Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins 5.9L
DFW Diesel Mechanics

Anyone know of a reasonably priced diesel mechanic in the DFW area? Or bonus points if you are handy with front inframe 5.9l, I'd rather pay someone who can also teach me a thing or two. I've called a few places and no one seems to have the time or the facilities to handle the scope of the job.

Finally got the bus home, after driving it back from Iowa and come to find out the front seal is leaking. I guess it happen pretty close to home, considering there was still a "within the normal range" oil left. It was late so I went to bed, got up the next morning and saw the entire underside of the bus had fresh oil all over it. Today I had a mechanic take a look and he showed me where it was coming from, they had no where to recommend either.

Mtrx804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #2

DFW / Dallas Mechanic

Bumping this thread -- I just bought a converted 2003 Bluebird and would love any recommendations on skoolie mechanics in the DFW area!
transfigured321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Check out Mike's Diesel Repair, he was awesome. It took a little longer than I wanted but he did great work and followed up after to make sure everything was going strong.
He also was smart about his recommendations. For example I had an issue with from main seal, he said while he was in there might as well replace belts and tensioner as well as water pump since they were original.
I had others flat out say "rebuild the motor" because of one thing or another. When he began looking at it he said those shops were full of it.

My 01 bluebird was his first bus but he took on the job since ultimately a diesel is a diesel.

Mike's Diesel Repair
(214) 532-2339
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yYain5hrPUmDRRTE7
Old 03-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I can no longer recommend them, I dropped my bus off at their shop in October 2022 to have the engine (which i provided from a reputable builder) replaced and its still not completed.
They moved shops in December, didn't tell me and left my bus without an engine for who knows how long also with the dog nose off so who knows what could easily crawl in there. I ended up having to pay to have $700 to tow it 1 mile to my storage place across the street. Thankfully the engine was in by this time but they left the front end completely disassembled.
I'm working with another mechanic now and can keep you updated on their service if you need someone to take a look.