Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cummins 8.3 or DT466E? And rebuild costs?

Would you take a ISC Cummins 8.3 or a DT466E?

What is the difference between an ISC Cummins 8.3 and a regular Cummins 8.3 I noticed the one im looking at says ISC.

And can anyone tell me are both of these engines able to be rebuilt in frame and at a lower cost than engines that cant be rebuilt in frame?

Does anyone know the cost of a total rebuild at a garage in the engine does go?

I was leaning towards getting a gas engine just in case the engine ever went since it would be alot less to replace but everyone is saying diesel is so much better....

Any advice/info is appreciated...

LennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Rebuild cost is going to be a lot regardless of which engine you choose. They are both wet sleeve motors so they can be rebuilt with the block inside the vehicle (theoretically, I don't see how this is possible on a pusher chassis but ymmv).

The 8.3 Cummins has an edge over the DT466 by virtue of its larger displacement although this can vary depending on the factory ECM settings for either engine. The 8.3 Cummins is a lot harder to find in school buses than the DT466.

The ISC is/was the electronically controlled version, 1999 was the first model year for it. Prior to that the 8.3 Cummins was called the CTA and had mechanical injectors.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote