Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Draining Air Tanks

I'm starting to feel kind of guilty lately for never draining my air tanks, as I hear everybody say to do that. I start/drive the bus a short distance roughly every 3-7 days but never purge the tanks. I got under there today and saw four tanks, each with a valve, no labels as to which is which. Two identical sets of tanks on each side. Anybody know the tanks for a 2003 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX (CAT 3126 / Allison MD3060)? Do I need to purge all four?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220409_182449212.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	64691

I also can't find an air dryer cartridge *anywhere*. Two things only slightly look like they could be air dryer assemblies (I have no idea). One all the way up front by the horn:

Name:	air dryer assembly maybe 1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	64689

The other in the back by the transmission:

Name:	air dryer assembly maybe 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	64690

Thanks for any help

JacobFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Bottom pic is your air dryer. Middle pic is your steering gear (attached to the steering wheel). Purge all the tanks if your testing .mine never have any water come out. The wet tank is usually way in the front and would be the wetest.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Bottom pic is your air dryer. Middle pic is your steering gear (attached to the steering wheel). Purge all the tanks if your testing .mine never have any water come out. The wet tank is usually way in the front and would be the wetest.
Wow that's amazing how you know that just by looking at the pics of dirty assemblies. I didn't think anyone would know, thanks a lot.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Those are really clean. Mine is all crammed together. If you have air brake, I suggest you make a diagram and figure out what goes where before your on the side of the road trying to learn. Grease everything while your down there.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yup, not bad advice. I'm getting ready to grease, oil change, transmission fluid, etc. First maintenance service.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFerguson View Post
Yup, not bad advice. I'm getting ready to grease, oil change, transmission fluid, etc. First maintenance service.
I went ahead and bought a good grease gun and a locking nozzle. Buses have grease fittings everywhere and it's a great time to figure out what's what.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I went ahead and bought a good grease gun and a locking nozzle. Buses have grease fittings everywhere and it's a great time to figure out what's what.
Right, I picked up my first one at HF months back... have yet to use it. Will be learning soon, Johnny Mullet's got some nice videos on YouTube for it.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
[QUOTE=JacobFerguson;469395]I'm starting to feel kind of guilty lately for never draining my air tanks, as I hear everybody say to do that. I start/drive the bus a short distance roughly every 3-7 days but never purge the tanks. I got under there today and saw four tanks, each with a valve, no labels as to which is which. Two identical sets of tanks on each side. Anybody know the tanks for a 2003 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX (CAT 3126 / Allison MD3060)? Do I need to purge all four?
Attachment 64691

Did you ever find out how to drain all 4 tanks? Only the two little ones on mine have spigots on them. Maybe that’s all we need to do? The little one is the “wet” tank?

Same bus as you!
☮️Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Did you ever find out how to drain all 4 tanks? Only the two little ones on mine have spigots on them. Maybe that’s all we need to do? The little one is the “wet” tank?

Same bus as you!
☮️Dave
All four of mine have valves. I don't think any are wet though. Honestly I've stopped worrying about it ever since I asked an expert technician on JustAnswer.com. I'll go ahead and share that conversation below and you can make your own call. This tech is my main heavy machinery / diesel tech on the whole site, really smart and has helped me out with a lot of stuff, so I definitely trust his judgment. He says it's not something to worry about...

https://www.justanswer.com/medium-an...-finished.html
Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Thanks. I’m not worrying about it either. I will change the dryer element next fall. But not this summer! [emoji50][emoji1743]

Ya know, most of us couldn’t have done this skoolie shtuf 25 years ago without this forum.

[emoji3522]Dave
Old 05-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Thanks. I’m not worrying about it either. I will change the dryer element next fall. But not this summer! [emoji50][emoji1743]

Ya know, most of us couldn’t have done this skoolie shtuf 25 years ago without this forum.

[emoji3522]Dave
And further confirmation... (I'm working on replacing my cartridge right now - it was not fun figuring out how to get the cover off, I had to take down the whole assembly), but if you have the same bus as me you should have the same air dryer / cartridge I do believe, which apparently is called the Bendix AD-9. Here's mine.

That JA tech just sent me the whole manual. It confirms tanks only need to be purged and checked for moisture every 3 months (1 month recommended) because of the AD-9, and the cartridge (element) itself only needs replacing every 3 years on a school bus with low air use [see pgs 5, 23].

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYK...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05-18-2022, 05:16 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Yep. That’s the one I have.
Great info.
Thanks! ☮️Dave