Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Davco "visible" fuel filters - an installation video.

Hi gang,

I've put Davco fuel filters in every diesel bus or truck I own. I also put them in lots of customers' buses. I finally got around to installing one in Stevie, our Crown, and documented it in a video...which, hopefully, might help someone else.

https://youtu.be/In-G1_MIWDA

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Just ordered a 243 for my bus. Looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread for helping diagnose a fuel issue. (Which thankfully I do not have...)

I really do appreciate the videos that you make.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
Just ordered a 243 for my bus. Looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread for helping diagnose a fuel issue. (Which thankfully I do not have...)

I really do appreciate the videos that you make.
Right on, I actually helped someone! Wait until I tell Kara...

I do think they're pretty fantastic.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Any improvement that these have over a racor style? I already have a 10micron water separator on the frame rails.

I'm actually adding a 10micron and 2 micron for my generator, but thinking about deleting my Cummins filter (on the block) for a 2 micron raycor.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Any improvement that these have over a racor style? I already have a 10micron water separator on the frame rails.
I don't know all their products, but the Racors I've seen have the clear bowl at the bottom. They make nice stuff, but those don't indicate when the filter media is getting clogged...at least I don't know that they do. I just think the way the Davcos work is cool.

Keep in mind, anyone reading this...the Davco filters only work as planned on the suction side of the fuel pump. If you put them on the pressure side of your lift pump, they just fill up and work like any other filter.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:27 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Thanks Ross. That's the first I've heard of those style filters, and I'm sold. How do you know what size for a particular engine?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Great video! I have a Davco sitting on my shelf waiting for me to find time to install it. They also have the options to heat the fuel with a 120v element and the engine coolant.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:06 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Thanks Ross. That's the first I've heard of those style filters, and I'm sold. How do you know what size for a particular engine?
If you go to their site, you'll see they each have a gallons-per-hour rating. The 243 I showed is rated for 60gph...way more than I need! And it looks like that's the smallest one they have on their site now, although I do have a couple of used 233 filter housings which are smaller. Here's a link to the 243:

https://www.davco.com/products/diesel-pro-243.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Great video! I have a Davco sitting on my shelf waiting for me to find time to install it. They also have the options to heat the fuel with a 120v element and the engine coolant.
Thanks for the kind review! I have the 12V heater in mine, but just because that's what came in it (used). They also have a 24V, which would have been nice for my bus. While I do have a 12V take-off point, my bus native voltage is 24V. I don't actually plan on being anywhere I need a fuel heater, but it's a good backup to have I guess.

For the 120V element, I believe I read that you can leave that one plugged in overnight along with your block heater.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Those davco units are nice. Especially with how the filter "life" is displayed. That's very handy if you pack on the miles.

I've got a racor on mine. I don't think there is much of a filtration efficiency difference between them, they're both 99%+ efficient with water, and can come in whatever micron you desire. I went with the racor because the whole unit new cost me 50 bucks, whereas the cheapest new davco I could find was 400. Even used davcos went for more then my new racor.

Granted, I won't know when the filter is plugging, but the little bit I drive the bus, I'll just throw a new one on it every few years.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:29 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Those davco units are nice. Especially with how the filter "life" is displayed. That's very handy if you pack on the miles.

I've got a racor on mine. I don't think there is much of a filtration efficiency difference between them, they're both 99%+ efficient with water, and can come in whatever micron you desire. I went with the racor because the whole unit new cost me 50 bucks, whereas the cheapest new davco I could find was 400. Even used davcos went for more then my new racor.

Granted, I won't know when the filter is plugging, but the little bit I drive the bus, I'll just throw a new one on it every few years.
I have a new Racor 900FH to replace my original 900FG whose bowl is now so murky that I can't see any water if it accumulated there: I fitted a fuel heater into the FH (the FG can't fit one), and a Water-In-Fuel probe and its display box. I also have a Racor VFG80 filter restriction gauge that will connect to the FH's output: it's not as convenient as the Davco's visible restriction indication, but it will work. The original FG has a 2-micron filter, then there's a secondary Fleetguard FF5206 filter on the engine; I don't know why Crown set it up this way, but I'll probably keep it the same with the new FH.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

That sounds like a good setup, John. Did you add or build a water-in-fuel sensor display box? I have a WIF sensor for the Davco I installed in Stevie, but my old Crown doesn't have a circuit for that. It seems like a pretty easy component to build, but I'd like to not reinvent your wheel.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:09 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Please forgive me for this anal-retentive follow-up question regarding davco sizing:

My engine has a published spill rate (fuel passed thru filter/pump/injectors etc. and returned to tank) of 0.9 gal/min. That's 54 gph. I probably burn 9-ish gph for normal driving. Altogether, that's 63 gph. Is the 60 gph davco 243 "close enough", or would I need to bump up to the 382, which is capable of up to 180 gph? I don't have a lot of space available, so the 243's smaller size is tempting.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Please forgive me for this anal-retentive follow-up question regarding davco sizing:

My engine has a published spill rate (fuel passed thru filter/pump/injectors etc. and returned to tank) of 0.9 gal/min. That's 54 gph. I probably burn 9-ish gph for normal driving. Altogether, that's 63 gph. Is the 60 gph davco 243 "close enough", or would I need to bump up to the 382, which is capable of up to 180 gph? I don't have a lot of space available, so the 243's smaller size is tempting.
Well...I'm getting out of my comfort zone here, if I'm going to answer with facts I can cite. But I did have a 243 on a 6-71 (normally aspirated) and it worked just fine. And I just put a 243 on my 8V71, on which I expect no issues. I do believe you're right about the spill rate...I've always planned on about a gallon a minute.

The 243 units I've got came from semi trucks with larger engines than I have in anything except our Sterling. And the fuel passages inside the filter are larger than the IDs of the fittings which were factory-installed on my Crown. So that's a long way of saying I think it's fine, without having anything I can point you to.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:08 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Well...I'm getting out of my comfort zone here....[snip]
Haha, didn't mean to put you in the hot seat! But thanks for sharing your experience anyway. It's good to hear that you've used one sucessfully on a 6-71 NA. According to my manual, they had the same fuel spill rate as the turbocharged versions. If I wanted an 'official' answer I'd reach out to Davco, and they would certainly say "63 gph is 3 too many, you need the giant model".

My understanding is that 2-stroke Detroits use all that extra fuel flow to cool the injectors. I'm assuming that the engine will use however much fuel it needs to make boom boom noises. The remaining theoretical 3 gph in excess of the Davco's capacity will simply not be returned to the tank, resulting in a tiny, tiny decrease in cooling. And that's assuming the spill rate numbers in my engine service manual are 100% accurate, which I doubt they were from the factory, let alone on a 35 year old engine.

I'll start calling around for a used 243. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
That sounds like a good setup, John. Did you add or build a water-in-fuel sensor display box? I have a WIF sensor for the Davco I installed in Stevie, but my old Crown doesn't have a circuit for that. It seems like a pretty easy component to build, but I'd like to not reinvent your wheel.
I bought the WIF probe (hint: don't overtighten them...) and put it into the bowl myself, and bought the small Racor RK20725 water detection module that has a green and a red light. I'll connect everything together when the engine is removed to repair its camshaft(s) or camshaft drive gears, whatever it is that failed last year: it will be easier to replace the old 900FG when the engine's out of the way. Strangely, my bus has a sensor of some sort in the old FG's bowl that's connected to something that I've not been able to trace, but the sensor isn't the same as the usual Racor WIF one, and there's no electronic module or warning light anywhere for it. You may want to check if the Racor and Davco WIF probes work similarly, just in case they produce different ohms or something.

John
Old 02-12-2023, 03:49 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Haha, didn't mean to put you in the hot seat! But thanks for sharing your experience anyway. It's good to hear that you've used one sucessfully on a 6-71 NA. According to my manual, they had the same fuel spill rate as the turbocharged versions. If I wanted an 'official' answer I'd reach out to Davco, and they would certainly say "63 gph is 3 too many, you need the giant model".

My understanding is that 2-stroke Detroits use all that extra fuel flow to cool the injectors. I'm assuming that the engine will use however much fuel it needs to make boom boom noises. The remaining theoretical 3 gph in excess of the Davco's capacity will simply not be returned to the tank, resulting in a tiny, tiny decrease in cooling. And that's assuming the spill rate numbers in my engine service manual are 100% accurate, which I doubt they were from the factory, let alone on a 35 year old engine.

I'll start calling around for a used 243. Thanks again!
Crown equipped my bus with a 90 GPH Racor for good reason, whatever that may be: they could easily have used a smaller cheaper one such as the 60 GPH Racor 500FG, but chose to not do so. I generally don't question the Crown engineers' and designers' reasoning on most things, and I never do so when it comes to anything engine-related! All unit-injected Detroits move a lot of fuel through the engine, even though only a tiny fraction of it is turned into power/smoke/noise. I prefer to use things that are not running at or close to their maximum capacity, so for me a 90 GPH primary filter is preferable to one that's working at its limit. But that's just me!

Isambard Kingdom John
Old 02-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Most filter ratings are determined based off what it can achieve with a certain pressure drop. It doesn't mean that a 60 gph filter won't flow 61gph, it just means that it will do so at a different pressure drop.

I tend to oversize filters and such for more then I need, but you will likely will have no issues running a 243 on a 671.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
lets get this one going again for the ones who use them before i make a purchase.
engine is going to be a 360 hp DT360.
was looking at the davco 385 but the 382 seems to be more readily available and a little cheaper not by much new but there are tons of 382s on ebay but no 385s that i have found.
they are both rated for the same flows.
wondering what the difference is if any one knows specifics about these two.
thanks.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
Hi and Thanks grabbed a 243, WIF Question

The bluebird all american has a 2 wire connection to the WIF on the original filters. Wix 33231. 33422

The davco came with a three wire... is there a way to wire the 3 to the 2 and have it work?

Or do I need to replace the wif with a 2 wire?

Thanks
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote