about? Thank you.

Ccantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccantine View Post
Hi folks. 2004 International with the T444e and Allison 2000. Used the cruise control for first time. I know on a car you just tap the brakes to disengage, but in the bus I had to really step on the brake to get it to disengage. A bit scary the first time! Is this normal, can it be adjusted, or is this something I should be worried about? Thank you.

if your bus has air brakes, the cruise uses the same switches as the brake lights whiuch are actovated by actual air pressure going into the brake system so it takes a good press to cancel it..

if its hydraulic brakes then there is a bit of pedal travel before it triggers the brake switch
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I went for a ride this weekend and noticed the same thing. Not a fan of how much pedal pressure it takes to cancel the cruise. I'm thinking I might add another momentary push button to my switch panel that will activate the brake lights and cancel the cruise.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
not a bad idea putting a switch on the dash,

there are 2 brake switches on the pedal for redundancy, not sure if only "tripping" one circuit will cause the ECM to throw a code or not.. only one way to find out..

if you do throw a brake switch code then cruise is disable for the duration of the key cycle
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. Yes, I have air brakes so I guess that is what is going on. I also noticed that it takes a bit of travel on the brake pedal before the brake lights turn on. Appreciate the feedback!
Ccantine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control